R/R?

JTIrwin27

Scooter
Can anyone me what the R/R is? Ive read that these are known to leave you stranded somewhere. I know it has something to do with battery etc...

JTIrwin27

Scooter
Ahhhh. It coverts ac to dc. Are these from factory known to go bad. I see a lot of people installing triumphs replacement kit. Faces it towards rear tire for better cooling instead of in towards the motor. If this is an issue id prefer to spend a little money now to avoid the tow truck later.

neuroboy

750cc
yeah, i've heard this. not a guaranteed failure and it ain't cheap to replace. on the flip side it not only strands you but it might hurt other parts, too. i bought my bike used (an '09) so i'm hoping that issue has been vetted.

you can get more info from other boards.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
neuroboy, please dont link to TRN from this forum.

JT - get with JCW next time we ride. He has a supplier for a better aftermarket rectifier - that's cheaper and more powerful than OEM .. that is, when/if the time arises you are in need of one. I highly doubt your new bike is going to fail anytime soon and I really wouldnt be upgrading those kind of parts while the bike is still really BRAND FREAKING NEW ... and under warranty. ;)

Ootnaboot

Scooter
The one on my Thruxton went bad (while leaned over at 65mph+ in a tight corner on a rural road leaving me stranded about 100 miles away from home). Rather than replace mine with the SCR type that came from the factory, I replaced it with a MOSFET unit. It's a better unit (much better at dissipating heat than the SCR type), and it was over $200 cheaper than an OE r/r. If you do get one, here's where I and most others get them from: www.regulatorrectifier.com