Question for those who winterize

So I just installed new spark plugs, changed oil and filter, new battery in the bike after a mild winter. The tank was painted, so there was no gas in there and I just put in a gallon of new fuel.

When I started the bike, it ran pretty well sitting there. Started after about 8 seconds on the button as fuel flowed into the carbs. It idled pretty good and I took it for a very small ride down the street. Everything seemed fine, though the RPM stayed below 2k.

When I got back into the garage I let it idle for 5 minutes or so and then started rolling on the throttle gradually. I got a couple little backfires but it seemed okay.

I revved to about 3k RPM (about as high as I like to go just sitting there) and I heard this strange clack noise. Just one sudden CLACK, pretty loud and nothing else. It then just continued idling normally. I noticed a little bit of smoke coming off the bike down by the leftside exhaust header, sort of near the connector pipe so I got down and took a look. Bike still idling fine, I didn't see anything noticeable, but the smoke kept coming.

It wasn't a lot, and it could have been WD-40 burning off or something, as I cleaned the motor, frame and exhaust with WD-40 about 3 days ago.

I revved it a bit again and it Clacked again, albeit less loudly. I let it idle another 2 minutes or so and revved up to 3k again, holding it for about 15 seconds, then let it idle again. No more smoke, steam, or whatever it was, and the idle was fine.

Any cause for concern here? I'm kind of an alarmist with my motors and shit, so I started dreadfully thinking something was really wrong, stuck rings, piston smacking into a spark plug or something?? I don't know.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Die Hard batteries? I bought one at sears, but there was no one at the counter to look up compatibility so I just bought one that seemed to be right. It's number is 14-BS, 12 volt, 12 Ah.

Thanks dudes.

strokerlmt

Every time I use WD40 and then start the bike I wonder where the smoke is coming from. When I had the bike apart for 5 weeks it had some grunts and groans when she fired up. I had a couple of small back fires and pops then she settled down. Watch it for the first longer ride but probably nothing to worry about.
LMT

Thanks man. I feel like it's just getting back into shape, so we'll just see how that first ride goes! Worst case scenario, it explodes and I have to buy a Daytona! : D

Oh and there's no problem using a battery at 12v 12 Ah, right? The manual states that the bike uses a 12v 10Ah battery, but isn't Ah a measure of how much juice the battery holds? I don't think it would have any impact on charging rate or anything. It's simply a measure of how long the battery can supply power at a set rate, right?

Motley

750cc
I heard that "clack" once, and only once, after starting the bike for the first time one spring, a couple of years ago. To my ear it was defintely the cam chain slapping in it's tunnel. It hasn't done it since and there doesn't seem to have been any lasting effects. It was worrying though, when it happened.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
If you are really worried, pop the cover off and check the rocking gear etc and do a compression check. Being in Australia I don't need to park my bike up over the winter but just an idea would be before starting up after a long sit would be to pop the plugs, jack the back wheel up, knock it into top gear and turn the motor over by hand a few times just to make sure that nothing has stuck and no fuel has run into the cylinders which could cause hydraulic lock on start up (Draining the tank would be better before storing to prevent this happening), maybe even squirt some WD40 in the spark plug holes just to give it a little pre lube on the rings and cylinder wall, then if all turns over nicely drop the oil and go from there.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I've since been told dropping the fuel may cause the tank to rust over time and a full tank is better with an additive for storing. With that knowledge I would still be tempted to disconnect the supply from the tank to carbies/injectors and plug them up, just in case the fuel tap has a slight leak and as mentioned you don't want it running in and filling up the cylinder/s.

Depending on how much you put on, WD40 will smoke and smell (not a bad smell) for the next couple of days and slowly just decrease until nothing.

Come to think of it my 06 T100 makes a clack sound every now and then and to me it sounds like it is coming from the carby. I have never really looked into it because the bike runs fine and by the time I get home I have forgotten about it........ until now

I've winterized for 3 years and no problems I was just paranoid about the clacking noise. I think it's all good though. Thanks guys!

strokerlmt

Hey man......how would you like to go to sleep for months then get all the juices flowing again with no groans or grunts. Shit everydayyyyyyy I wake up before 500am and have to stretch for 45 minutes to get "me" going again. I couldn't do it after 3-4-5 months down ;-)))))
LMT

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I'm just guessing here but whatever is at the top of the motor gets lubed last and it might take a few miles to get whatever doohickies are up there totally loosened up.

My knowledge of motors is vast and empty....