Question for Maine Residents...

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Last year, while on our way to the east coast of Canada, we rode through the eastern US states. And while we were in Maine, I saw alot of houses with 5 point, I am guessing nautical, stars (no, not pentagrams) on them. So my question is:

What is with the big stars on the houses?

curezee

Street Tracker
Last year, while on our way to the east coast of Canada, we rode through the eastern US states. And while we were in Maine, I saw alot of houses with 5 point, I am guessing nautical, stars (no, not pentagrams) on them. So my question is:

What is with the big stars on the houses?

These stars are very common in the northeast and especially New England, not just Maine. Traditionally they started off as a farmers good luck charm. Now I think people display them for a country rustic look as well as for military support symbols.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I also know that William(?) Macy of Macy's Dept store used a red star in his logo because he had a tattoo of it on his hand and when he was a seaman felt that a star guided him out of danger on time while out at sea. They still have it.

loxpump

Rocker
I saw them on just about every other house in Chester County PA, Amish country when we were out there a couple years ago. We have a similar item here in the midwest on old brick homes and buildings. Those are the ends of ties for un reinforced brick walls. They would run a steel rod, usually in more than one place parallel to the floor or ceiling joists from wall to wall. On a wood framed building they're purely architectural. You know Artsy Fartsy.

http://www.pbase.com/james2002/stars

Hedge

American Infidel
I believe Muslim extremists live in those homes and the Military covertly installs those symbol/signs at night-time on their dwellings so that a JDAM can lock onto it.