Q? re Thruxton bars on a Bonneville

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Now that I have Thruxton bars on my '08 Bonneville I have a slight issue - at full lock either way the controls just hit the tank. At first I installed them upside down and they just cleared the tank. Now I have them installed the same way as on the Thruxton, ie pointing downwards at the ends they definitely hit the tank.

So I had a look at a Thruxton at a dealership and saw that the risers were higher than on the Bonnie. So I put Thruxton risers on my bike but still the bars make contact with the tank at full lock. It doesn't matter what angle I put the bars on at the risers, they still make contact.

So I wonder - does the Thruxton have a shorter range of steering? I'm thinking of sticking something to the steering stops to stop the front wheel turning so far to stop the bars just short of hitting the tank. I am really happy with the riding position now and the bike looks great.

Any ideas?

Craigore

TT Racer
When I had M-Bars (norman hyde brand) on my Bonneville, they would hit the tank as well in the "upside down" position.

i don't think the thruxton has a shorter steering range. may have to do with the difference in degrees of "rake"?

longer vs. shorter wheelbase?

Not sure.

Motley

750cc
As Craigore mentioned, the rake on the Thruxton is steeper than on the Bonnie iirc, so this might be your problem.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
I installed the Thruxton bars on my 2003 Bonnie and they do not touch the tank at full lock!

Granted there is only 1/4" clearance but the bars were set at a comfortable position and fit perfectly.

805733d7.jpg

bonZa

Street Tracker
I installed the Thruxton bars on my 2003 Bonnie and they do not touch the tank at full lock!

Granted there is only 1/4" clearance but the bars were set at a comfortable position and fit perfectly.

'08 has a larger tank than an '03, maybe thats the reason. fit 1" risers and that should resolve the problem

dschief

750cc
The difference in rake angle between a Bonnie and a Thruxton is down to the length of the rear shocks, the frames are the same. I'm thinking that the issue is the increased size of the fuel tanks, as stated above.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Although my Bonnie is technically an '08, it is more like an '07 as it is carbied. I originally installed Thruxton bars "upside down", as daleCarlsbad appears to have done. They cleared the tank - just! It was when I installed the Thruxton style, ie pointing downwards, that I had clearance issues. I got some Thruxton risers which are slightly higher but still the controls hit the tank. So right now I have both the Thruxton risers and some extra height from some LSL risers adaptor thingies and I get enough space to clear the tank.

I still don't really understand why my bars hit the tank with Thruxton risers, even though they are current Thruxton bars with work on the current Thruxton! But I have my bike where it is comfy, looks good and everything works, so I'm happy.

klem

Scooter
I think the thruxton bars look OK does anyone know on a 2012 bonny if you need longer cables to put them on.
Also if i put risers on will that effect the cables??

JimmyR

Street Tracker
If anything the cables will need to be shorter. When I put Thruxton bars on my Bonnie the clutch cable melted where it hit the exhaust. So I got a Thruxton clutch cable and it clears the exhaust because it is slightly shorter. I also have a Thruxton brake cable to put on because the Bonnie brake cable is a bit too long and kinks at the triple tree.

klem

Scooter
Thank JR
Do you think risers will eliminate the need for shorter cables??
If not do you think it would be possible to manipulate the cables so as to eliminate the need for shorter ones??