Put my bike in the local show

Shameless plug. I put my T100 in the local All Bike motorcycle show last weekend just for the hell of it - didn't take any prizes and didn't expect to but it did attract a surprising amount of attention.

OK, it might have just had a shiny new engine just fitted but you gotta admit the bike looks in pretty good shape for having done 47,000Klm's (29,000 miles) over all sorts of local roads and highways including quite a bit of gravel road work.

Preparation took 5 hours but she scrubs up pretty well.

2008 Bonneville T100

bonZa

Street Tracker
where are the photos?

47,000 kilometers isnt much to need a new engine. I'm at 40,000. whats the story?

where are the photos?

47,000 kilometers isnt much to need a new engine. I'm at 40,000. whats the story?

There's a link to a video in the first post and there's plenty of photo's here:-

http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5368

The "old" engine was in perfect condition I just wanted to keep it that way and, at the rate I'm clocking up the K's, it wouldn't take long until she was all "used up" so to speak. That combined with my desire for some more HP resulted in the purchase and modification of a second engine as detailed in the thread I linked to above. The original engine has been mothballed and stored where it will wait until I either get over my HP addiction or decide to return the bike to original condition.

Last edited:
Here's a photo for those that don't want to bother with the video.

Bonnie2010Show.jpg

This is what was written on the info board that's leaning up against the bike:-

Make & Model: TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE T100

Date of Manufacture: January 2008

Date of purchase: 1st May 2008

Current Mileage: 47,000Klm's

Engine: 2007 Thruxton 865cc (fitted July 2010)

Genuine Triumph Accessories fitted:
 Centre stand
 Pillion grab rail
 Fork gaiters
 Contemporary seat

Other Accessories fitted:
 Dart flyscreen
 Clocks4Bikes stem clock

Suspension & Braking modifications:
 Ikon 7610-1602 rear shocks
 Ikon 500-102 progressive front fork springs
 Ricor Intiminator front fork valves
 Thruxton front fork preload adjusters
 Metal Gear semi floating front disk

Performance modifications:
 Wiseco 10.5 to 1 forged pistons (standard bore)
 Thunderbike TBC360B billet cams
 Inlet manifolds smoothed and port matched
 Dynojet needles and slide springs
 Modified airbox. (double entry, baffle removed, 50mm ram tubes, Unifilter)
 Ignitor reprogrammed by Twinpower (+3 degrees advance, 8,500rpm rev limit)
 Norman Hyde Classic mufflers (Toga's)
 Barnett heavy duty clutch springs
 Jack Lilley air injection removal kit

Flaco

750cc
Aussie,
Good for you mate...
My self, being one of the judges for the Tucson Vintage Motorcycle Show and Swap Meet, made sure there was a category for "Modern Classics" i.e. 1986 to present...
BTW, my eyes keeps going to the top right of your posted photo...
VINCENT!
Bike shows are tough if there is not enough categories and separation of such...
An '86 Air Head beat me out of the Modern Classic's division this year...
He would have taken first in the German category if he would have placed it in that category!
Oh well! (and no, I couldn't judge in my own category)
Lot's of fun and camaraderie is what bike shows are all about!
For a local show it looks like you had a good turn out and indoors to boot!
Allin...

Thanks fellas, it was a really good show with plenty of variety and 80 odd bikes all told. The show was very well attended and gets lots of community support/sponsorship.

I have heaps of video which I will post once I have edited, processed and uploaded it. I'm sure you'll be impressed by the quality and variety of the bikes that were on display for what is essentially a small town bike show.

Well I have the 02 model bon. And the only rust I have is pitting on the wheels chrome. Apparently the wheels were cheapies from Italy and when I pulled tyres, there is a hell of a lot of rust inside. But all else has held up well and mine is a daily ride in all weathers

T-boy

Rocker
Nice lookin' bike, Aussie!

nice! how are bonnies rain wise? do they rust easy or are all the parts alluminum (besides chrome)?

My rims still look good as far as pitting is concerned, but I've found you have to keep them polished from time to time. The fender stays on my bike look like they're just starting to pit a bit.

Aussie. Bike looks great.
Have you tested out the new motor yet? :)
What do you think?

I've done 500K's on the new engine so far, still treating it gently so no real indication yet of its capabilities except to say that it feels strong and sounds different to the original engine even though the pipes are the same. It purrs at 4,000rpm and wants to go harder, the exhaust note changes at that rpm and the engine seems to slip into another mode or something - just seems to be begging for more throttle but it'll have to wait until it's got some more miles on it.

I'm not totally happy with the amount of top end noise the engine is making though so I'm about to pull the cam cover, check valve clearances and have a good look around in there. It seems to have abnormal gear noise which I'm guessing is emanating from the straight cut cam gears - sort of a loud whirring which increases in pitch to almost a whistle as the revs rise. Hasn't gotten any worse over the 500K's, maybe decreased a bit if anything but still a bit disconcerting. You can hear it in this video:-

http://vimeo.com/13290806

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I've done 500K's on the new engine so far, still treating it gently so no real indication yet of its capabilities except to say that it feels strong and sounds different to the original engine even though the pipes are the same. It purrs at 4,000rpm and wants to go harder, the exhaust note changes at that rpm and the engine seems to slip into another mode or something - just seems to be begging for more throttle but it'll have to wait until it's got some more miles on it.

I'm not totally happy with the amount of top end noise the engine is making though so I'm about to pull the cam cover, check valve clearances and have a good look around in there. It seems to have abnormal gear noise which I'm guessing is emanating from the straight cut cam gears - sort of a loud whirring which increases in pitch to almost a whistle as the revs rise. Hasn't gotten any worse over the 500K's, maybe decreased a bit if anything but still a bit disconcerting. You can hear it in this video:-

http://vimeo.com/13290806
Does sound like teeth whine...similar to the sounds which is sometimes liked :) by roots style superchargers. FWIW if you ever heard a pre VANOS Honda VFR...they made the same noise. Victory motorcycles also 4V/cyl with large straight cut cam gears also have this sound making a case for louder pipes. ;) Pre-Vanos motors had straight cut gears versus later bikes which were redesigned to eliminate much of that noise. One thing you might consider but not sure how to resolve it is...if you installed Thunderbike cams...I believe they make these from billet and use a computer program to cut the teeth. The pitch diameter maybe a bit large or the involute shape is not cut in dead agreement with the stock cams. Its all about contact ratio which not only affects rotational friction and teeth stress but sound as well. This is likely the culprit but pure speculation. Gear whine has been something engineers have tried to tune out since the beginning. It may also dissipate with time as the cams wear in a bit. If you don't find anything blatant when pulling off the cover and you find the sound a bit disconcerting, you might want to call TB and ask for an exchange or refund. This is one area when using production cams with a weld and regrind a la 813 cams maybe positive...provided in good shape...versus having new cams created as in the case with TB where the precise production gear involute has not been created. You can also measure the min diameter of the gear involute with pins and calipers and compare it to your production cams. This isn't the only metric that is important as involute angle which is a spline and not constant radius and tooth max diameter matters as well. Tooth profile because they are compound radii is hard to measure. My guess and only that is it is how the cam teeth were cut on those particular cams. TB may even have the computer program perfect to replicate the production cam sprocket profile but the set up for your particular cams maybe off just fractionally. You may want to ask for another set or ask for your money back if dissatisfied and get some 813 cams from TPUSA. You may also want to PM AussieDave and ask his opinion on the Thunderbike cams in terms of sound. Dave I believe installed TB cams on his hotrod Scrambler...different cams of course but no doubt the program for creating the cam sprockets is identical. You could also swap in your stock cams for a reference and I suspect it will quiet down.
Good luck.
PS: You are showing excellent restrain with your new motor. After light run in, I always will spin a new motor once or twice to at least 6K to get a sense of the pull of the motor...for two reasons....one, I can never wait to feel the hp of the motor :) and two, it has never harmed break in. Break in like much of hotrodding is subjective as you know...Cheers.

Last edited: