Punctures

em_dot

Street Tracker
I'm NOT a Harley Basher

Me neither. I like Harley's pretty well. Like everything else, there are cool people and there are D-Bags. If I were to lay my cash down on an American "v-something" I'd be thinking more along the lines of a Victory Hammer S.

Then again, my daughter (ripe old age of 4 yrs) says I should get a big ole' Harley so she can ride in the big chair on the back.

Either way, I'd have mags and not worry about inner tubes!

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I have ridden my buddies Cross Bones. It get's it's name fro how your body feels after a short ride.
It scrapes while tip toeing in a corner, and has NO usuable suspension in the back or front. And of course it weighs more than any bike should.

But, let's not get me started on Harley.

PieMan

Two Stroke
t140 mudguard.jpg

This sort of thing does the job well.

Last edited:

Uesque

Scooter
I have ridden my buddies Cross Bones. It get's it's name fro how your body feels after a short ride.
It scrapes while tip toeing in a corner, and has NO usuable suspension in the back or front. And of course it weighs more than any bike should.

But, let's not get me started on Harley.

Harley's relatively new fake old bike, a variation on the springer softail:

No matter how much I want to hate the Crossbones (I'm NOT a Harley Basher, I just don't care for most of the people that ride them slowly in front of me in the twisties with their doo-rags on) I've sat on the bike a few times and it's really comfy with the big sprung-saddle, floorboards, and mini-apes. I'm sure it handles like a slow pig, but I could see cruising around on one, if it didn't cost like 3 bonnies!

Harley riders look at softtails the same way that other riders look at Harleys. :lol2:

I never got the Crossbones, it's supposed to look stripped down and then they put the floorboards and massive brake and shifter pedals from the touring bikes on them.

Half an explanation (is it better than none?)

I can't quite see how the front flap stops flats. On the other hand, unless you are pounding a dirtbike through the rocks it is pretty rare to get a flat on a front tire. Nails, screws, etc. just don't land on the road standing upright waiting to attack, in most cases they get spun upright by your front tire just in time for the rear to come along. If the front flap works (and I believe it can) it must block, stop or otherwise redirect some of those sharp things, question is how?

Bruce

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
I'd rather fix a flat every other day then put that giant ugly ass flipper on my fender

second of all, why would a front mud flap prevent rear flats? I don't see the reasoning

PieMan

Two Stroke
I believe "Fire Escape" has it right. I discovered it while despatch riding in London and covering over 50K miles a year. I used to get at least two punctures a month in the rear, after I fitted the mudflap this went down to maybe one or two a year.

I have to agree it's not the prettiest solution, but it works. There is nothing worse than going out for a days ride and getting a puncture, it generally wrecks your day. Also, it's scary shit having a high speed puncture on a tubed tyre, they don't tend to stay up for long, unlike tubeless.

I'm moving to tubeless on the Bonnie next year, so punctures won't be so much of a problem.

Last edited: