Protecting the Shiny Bits

WetSparks

Scooter
Hi all,

I'm sure Ive seen a thread somewhere re: crash bars, but can I find it!

Not ridding me T100 at the moment as I'm nursing a broken ankle. Going round a tight right hander (two up) the rear lost it on something slippery on the road surface. I managed to correct it out and get the bike upright and straight, but going straight on a bend is not what you want to be doing:eeek:

Came off the road into the verge which was a mixture of cricket ball sized rocks and moss. Got the bike down to about 15 mph before we went over, left side down.

Surprisingly the only damage to the bike is, a scuff on the front mud guard and bottom fork leg, broken Givi screen and broken gear change rubber mounting bolt. There is also a little scuffing to the side of the Givi top box, but nothing to write home about.

Personnel damage amounts to both helmets damaged and both left side boots wrecked, see mine:

Boot.jpg

Yep, my boot got caught between the engine casing and the rocks, thus preventing any damage to all the shiny bits, just a shame me foot was in it at the time:hurt:

So the question is, what type of bars would be best to help prevent this should I ever end up dropping the bike again ?????

DavidC

Rocker
Good thing your foot was there! You could have ruined the motor cases!
Don't have guards but have read the Triumph brand do the job well.

Shorty

Two Stroke
Got a set of Renntec engine guards from newbonneville.com at $197. I thought they looked better than the Hepco-Becker at about $240. Took about 45 minutes to install. For the difference in price plus a couple of bucks I complemented the guards with a nice set of billeted MC Enterprises cruise pegs.

Shorty

MOSES

750cc
Glad it wasnt worse Man ! I had a close one last week...

Got a set of Renntec engine guards from newbonneville.com at $197. I thought they looked better than the Hepco-Becker at about $240. Took about 45 minutes to install. For the difference in price plus a couple of bucks I complemented the guards with a nice set of billeted MC Enterprises cruise pegs.

Shorty

Post some pics shorty I haven't seen any pics but the NB pics

WetSparks

Scooter
Good thing your foot was there! You could have ruined the motor cases!
Don't have guards but have read the Triumph brand do the job well.

Yep, bikes cost to repair, bones heal for free.

Not quite the way my wife see it though!!!

Shorty

Two Stroke
Moses...I'll try to take some this weekend. My camera is acting kind of weird, but it might just be a battery issue.

Shorty

Gretsch

Rocker
Hmmmm.... I was thinking of taking my bars off to improve the look. You just changed my mind. Heal quick!

MOSES

750cc
Moses...I'll try to take some this weekend. My camera is acting kind of weird, but it might just be a battery issue.

Shorty

Sweet Man ! Post up a Crash Bars Thread, I know alot of people are curious about them.

Thanks

Shorty

Two Stroke
Here's some pics I took yesterday of the Renntec Crash Bars. Personally I like the styling better (they don't look like a big "O" mounted to the front), and I like the extra protection given by the side tubes that protect the cylinder head.
I tried to show the bottom mount which is a steel bar mounted to both of the frame downtubes with "U" clamps. The upper portion is attached by replacing the engine mounting bolt with a larger one. All hardware is supplied with the kit.
The highway pegs are MC Enterprises which are slightly less in cost than the Kuryakins, but of the same quality.

I've also included a pic or two of the "Thermos" stainless steel Speedo and Tach modification using the Walmart $10 thermos.

Shorty

WetSparks

Scooter
Yes, thanks for those pic's. Just about to place an order for a set for me T100 :up:

Also fancy a set of the highway pegs but as I've just found a chunk out of the side wall on me brand new front BT45 they will have to wait.

Shorty

Two Stroke
You're welcome. Yesterday was the first time they came in use. My better half and I were getting ready to go on our monthly 300 mile ride with some buddies. Pulled out of my driveway and got to the stop sign at the end of the street. I killed the bike, the wife slammed into me and we did a slow motion dump to the left. No dammage other than my pride.

Shorty

WetSparks

Scooter
Wow, glad your OK. Mine are on order now, cant wait to get them fitted and get back on the bike. Plaster comes off this Thursday so hopefully by the weekend I will be able to wiggle the gear lever and get some mile in :woot:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Ok, I need to hear from those of you who have the Renntec bars. Do they come out enough to protect the shifter from breaking off or being pushed back into the case? I honestly never had any intention of putting bars on the bonnie, but I was riding with a friend last week when he went into a ditch at fairly slow speed. Luckily he was unhurt, but I think that his crash bar saved his shifter and floorboard. Otherwise, the trip may have ended, 800 miles from home. As it was, we just had to bend the bars back out, and make some slight roadside adjustments to the floorboard/shifter, and we were back on the road. Got me thinking I probably need something.

sportyone

Street Tracker
Ok, I need to hear from those of you who have the Renntec bars. Do they come out enough to protect the shifter from breaking off or being pushed back into the case? I honestly never had any intention of putting bars on the bonnie, but I was riding with a friend last week when he went into a ditch at fairly slow speed. Luckily he was unhurt, but I think that his crash bar saved his shifter and floorboard. Otherwise, the trip may have ended, 800 miles from home. As it was, we just had to bend the bars back out, and make some slight roadside adjustments to the floorboard/shifter, and we were back on the road. Got me thinking I probably need something.

yeah, I reckon they could be good value, not keen on the standard looking sets about though, most are too basic and don't suit the look of the Bonneville.
so I am making up a set , should have them finished soon, so I will post some pics then ! :chin:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
So how 'bout it, anyone have these? Or what about the LSL sliders. I have those on my 'hawk, but luckily haven't crash tested 'em. The ones on the Bonnie look like they are mounted too low, so if the bike went over I would think that gravity would carry the top of the bike (tank and such) over past the point of the sliders, essentially making the sliders a fulcrum point. The ones for the 'Hawk are higher, almost under the tank. Thoughts???

sportyone

Street Tracker
yeah, I reckon they could be good value, not keen on the standard looking sets about though, most are too basic and don't suit the look of the Bonneville.
so I am making up a set , should have them finished soon, so I will post some pics then ! :chin:

well guys, all done, take a look !
:c

Attachments

• DSCN0070A.jpg
    DSCN0070A.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0073A.jpg
    DSCN0073A.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0083A.jpg
    DSCN0083A.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0066A.jpg
    DSCN0066A.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0

D9

Vendor
Damn nice work sportyone!
What about powder coating black to match the frame...?
Either way... great job & good clean design!