Progressive Suspension 412 Series - any feedback?

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Progressive Suspension 412 series rear shocks for my Thux10. I will also be replacing the front springs with prog. susp. springs. The shocks are slightly shorter thatn stock, 1/4" (I think).

Anyone have experience with the 412 series (positive or negative)??

thanks

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I had Ikons on my Thrux, and they worked well enough. I have Progressive 412's on my Scrambler, and they work very well - especially for the bargain pricing they have. I'm not sure that they're shorter - but you can get them in whatever length you like (within reason). I would give the Progressives at least 8/10 when value is considered.

SMCD

Scooter
I bought the 412's a few months ago and am happy with them. I originally wanted the all black ones, but they were on backorder, so I bought the Black Shock with Chrome springs. At first I really disliked the look of them. Then I took those bulky Spring caps off both ends of the spring and it really transformed them into that classic spring look I wanted. I love mine. One thing I will mention is that I think it will lower your hight any where from 1/4, to what looked like a good inch or more, from lowest to highest load adjustment. I have mine at the highest setting and it feels pretty close to stock position. But its definitely a huge difference if you have them set to the lowest adjustment.

SMCD

Scooter
Here is a pic with the Spring on bike, and a pic of the spring before and after removing those caps...

IMG_2950.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_2940.jpg
[/IMG]

jhillier71

Street Tracker
I bought the 412's a few months ago and am happy with them. I originally wanted the all black ones, but they were on backorder, so I bought the Black Shock with Chrome springs. At first I really disliked the look of them. Then I took those bulky Spring caps off both ends of the spring and it really transformed them into that classic spring look I wanted. I love mine. One thing I will mention is that I think it will lower your hight any where from 1/4, to what looked like a good inch or more, from lowest to highest load adjustment. I have mine at the highest setting and it feels pretty close to stock position. But its definitely a huge difference if you have them set to the lowest adjustment.

Thanks for the reply and the pics!

GySchmit

Scooter
Then I took those bulky Spring caps off both ends of the spring and it really transformed them into that classic spring look I wanted.

How is this done? I've got a set of 412 coming into my mechanic who is repairing the bike from wreck. The open spring look is MUCH Classicier!

Do they slide off? Do you cut them off? How I ask HOW?

jhillier71

Street Tracker
How is this done? I've got a set of 412 coming into my mechanic who is repairing the bike from wreck. The open spring look is MUCH Classicier!

Do they slide off? Do you cut them off? How I ask HOW?

Dont quote me on this but I think they should fairly easily slide off. I put mine on this weekend and wasnt paying any particular attention to how they were affixed. Sorry. I will take another look at let you know.

On the plus side the bike has a smoother ride! I also have the front prog spring kit and that is going on this weekend, though not too sure about doin gthat job myself. Rear shocks easy...front? Maybe not?

drlapo

Hooligan
front springs are very easy to install but the front tubes have to come off
good time to change the oil too
I installed the RaceTech dampers too; good winter afternoon project
nothing is technically challanging but you need to get a manual

Last edited:

GySchmit

Scooter
Figured out how to get the caps off but during inquiries I got two conflicting reports on removing them. #1 not a problem. #2 Don't do it as the caps keep the spring from flexing sideways.

Sent an email to progressive. Their response?

"Not an issue to remove the caps they are simply a place to put our logo :) "

Seeing I'm also putting in Progressive Front Springs they are going to send me a couple Logo Stickers to put on my fork sliders (just above the axle nuts).