Possible solution for removing the pesky cam holder bolts

Hey all,

I know for my next valve clearance check I will most likely need to change the shims. I have read many horror stories of the torx head bolts that hold the cams down can be a total PITA to remove because they seized.

I was thinking that possibly using a cordless impact driver to remove them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yitgk4DmRC4&feature=related)

I remember using my dad's when I was driving screws into a metal stud and it made it a total breeze--didnt even need pilot holes. The best part was that it didn't even round the head of the bolt because it delivered a crap-ton of hammers per second. Plus I love the really loud noise it makes when hammer-twisting

Im curious if this tool will fit the bill perfectly when removing those bolts. If not, what tool will?

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I had no problem what so ever, a ratchet is all you need with a GOOD socket. Some Torx sockets are hollow tipped, and if you try to use one of those you will destroy it. Get a solid torx bit from Lowe's, and you'll be good to go. If you're really having issues, a short helper bar on the end of the ratchet for leverage will be more than enough to take care of the situation.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Elbow grease is what you want. A seized bolt is normally relieved by soaking it with shit loads of WD 40, heat, which cannot be used in this application and giving the head of the bolt a good hard sharp crack with a hammer, once maybe twice or a dozen time, sort of like like driving in a nail without stuffing the head of coarse checking between hits if the bolt has become unseized. The hit will shockwave and shake loose any of the crap that may be causing the seize. I don't think I would be going ballistic with a rattle gun as you do not have the feel of the bolt and if and when it is going to snap. Work it with the WD40 and the hammer and use a long handle 1/2 " drive breaka bar (18 - 24") just using enough weight to crack it but not break it.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Gotta say I was really worried about doing it after reading all of the issues... I used a 1/4" drive, smacked the ratchet / socket twice and pulled them out.

Motley

750cc
Use a manual impact driver. You'll get the hammer blow and torsion together. Don't use cheater bars on ratchets, you'll ruin the ratchet. If you need extra leverage use a johnson bar.