Polycarbonate sprocket cover?

KingBear

Hooligan
I haven't used one but the reports are yes, the inside gets cruddy from the chain. It'd probably look pretty good for your first ride or two and go downhill from there.

D9

Vendor
Mucksavage - gotta confess I struggle to suss the thinking behind the polycarb sprocket cover... I work with polycarbonate on a regular basis here in the sign & graphics biz... it's great for certain applications (backlit
sign & letter faces for instance) that have a situational need for improved impact resistance over acrylic (which is substantially less expensive)... you can also bend polycarb easily to hold a shape, or bend it in a metal brake... you're probably already aware polycarbonate (common brand names are Tuffak and Lexan) is used in settings requiring bulletproof "glass"... it's an absolutely impressive plastic in many ways. But... as a "service" surface - in trade-speak that's any surface that has any kind of regular
contact with other things - moving parts, peoples hands & fingers, particulate sprays of liquid or solid matter, coins or
currency, etc anything that contacts the surface of the plastic - clear polycarb scratches easily, actually even easier than acrylic. Also, over time, clear polycarb exposed to UV will yellow.

That said, MATTE polycarbonate with a very fine pebbled surface is often used in "service surface" situations that don't require optically clear material to preclude the obvious visual degradation clear polycarb would show.

All that to restate... clear polycarb sprocket cover is
interesting from a design standpoint but IMO won't fair
terribly well in long-term real world usage...

FWIW, IME, YMMV

Cheers,

D9

Last edited:

MuckSavage

Scooter
Thanks for the replies. I assumed as much, especially the cleanliness, but I figured it was worth a shot. Would be a nice piece for a show bike though.

mikenva

Rocker
You know i understand making a light weight sprocket cover to make the bike lighter but I dont think any of them look better then the stock cover or a stock cover with some design on it.There is nothing pretty about a greasy ass sprocket and chain lol.

Easy13

Street Tracker
+1. You could save more weight by not supersizing that BigMac. Drill a few holes in your stocker for a cool factor and save your $ for cams, carbs and other go-fast goodies.

Threewheelbonni

Two Stroke
They are not meant for bikes that will be used IMHO. My chain is always oiled, so the inside of the cover is not something you'd want to see. As the sprocket nut and spline washer are steel they have surface rust, so not pretty either. The washer has seen four or five sprockets, so it's what you'd call showroom condition. All in all best covered up.

If you were building a racer, wouldn't a bit of heavily drilled aluminium held with just two or three bolts, or nothing at all be what you were looking for? If the bike went down on my foot, I don't think I'd trust Lexan not to crack, aluminium bends.

Andy

D9

Vendor
You know i understand making a light weight sprocket cover to make the bike lighter but I dont think any of them look better then the stock cover or a stock cover with some design on it.There is nothing pretty about a greasy ass sprocket and chain lol.

Mondo did a cool DIY cover ... some careful drilling.... looks good!

ammocan006.jpg

All kinds of possiblities... that sprocket cover is just a good candidate
for any kind of modding or DIY fabrication... make a plan, get your tools, & go! Or
grab one of many covers out there...

JG's (Newbonneville)
jg_cover6.jpg

MAS (Triumph Performance USA)
MAS%20Engineering%20096.jpg

Triumph 68
sprocket_cover_chrome.jpg

Joker Machine
1486.jpg

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
Also...

British Customs... (with a perfect area for some customizing :D)
IMG_4786500x500.gif

VD Classics
photovd009.jpg

A DIY from New Zealand...
99554365_full.jpg

Here's TPUSA Carlo's... not a great pic, gotta look close... but one very cool sprocket cover!
Check out the chain guard while you're eyeballin' "The Real Deal"...

CarlosPICS453.jpg

D9
satin_cover1.jpg

Last edited:
D9's is my favorite, after the stock cover. If you're thinking of getting the clear one, remove your stock cover and look at the inside (it's about time you cleaned it anyway). That's what your clear cover will look like, visible all the way through to the outside. Yuck.

neuroboy

750cc
i really like MAS one. however would there ever be a concern about things (i.e. laces) getting stuck if someone took a quick trip in, say, a pair of chuck taylors instead of riding shoes?

koifarm

Hooligan
I would tend to be very careful about any of those "open design" sprocket covers.
there is a post on ADV rider you should read if considering adding one of those to your bike:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487235
It was an unusual situation but one to consider when you have a moving chain within inches of your pant leg.
Although they look nice and are, for the most part, safe, IMHO I wouldn't put one on.
The stock covers drilled are a nice answer, I've seen some nice examples on this forum.

D9

Vendor
Another cool sprocket cover, an LSL unit from classicbike-raisch.de

Ritzelcover_CNC.jpg

... and another, from LCfabrications

bonnie-pic9.jpg

Another design, as seen on spieglerusa.com - looks like the hole is backed with mesh - looks good.

T800.jpg

And yet another cool cover from the same site

LSLThruxton%20gelb.jpg

A great-looking sprocket cover by Thruxtonup:

picture.php

Last edited:

ivar

TT Racer
D9's is my favorite, after the stock cover. If you're thinking of getting the clear one, remove your stock cover and look at the inside (it's about time you cleaned it anyway). That's what your clear cover will look like, visible all the way through to the outside. Yuck.

Yeah , why make the part that sees the most crud on the bike out of clear lexan..?
Myself I like D9's and the other drilled out/cut down stockers,
The billet ones from e.g Joker look way too hi-tech and overengineered to me.