Pod filters on NJ Turnpike

drmuonfunk

Scooter
I had a scary experience on Easter heading from NYC to South NJ on the NJ Turnpike. It was a swirling breeze and humid and going about 60+ on my bonne and it was bogging down big time. To the point where I thought it was going to stall but it kept struggling through the ride as 18 wheelers were riding up from the rear. On the way home about 8 hours later I didn't have any issues at all. I've read posts where people have had some issues with wind but this seemed more like humidity and temperature of the air. I don't want to reuse my airbox but I can't have the bonne be that unreliable. Does anyone think the pre pod filters would help? I've done a few other rides recently and I didn't have these issues and it felt just as windy on those rides.

derby boy

Two Stroke
I have heard this also, but I'm running pods and haven't had any issues. In Southern AZ the wind will blow 20-50 mph on any given day. The side covers cover the pods enough that there shouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if it wasn't a coincidence and maybe your vent tube is pinched or the tip over valve is sticking.

strokerlmt

You know it can blow like shit on the CA coast. I have used the foam and KN filters and never had a issue......
LMT

Beachfinn

Scooter
I don't think it's humidity; pods and 1/3 covers and no issues (rain, shine, humid, very humid, wet, uber hot, old people, tourists, 60mph, 100mph.....)

:)

drmuonfunk

Scooter
But I've ridden over 300 miles + with no issues until Easter. Also road yesterday with wind and it ran amazing. Maybe it's cold + humidity. We've all read this is possible so I'm not sure there is anything wrong with my bike I'd just like to know what conditions caused this because so far it was the first time I've seen this and hopefully the last. Definitely got to much air

Nick Morey

Rocker
There's a lot of things it could be, water in gas, losing spark, dirt in carbs...
Too many possibilities to blame pod filters.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Ok, but if that were the case. Why is it running great now? Even ran fine on the way home that same night. It definitely ran as if the air was not consistent, sometimes getting to much air. Hence hesitation.

Nick Morey

Rocker
One theory, you say it was humid. When did you last fill tank? If there was condensation in tank when you filled, or water in gas you filled with, water is heavier than gas and sinks, could be just a little bit... or electrical connections under seat, when you sit just right... or a piece of dirt or varnish clogging a needle or jet temporarily before being flushed...

I like others have had no issues with pod filters... driven in all kinds of weather. It's just not the first place I'd look.

simpson

TT Racer
have you checked your vacuum caps on your carbs?

my Thruxton was doing the same thing, I replaced the somewhat worn caps, and it picked back up.

-simpson

yellowrubiu

Street Tracker
I had a problem at the end of last season, before I put the bike away for the winter, where if I tweaked the throttle a little while rolling up to a light or while at the light the engine would feel like it was about to cut out and it actually did a couple of times. When I started riding again this season I felt it again but not as extreme as getting to the point of stalling. Someone recommended using seafoam to see if it would help.

I picked up a bottle and have also switched gas from Shell to Sunoco to give that a try as well. I'm not necessarily suggesting that one gas is better than the other but perhaps my local Shell station may have a water leak in their tank that they are not aware of ;)

I've gone through a couple of tanks since I've done this and and have not had the problem.

BTW, I have the full ARK with pod filters.

drmuonfunk

Scooter
Covers were on but the wind was swirling irregular if that makes sense? Definitely has great before and after that day. That's why I feel like it was the wind/air quality.hopefully this was the first and last time i'll see this.

damianw

moped
I've had the same isue; felt like the bike was running out of fuel. Both times there was a strong wind which was a mix of a head wind and side wind.As soon as I got a tail wind the issue went away.
I'm at a fairly high altitude, approx 3500 ft, so I wondered if the strong wind was not allowing natural air flow into the carbs and dropping the air fuel ratio low enough to cause problems.