Pipes for the 09 T100

I am wanting to put a set of the Triumph off road slip on pipes on my 09 T100.. I talked to the dealer and told him I did not want to have top remap the bike if possible.. I do not want to do anything that will drop my gas mileage.. I have put a set of slip ons in my Hayabusa and no problems at all.. So I figured I could do the same to the Bonneville... Has anyone done this ? I know for optimum performance I need to remap the computer, but "all" I am wanting to do is get a little more sound out of the bike. I went to an advanced riders class and the instructor said my bike was so quiet that all he heard was the chain going around the sprockets.. Plus I like the sound of a slightly throaty twin.. I do not want too loud as I tour a lot on the bike.. So should I be ok to just bolt them on and ride ??
Thanks for your help..

Allen...... Will ride for food !!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You will be fine. I have Tors on my '09 EFI with stock map, AI removed and even the airbox restrictor plate removed. One of the best running and sounding bikes I have ridden. Not too loud....but at redline and WOT the bike is about as loud as I want and gives cagers an earful when I go by. :) The stock pipes are pathetic really and Tors transform the sound and to me enjoyment of the bike...about 5 more hp as well. The Arrow 2 into 1 map will likely improve performance to a very small degree in the mid range in particular but at a slight detriment to fuel economy. I have raced another EFI bike with sleepers + Arrow 2 into 2 map and our bikes ran dead even to over 90 mph...so remapping doesn't change much and for all intents Tors flow about as well as any of the peashooter exhausts which are a fair amount louder...which include Sleepers and Norman Hyde Togas.
In due course, I suggest you remove your AI and pull the restrictor plate and if you get to the dealer, you can have a remap performed but certainly not essential. If you study the fuel tables between the Tors map and std map the A/F values are virtually identical however the fixed air tables for the Tors map are "slightly" higher which translates to net fuel increase from mid range to WOT which in my experience riding other EFI bikes with different maps doesn't change hp that much. The bike will adapt for smaller throttle openings because of its closed loop O2 sensor EFI architecture.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it ..... Now, does anyone have a good suggestion for the purchase of the pipes or should I just go to the dealer.. Also Chris, is the AI your talking about the pipe coming out of the head next to the sparkplug.. Is there a kit I need to get to plug the holes.. I do not want to do anything that kills gas mileage...
Thanks again fopr the help....

Allen..... Rideaholic

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Allen,
I bought my Tors new on ebay right after I bought the bike and in fact never rode the bike with the stock exhaust...only heard how awful the stock exhaust was after I trailered the bike home in the winter.
You can poke around the web to see if you can can score a nice used set as well. Be sure to listen to as many exhaust video threads as you can. The best way to describe Tors is Triumph tuned out much of glass pack sound of other peashooters which too me is too droney and fartish...only my opinion. This is in exchange for a raspier note which I find better day in. Important to note that others however will prefer the deeper and louder exhaust note of Sleepers and Togas. My last motorcycle was loud and didn't want to go there again. I have ridden an EFI bonnie with Sleepers and it is loud. Also, Tors open up a bit with miles as the wading burning out a bit. Another great option is the Dominator Tourings sold by TPUSA. These are reverse cones which flow well and with distinctive sound which I like as well and the Tourings are not too loud...perhaps a hint louder than Tors but not much. They are shaped like the Thruxton and std. Bonny upswept pipes therefore change the look of the bike so again comes down to personal taste. Exhaust is subjective...just like music really. Some love their Pred's which I agree sound great but are too loud for my taste as I hate putting in ear plugs everytime I ride and I want to retain what hearing I have. I would say that selling of used exhaust runs equally in both directions...guys selling their Tors for louder pipes and others with Preds and Togas looking for Tors because they are tired of the noise. The adage...be careful what you wish for comes to mind. :) No substitute for experience if you have been there.

As to AI, I have written about how to do it on here including some pictures...so perform a search. British Customs sells flush plugs that look good. Removing AI eliminates popping on decel even with Tors and other aftermarket exhaust. A highly recommended change...just like with carbed bikes. Let me know if you can't find some pics if you want to do this....you need to substitute a resistor for the AI solenoid valve to satisfy ECM diagnostics.
Cheers.
PS: As to fuel economy, you will be best served with stock map...even with aftermarket pipes and restrictor plate pulled. Testiment to the bike not running lean with the stock map is I don't get great mileage...largely because of how I ride with rev's often above 4K RPM. My reserve light...with a gallon left of gas or so...comes on just over 100 miles so I do not get much over 40 miles/gal typically for spirited back road riding. On the freeway or short shifting and the bike will likely do 45-50 mpg...although fuel economy isn't a priority to me on a bike I ride for fun like the bonnie...so I ride the bike to extract what performance it has. :)

Last edited:
Well I ordered the TORS from the dealer I bought the bike from today.. Should be here in a week.. Funny thing is the shop owner is also the lead mechanic and he said also that I did not have to remap the computer... But when I ordered the pipes one of the other mechanics (parts changer) said that if I did not get the remap ($60) that I may hurt my new mufflers and this will void the warranty on the pipes. I just said ok... I also asked him if he could adjust the valves on my 74 Suzuki GT750 (two stroke), he said sure.. it would run about $100... Gotta love fresh out of school Jr. mechanics.. I told him thank you, but did not have the heart to tell him a two stroke does not have valves to adjust..:shh:

Allen....... rideaholic

mark66

TT Racer
Well I ordered the TORS from the dealer I bought the bike from today.. Should be here in a week.. Funny thing is the shop owner is also the lead mechanic and he said also that I did not have to remap the computer... But when I ordered the pipes one of the other mechanics (parts changer) said that if I did not get the remap ($60) that I may hurt my new mufflers and this will void the warranty on the pipes. I just said ok... I also asked him if he could adjust the valves on my 74 Suzuki GT750 (two stroke), he said sure.. it would run about $100... Gotta love fresh out of school Jr. mechanics.. I told him thank you, but did not have the heart to tell him a two stroke does not have valves to adjust..:shh:

Allen....... rideaholic

Always fun to catch a rookie, nicely done!!!!!!!!!

Speed3Chris

I like Dick

Allen....... rideaholic
No remap hurt the new Tors? That isn't even a rookie mistake. :)
Having an unknown dealer work on your bike is like playing the lottery.
You will like them. They will seem benign at first but give them time. They open up with mileage.

If you dont run full throttle for long periods, or do a lot of high speed motoring then the std map is fine, but above 4000rpm your engine runs a little weak. this is to keep the men in suites happy. and the TOR map allows for this.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
If you dont run full throttle for long periods, or do a lot of high speed motoring then the std map is fine, but above 4000rpm your engine runs a little weak. this is to keep the men in suites happy. and the TOR map allows for this.
FWIW at WOT there is very LITTLE difference in performance between Tors and standard maps. The Tors map in fact is one of the least desirable of all the maps so word up for those considering this. If you want to see for yourself you can go to tuneboy's site and use their viewer to download the various maps and see what the A/F and air flow values are in open loop for RPM and throttle position.

drlapo

Hooligan
EPCO stainless slip ons
can be found on Fleabay for less than $250
I have them on my Thruxton and did need to mod the jets

Mike M

Scooter
pipes

I put a set of the Triumph Performance Dominator touring slip ons on, had the remap done, added a K&N, removed the snorkel, and used British Custom's low Ai removal kit. The bike runs like a scalded dog, (sorry pup),and still gets 47-48 MPG in town and in the 50's on the road.:cya:

hs01jowe

Two Stroke
I run the Norman Hyde Togas with the Arrow 2-1 Map and it's waaay smoother than it was running TORS with the TORS map.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I run the Norman Hyde Togas with the Arrow 2-1 Map and it's waaay smoother than it was running TORS with the TORS map.
Yup. Knock on the Tors map is it is snatchey. Arrow 2 into 1 map seems to be the best map for aftermarket pipes and about 5% richer than the popular Arrow 2 into 2 map. As to Tors and Hydes...they flow about the same but sound quite a bit different. I like Mr. Hyde's products and write to him on occasion and asked about mapping his pipes, knowing that Togas and Tors flow about the same. He advertises that the stock map works fine with his Togas and no need to change the map if installing them...but...I pressed him to see if more hp could be extracted with a richer map. He wouldn't commit to this but wouldn't deny it either. No doubt the Arrow 2 into 1 map is good for 1-2 hp if running Tors or Togas but not essential as he correctly states.
Fuel economy is generally affected with the slightly richer maps as well.

My TORS pipes came in Saturday and brought them home to install.. The dealership was still trying to get me to remap the bike. I told them I would if I had any issues.. Well, I took it for a ride afterwards and the bike rode perfect. No backfiring on decel, or any sputters while riding.. The sound at idle and revving is great.. Going down the road all I hear is the wind noise, so they are not too loud at all.. I put 111 miles of backroads and city riding on it yesterday and then topped the tank off with 2.1 gallons. So the gas mileage is still good.. I know that I may sound strange worrying so much about gas mileage, but I figure the less gas I have to put in the farther I can ride..:) I cannot seem to get enough of riding this bike.. For the last 5 years and 158K miles I have been riding my favorite bikes the GT750 Suzuki twostroke triple.. But since I got the 09 Bonneville cuz my wife asked that we get a new bike that did not "smell" like oil all the time, I have been doing my best to use up the unlimited mile warranty.. So far almost 23K miles in the first year. I get more compliments on this bike from people thinking I "restored" it. Tell em , nope, just washed it. It came this way..
Again thanks for the help in deciding on th pipes..

Allen....... Will ride for food