Pinstriping Through the Snow

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Well we had our first foot of snow dumped on us and trying to keep a positive outlook so I decided to take this up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRVbdf4C-w

I picked up two pinstriping brushes, a cool practice board that can be erased with some rubbing alcohol and some basic black and gold one shot paint. I am trying the Kafka technique as the board and the grid products are some pretty cool, functional and well thought out products. Who knows where this ends up but I am really enjoying it! :woot:

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Matt,

Very artistic.

Its shit weather here in the HV. Snow is nearby but we are getting days of torential rain, wind, 40 degrees. You know how it gets.

I just bought a vintage Trek 600 road bike off CL. Scored it for $140, its probably worth $400. Its an awesome bike, shimano 600 everywhere reynolds 531C tubing, chrome moly. Hand made in the good ole USA. True barn find, this bike is 30 years old, but very cool and collectible. Half and inch of grmy dirt. Gonna dissasemble, lubricate clean her up, oil everything, new tires and should be good to go

Exactly the same as this one -
4512903836_e7c277c69b_b.jpg

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I remember that bike! I have been an avid mountain biker for years and bicycling is a great hobby. I do think one good thing about crappy winters is that I venture off and do other things such as pinstriping. I get pretty tunnel focused when the riding season is upon us.

Clarke

Scooter
Retro Trek

Sal, You brought me out of a slumber with the old Trek! I have the same vintage, only a 400 series. Good honest steel frame, sweet, you will love it.
I am going to try and post my pics of the bike around our retro silver christmas tree/retro toy living room. Including my original Italian leather racing shoes,LOL...Ho Ho Ho

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Thanks for the replies - here is my actual bike, vintage 1985. Dig the original white seat. I will get some white handlebar wrap for it. I rode the bike around the block, hard to tell but it seems fast and sweet! And those original shimano 600 components are just workingperfect almost 30 years later.
DSCN0798_zps0169c6e9.jpg
[/IMG]

I know the pedals are ridiculous. It came with clip in shimano pedals, which I took off - I don't have the shoes for them so I just threw the plastic pedals on so I can ride it a bit while working on it.

Last edited:

gcrider

Street Tracker
Did not mean to thread hijack - sorry.

I'm a big fan of Kafka's work. I have ZERO skills when it comes to this kind of thing, but definitely appreciate the talent it takes. I have a couple of striping books that highlight his work, and I really dig it.

Props to you for making the effort to lay down some lines - please show us some stuff once you get going.

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
Although I am all for retro.....there is nothing like full carbon fiber :c

15-lbs and I swear it coasts up hill! :crazy:

IMG_0013-2.jpg

Twodogs

Street Tracker
Sal,

PLEASE tell me that's a Technomic stem. If not, PLEASE, PLEASE lower it before it breaks and you get a nice round hole punched in your chest. 600EX components? Index shifting? Nice piece.

I'm a hardcore bike geek - it's how I make my living. My hobby bikes tend to run to vintage BMX stuff though. Check out my collection here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1406023083938.52939.1633251471&type=3

Love your collection. I was all ready to restore my original moosegoose that I had bought back in 1982 but I needed some quick cash to do up my Thruxton so I sold it, a sad moment, but on the up side I got good coin for it.

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Yeah, a CF Trek with lower components is around $2700 U.S. My Trek steel retro was 5% of that with good components.
Yeah, that new fangled carbon stuff will never catch on :rolleyes: Here's my stead :D

Attachments

• DSCF0864a.JPG
    DSCF0864a.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 0

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Bicycling in the snow

I surrender....I have 3 foot of snow I'm staring at so lets talk about peddling. This is my prized cycle I have had about 10 years now. I have three others but this one cost about the same price as a Bonnie with 4,000 miles on it but it has more suspension on it than a stock street bike. 56 pounds and all you can do is by a lift ticket by watch out...I have been clocked at 62 mph going down the mountain side ;)

RM9.jpg

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Man I wish we had mountains here! I could really get into downhill mountain biking. All we have is sand and hills. No mountains, no clay, no open forest. The forest here is dry, prickly, sandy and full of snakes and scrubby bush. No fun. Cycling through sand gets old real fast.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I love this thread. Matt - that bike looks like a motorcycle - what is it? My younger brother does a little bit of that but comes home battered and bruised. You can take that bad boy to some of our Catskill and Adirondack ski areas in the summer.

Kiwi, I see the college kids here use those Whizzer bikes but I gotta think they are not legal here on the road. I like it though.

Last winter my youngest son and I built an ebike from an old scooter we found at the junk yard and a 1980s Panasonic road bike it worked fine but I could not source large enough rear sprocket to get the engine rpms quite right. Here is a video of it in operation. I found out to my surprise that its not legal in NY to do this. Its legain in other states but not NY. That's right - the bill to make our electric bikes legal has been held up in committee for about 4 years by some NYC assemblymen who are probably taking money from Taxi companies. The irony is you see electric bikes everywhere in NYC, the police seem to just tolerate them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dprS5_ujCGA&list=UU5B-MUmIRVT0rjvVKVRxDpQ&index=8

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I love this thread. Matt - that bike looks like a motorcycle - what is it? My younger brother does a little bit of that but comes home battered and bruised. You can take that bad boy to some of our Catskill and Adirondack ski areas in the summer.

It is a Rocky Mountain RM9. Handmade frame out of British Columbia and they are pretty well known in the mountain bike community. The "9" on the name of the frame represents 9 inches of suspension front and rear. This bike was only made for a couple of years because it was too labor intensive and the market for them was too small. The bike sold new at $5,000. There is no front derailleur on this bike, just a big pizza crank with chain guards so it doesn't pop up with the massive chain slap you get going down the mountain. The only thing you can do with this bike is buy a lift ticket and ride down a mountain but man...point the bitch downward and she is a monster! I have done 20-25 foot drop offs on this bike and it just ate it up like it wasn't there. Riding this bike is sick.