Paint fumes and sticky stuff?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
So...it's been stupid cold and the fog that has enveloped Portland was fog'n up my mind...deep huh? So I thought since the riding has slowed down...I tought I'd take care of some small ideas that I wanted to have done for Spring...and I'm bored...

My wife bought me a new summer helmet...HJC CL-5XN Motocross helmet...luckily HJC is smart enough to make a XXXL helmet and in solid colors...Arai, Shoei, Scorpion...etc...do not realize that Men with large heads would like to wear motorcycle helmets AND if they did happen to fit...we don't want to look like a Track star with all the goofy shit/sponsors all over it...Anywho...I've always wanted to do a So-Cal dedicated lid...to go with the other custom lids I've painted dedicated to Hot Rodding...Here is the new lid

Masked and painted...
Birthdaydinner025.jpg

4 coats of GM red and 3 coats of Clear...a nice gloss black pinstripe to break up the two...and of course a couple of So-Cal decals to finish it up.
Birthdaydinner039.jpg

Birthdaydinner028.jpg

Then I wanted to do something with the badges...I almost filled the holes on the tank and went smooth...but the badges are a big part of Triumph's style in my opinion...so I sand blasted the chrome...and hit them with some Flat Black, then some clear for a Satin look...and then retouched the gold lettering from last winter...
Birthdaydinner044.jpg

Then...

Last edited:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I wanted to use my Ammo can as a "Soap Box"

so I've been collectiong/buying some oddball stickers here and there...kind of a anything goes zone on the Bonnie...there are more stickers to come...
Birthdaydinner053.jpg

Birthdaydinner051.jpg

Birthdaydinner055.jpg

so that's all for now...Oh...and I was cleaning the counter sprocket and while the cover was off...I cut/filed this design...it doesn't look like much here...my wife said it looks dirty...guess? but on the Bonnie...it gives the illusion that the holes are floating? I know that sounds weird...I'll post a pic when I put it on...
Birthdaydinner049.jpg

Ok...

Cheers!!
MONDO

REVOLT

Street Tracker
One more...Me saying HI!

Like I said...I've been bored...work has been crazy...Winter is starting to get on my nerves...but my Birthday is Monday...Take it Greasy!!!
Birthdaydinner036.jpg

Cheers!

Bonafide

NBR founder
That's pretty cool stuff right there. :up:

I've been wanting to get one of them new dual sport helmets on the market, but the prices they're asking? I've decided I have enough helmets for right now.

ThruxTonUp

TT Racer
Cool stuff Mondo - love the helmet paint work and graphics. The sprocket cover is some nice craftmanship as well.

DandyDoug

750cc
Nice work Revolt.
I am always in awe of you guy's who have the talent and the skills to do this kind of stuff.
Guess I missed out on that gene. My brother the Architect can do magic with a drawing making it look so deep and with several angles. Me, well mine looks like a grade school thing consisting of flat lines going nowhere.

Cool helmet paint theme, and I do like the sprocket cover.

rodburner

Rocker
Nice job. The weather has been sucky lately,but I got my lighting done,the pipe re-routed and some other bits finished,and I`m hoping to get out for a short run today,maybe.
Picture016.jpg

I usually get my stickers at Spencers in the mall. Them crazy kids get away with murder:p.
So Monday,whats it gonna be?25?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Thanks Everyone...

I appreciate the comments...

Bonniebret- I live in NE Portland...Fairview/Portland area to be exact...Why? You coming/going/living/visiting? If so...let me know!

Steve- Looks Awesome! The contour on your tank...near the knee pads...looks sharp...I Love it! I do feel sorry for your Ass/Family Jewels:eek: with that seat though...but you are a BadAss so you can handle it!! Great work!!

Oh...I'll be 30 on Monday...Ground Hog's Day Rocks!! But that SOB better not see his shadow!!!

REVOLT

Street Tracker
That's pretty cool stuff right there. :up:

I've been wanting to get one of them new dual sport helmets on the market, but the prices they're asking? I've decided I have enough helmets for right now.

I hear ya'...but my HJC was on sale for $94.00 at a local shop (Reg-$115.00)...a bargain for a DOT/Snell! Looks sharp too...
704-140_zoom.jpg

or...
This thing for an MSRP of $420.00-460.00!! If the faceshield is going to add almost $300...I'll wear my Halycons!
Shoei.jpg

D9

Vendor
Cool stuff as ever Mondo... graphics look damn good on the lid and the sprocket cover
looks like it's smilin' a slightly deranged hot rod Bonneville smile... :D

Coolio!!! You taking that hot rod to the dirt track?

I gots me that same WWJCD sticker. BTW, we've had three days of sun just down the road from you.
Went on a pre superbowl 200 mile ride today. ;)

Happy Birthday Bro!!!

Last edited:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Coolio!!! You taking that hot rod to the dirt track?

I gots me that same WWJCD sticker. BTW, we've had three days of sun just down the road from you.
Went on a pre superbowl 200 mile ride today. ;)

Happy Birthday Bro!!!

Dirt Track...Hmmmm...maybe...I've got the helmet for it!! Smart Ass...

The WWJCD from LowBrow?? We've had some sun, but it shows up for about an hour around 2:00pm then back to dense fog and freezing temps...I took a SuperBowl ride today too...Heath is looking at a 1973 Tiger 750...I rode out to the guys house to meet Heath and take a look at it...not quit 200 miles...only 100miles round trip...

Thanks!! Bro!!

KingBear

Hooligan
Okay, serious questions about painting helmets:
  • How do you prep the helmet?
  • Do you sand the clearcoat (or whatever) or do you paint right over it?
  • Do you remove any hardware or just mask it off?
  • What kind of paint do you use, and should I be worried about certain kinds of paint interacting with the shell composition and weakening it?
I've removed all of the decals from my HJC and I'd like to paint it but I'm a little wary.