Owner info?

Burgi

moped
Hello Everyone
I have been eyeing Bonnevilles for awhile now and finally got the opportunity to ride a couple this weekend. That did it, now I am obsessing :headbang2:
I have questions but the salesman at the dealer either was an idiot and didn't know anything or if he did wasn't going to tell me anything. Figured it was best to try and find some owners since you all would know much more than a sales guy anyway.
I am interested in the SE or the base Bonneville given it's smaller size (I'm short). Was 2009 the first year this lower model was out?
How rigorous is the maintenance schedule on the new Triumphs? Some bikes will break you on the cost after you get 'em home.....
Any known issues? It seems like every bike has something...the thing everyone seems to upgrade, add or replace pretty quick after getting it home.
I'm riding an old Honda now so it is not as if I need a high tech, luxo ride but if I am going to sweat the cost of a new bike I don't want to get burned on cost once I get it.
I appreciate any help you can throw my way.

MattRat

TT Racer
SE was new this year

known issues - cam cover leaks, weak spokes in earlier years - 06,05,07
a few had problems with brake disc warping.

Maintenance - not too bad...dealers will kill you on service, but it's not all that frequent and you can learn most of it yourself even if you're a mechanical idiot (like me)

Easy13

Street Tracker
+1. No serious maintenance issues, these bikes don't eat parts and they're easy to work with. If you've been keeping an elderly Honda humming, a Triumph won't be a problem.
Buy it!

becket

Two Stroke
This isn't the old Lucas-wired, oil-leaking Bonnie of old; these bikes are low maintenance, with all modern parts, carbs or efi, etc. Most remove or have removed at dealer, the airbox and assorted constrictors within; and put on free flowing silencers. Those two mods make a HUGE difference in power, sound, quicker revs! Same process as doing a standard 'stage one' to any bike, just letting it breathe and exhale. Bonnies today are basically "Start, Ride, Enjoy!"

steamfitter

Two Stroke
hi there, i have an 08 bonnie and it's my first bike i have ever owned. i can tell you that the maintenance is virtually non-existent, except for what i have made myself. by that i mean, i have had to rejet several times because of the mods i have done. this has proven to be very easy and most of the general maintenance items; checking plugs, synching the carbs, oil changes, etc, are all easy to do and require minimal tools. best thing i can tell you is to keep on this site for help from other posters and buy the triumph manual! you can do 99% of the work yourself with these two resources. -keith

Hey man, I just got my first Bonneville this year and I have to second what all the veterans are saying.

Everything is just smooth and easy.

I read your concerns about height and I'm wondering how tall you are? I'm not that tall myself, around 5'7", but the Bonneville is pretty much perfect for me. I find no balance issues at stopping and I feel incredibly confident on my machine.

2009 Bonneville SE first with 17" mag wheels and fuel injection. I got myself a 2009 Bonneville T100. Just buy it . You wont regret it.

Burgi

moped
Thanks for the info everyone. I appreciate your help.
If you've been keeping an elderly Honda humming, a Triumph won't be a problem.
My Honda's a shaftie with self adjusting lifters so the maintenance isn't to bad but it is 25 years old so the potential is always there. Since I like to do a little touring something newer is really tempting!
Everything is just smooth and easy.

I read your concerns about height and I'm wondering how tall you are? I'm not that tall myself, around 5'7", but the Bonneville is pretty much perfect for me. I find no balance issues at stopping and I feel incredibly confident on my machine.
Yeah, I loved how easy they were to ride. It felt super forgiving. I'm 5'6" but only have a 29" inseam (I'm a woman, not that is makes a diff). I've never owned a bike I could flat foot. The only bikes I've ridden that I could flat foot were cruisers (sorry don't like 'em) and on those the reach was to long. The Bonnie was the first bike I've been on that felt like it was designed for me, a nice change!

It's definitely a more forgiving bike for new or smaller riders. It's not like a Ducati that punishes you if you're not quite in the gear it wants.

I'm glad you like it. It sounds like you're already sold! Post pics qwhen you buy! : )

MuckSavage

Scooter
Bought the SE in april, and eventually swapped out the stock seat because I am a little tall for it (6'2") so it's great for shorter riders. (It'll be the wife's when she decides to upgrade from the sooter)

Bought a triumph mostly on the advice of my dad, who has a speedmaster. Very low maintenance. Like someone already said, lube the chain, fill it up. Go!

MKNG TRX

Scooter
I'm a short guy, 5', 7" with a 30" inseam. My feet sit about 1/4 - 1/2" off the floor, at the heels, and have no problem with my 09 T-100. Love this bike. You'll be fine. Cheers.