Other annoying noon question

I want to clean and lube my chain. The owners manual is pretty cryptic as to the best way to do this. Anyone want to be really cool and hit me with a step by step?? Thanks in adv

edit : iPod auto spell made "noob" read "noon".

DIRK

750cc
simple green scrub brush, cool beverage, keys to the bike on the work bench not in ing. scrub rinse scrub rinse repeat as needed and sip beverage. lube when clean. go for ride after everything is put away. and if you have not figured it out DO NOT RUN MOTORCYCLE WHILE CLEANING CHAIN!

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
I put the bike on a lift, spray the chain with wd40, wipe it clean with a rag, and follow up with chain lube.

Thanks guys. Follow up Q: where do I get the mobil chain lube that the owners manual recommends? Also what is the right oil filter to get and where can I get it?? I got the oil I needed at auto zone but they don't carry oil filts for motos.

Really dont think it matters what chain lube you use. I tend to not remove anything. Spray chain with WD40 (and any surrounding areas that can be seen of sprockets etc, as well as places that cant by using tube ) and then with a toothbrush I scrub with either petrol or turps. Allow to dry and spray chain lube on. I actually do have bike going at that stage as I spray lube using nozzle and bike in 1st gear off ground. By this stage I am over the limit to ride bike as have finished two schooners.

Last edited:

Easy13

Street Tracker
Opinions vary as to what the best chainlube is, but most everyone agrees that those that sling oil/dirt/shit all over your wheel is undesirable. I use Dupont teflon multi-purpose lube. It's a high-perf penetrating lube that dries completely. Easily acquired at Lowes or Home Despot.

When I come in after a ride and the chain is warm, I'll wipe it off with a rag, or if it's funky, I'll hit it with WD40 or turp/diesel fuel/whatever to clean it up, then spray it down with Dupont. In less time than it takes to down a brew, the chain is lubed and dry, ready to go again.

Last edited:

MattRat

TT Racer
Thanks guys. Follow up Q: where do I get the mobil chain lube that the owners manual recommends? Also what is the right oil filter to get and where can I get it?? I got the oil I needed at auto zone but they don't carry oil filts for motos.

Oil Filter part #s
NAPA....1358
Wix....51358
Baldwin...B1400
Fram.....Ph6017a
Hastings.....LF113
A/C......PF2135
Purolator.....ML16817 - (I'm not sure if that is the PureOne, or the standard Purolator filter.) Carquest, and NAPA filters are made by Wix.
Purolator Pure One 14612CARQUEST......85358
The oil filter is easy to find its the same as a 2007 Subaru Forester uses,
pl-14612.
(courtesy of hedge)

Also do you remove the sprocket cover? Thanks

you should pull it every once in a while - a ton of crap builds up in there and you'll want to clean it out occasionally.

ivar

TT Racer
and if you don't have a lift,a car jack under the centerstand mount works good for getting the rear wheel off the ground

Mayor08

Scooter
Chain Cleaner/Lube

I picked up some cleaner and lube Saturday at my local Triumph dealer and was very impressed with the results. The cleaner is Clean Up chain cleaner ($8.95) made by Maxima Racing Lubricants. Spray on then brush to clean then rinse with "a steady stream of cold water". For lubrication I used Silkolene Pro Chain Lube ($11.95) went on easy and had no fling once set.

I give both products a high recomendation.

Attachments

• My Pictures 001.jpg
    My Pictures 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0