Opinions needed: Bonneville T100 2011 or Black 2006?

tuquoque

Scooter
I am a complete newbie looking for my first bike.
I really like the new 2011 two-tone T100 and I almost decided that is the one I am going to get. In Finland new T100 costs 12700 euro (£10900, $16865).

Today I found a used 2006 Bonneville Black.
The price is 8000 euro (£6880, $10624)
Bike is in excellent condition, only one owner, new exhausts, and under 3000km (1864 miles) in clock.

I want the two-tone T100 but would the 2006 Black be a better choice?
Is there some other major differences than smaller engine and injection I should consider?

What do you more experienced bikers recommend, what should I buy?

IMO I would go with the used bike. It will be cheaper on insurance and most likely you will drop it or have a minor off of some sorts.

With motorcycling. Its not a matter of "if" you go down...but "when" you go down. And most "offs" occur during the beginning stages.

In retrospect, a Bonneville is a MUCH better choice as a first bike and first time rider than any sportbike.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I would go with the used one too. The performance between the two is barely worth noting. With the Black you'd have a blank canvas. Both motors are, like all Bonnies, reliable. And you have right at 4 grand to play with if you want more goodies on the bike.

I am always amazed at the kind of money it takes to buy a bike on the other side of the Pond. Same bike, but twice the money.

By the way, almost all the Bonnevilles have a cam cover "weep" at one time or the other, so don't sweat that if the 06 has one. Easy fix.

I love my 07 Black and would not trade it for any other bike out there. It's perfect for me right now.

Last edited:
I would go used bike as well. But if heart set on Two tone then look for others for sale as well. I ended up deciding on a choice of two colours. Lucifer orange/silver or Scarlet /silver. Other colours became available, but the first that was advertised, and it was about 6 weeks waiting, was the scarlet and 80,000 km's later its still running as strong as ever.

Last edited:

Ninja K

Two Stroke
I would go with the used on as well. I bought a 2002 with less than 7K mile for $3800 and being my first bike, I felt more comfortable modifying it and possibly laying it down if I had to. Plus it's just more fun!

mark66

TT Racer
It's pretty much just a question of the money. You are aware of the 2 major differences and that's about it. Myself I went with the used bikes. A lot less money. I started with a used '03 Bonneville America then sold that and got a used '07 regular Bonneville. The '06 you're looking at sounds like a "new" bike, 1864 miles on it is nothing, that's as good as new.

qwenzel

Two Stroke
With that much of a price difference I would go with the used bike. Whichever you buy will be a good reliable machine. Enjoy and ride safe.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
+1 on the used Bonnie Black. The price sounds reasonable considering the low miles. It's a great choice for a first bike.. or a last bike.. or an in-between bike.

Heizer

Scooter
With the money you save buying the used black, you can put a two-tone tank and fenders on the bike, without having to add the black engine/crankcase covers. (assuming the 06 came with those) Win-win!

Capo

Scooter
Go used, and customize with the leftover money. I have an 05 Black, and found a black with red scallops tank from a T100 on eBay, now have a nice compromise. Have fun, be safe, buy Bonnie.

tuquoque

Scooter
All motorcycles should be black.

That's it! I've been thinking there is something wrong with the two-tone T100 but couldn't figure out what it is. You said it, there is one colo(u)r too much. Black is enough. LOL

Seriously. Thank you all for your comments. It seems like we have a very strong concensus here, and I agree. I contacted the seller and will meet The Black personally on next Sunday. It'll be fun. As you might guess, more newbie questions will folllow.

Thanks again.

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
Glad I don't live in Finland...

>Today I found a used 2006 Bonneville Black.
The price is 8000 euro (£6880, $10624)<

Nothing personal against Finland dude...

But between the long cold winters and high prices for things... I'm glad that I live "over here..."

I hate to tell you that I bought a used '03 T100 in '07... so that's the same 4 years old... It did have a lot more miles on it... But I only paid $4000 for it...

10,6 for a USED four year old bike!!!??? That's just pure highway robbery... That's more than a NEW one over here...

sportyone

Street Tracker
go with the Black on Black Bonneville mate,

how good do they look with a little mods ?

Attachments

• DSCN0625.jpg
    DSCN0625.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0

tuquoque

Scooter
>Today I found a used 2006 Bonneville Black.
The price is 8000 euro (£6880, $10624)<

Nothing personal against Finland dude...

But between the long cold winters and high prices for things... I'm glad that I live "over here..."

I hate to tell you that I bought a used '03 T100 in '07... so that's the same 4 years old... It did have a lot more miles on it... But I only paid $4000 for it...

10,6 for a USED four year old bike!!!??? That's just pure highway robbery... That's more than a NEW one over here...

No offence taken. It is true, our country is among the top 5 most expensive countries in the world. However, everything is relative and you cannot compare the prices only, you need to consider incomes also. Most of us are all right here and owning a motorcycle is possible for everyone.

The longiness and coldness of winter is not relative, though.
I need to buy another (bigger) bike for longer trips abroad :)

henrys

Street Tracker
Something else to consider if you're wanting to modify for power. It's hard to beat a carb'd bike at this time as the EFI bikes are still early in development for mods. They are getting there slowly though..

SCBonneville

Two Stroke
No offence taken. It is true, our country is among the top 5 most expensive countries in the world. However, everything is relative and you cannot compare the prices only, you need to consider incomes also. Most of us are all right here and owning a motorcycle is possible for everyone.

You'd be surprised how well the Bonnie will do when loaded up for traveling...

A few simple and relatively inexpensive mods will make it one of the best all around bikes you can buy...

I do favor the carb'd Bonnies and doing the air box carve, installing pod styled air filters, rejetting the carbs and getting a freer breathing set of pipes will liberate a good bit of power on the cheap. New shocks along with a fork spring upgrade and fresh fork oil will VASTLY improve ride comfort and handling/control. The brakes are easily upgraded with quality braided stainless lines, a fresh dose of brake fluid and EBC HH brake pads. An EBC floating front rotor is an improvement but not strictly necessary...

Refoaming the stock seat will improve comfort and retain the stock look... easy and cheap to do. Or there are a number of aftermarket seat available.

Plenty of luggage options to carry whatever you might want to take with you.

The Bonnie would never be my first choice for a 500 mile a day freeway mile muncher... If you want that, buy a big BMW... But if you want to do 3 to 400 mile back road days with an occasional big freeway day... there is nothing as fun or involving as the Bonnie...

My "dream ride" is to be able to take 6 or 8 weeks and travel through Europe... I would not hesitate doing that on my Bonnie... and looking at rental prices, I could ship my Bonnie over and save money...

Plenty of good folks, knowledge and advice on this and the New Triumph Bonneville Forum (google Delphi forums and do a search for: New Triumph Bonneville Forum)....

Last edited:

strokerlmt

I would buy the used bike. There are so many great mods for these machines and the engine is as solid as can be. I agree with someone here....the carbed bike is easy to work on and power up. my bike started out blue and white, then silver black, black, now brit race green. 4000 bucks covers a lot of paint but you might warm to the black. And as sweatmachine says "black bikes go faster".
LMT