Opening up the air box a bit!

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
After a decent ride last night I found that adding the Thunderbike pipes to my Scrambler made it run out of steam at about 6K RPM, ran hard up to then though.

So, today I decided to open up the intake a bit and cut out the other side of the airbox and filter. I did this with the spare stock filter for now, but will probably cut the K&N after some more testing.

Here are a few shots of what I did.

Cut-out.jpg

Drilled out the other side, then cleaned it up with a Dremmel leaving the mounting fingers in place.

Cut-right-side.jpg

It is a little tight, so my hole is a bit jagged. Still opens up pretty cleanly. I may trim down the finges now seeing how they do not need to be so long.

filter-fit-cut.jpg

I cut the closed end of the filter out then let the foam sealing on the filter seal the other side by putting it in backwards.

Cover-seal.jpg

To seal the left side cover I used a piece of soft clear 1/4" tubing in the groove. It should seal it nicely, and keeps pressure on the filter for the other side.

complete-2.jpg

Complete.jpg

You can see, with the cover installed, that there is a lot more opening here. Ideally I would have venturies, and may still, but after a short ride of about 15 miles the bike now runs right up to redline with no hesitation, and plenty of pull. It is much better than it was with the Retro Preditors and a simple intake snorklectomy.

Done.jpg

I love the position of the Thunderbike pipe, but it is still a bit loud. However, for the power, I will put up with it for now!

Jim :cool:

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Way to go Jim!
Good work, thanks for posting up the pics. Have you changed the jets? Just wondering what you're running.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Way to go Jim!
Good work, thanks for posting up the pics. Have you changed the jets? Just wondering what you're running.

Thanks,

I am running the same jets the dealer installed when he installed the Retro Predators. I do not know what they are yet.

Jim :cool: