Only air-cooled?

I just got my 08 bonnie and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is only air cooled?..All my other bikes (only 2) were liquid/air cooled....so does this mean in traffic this summer she will be overheating?

Iceseven

750cc
That oil cooler on the front downtubes does a good job, last summer I rode my Scrambler down through Monument Valley Arizona and the bike never had any problems.

Did you buy your bike from Commonwealth in Louisville? Post a pic when you can.

retrorider

Scooter
I bought the NewBonneville oil temperature gauge for my Bonnie because I live in the DC area where it often gets to 95 in the summer. I would sit in traffic and imagine that my bike was melting because I certainly was with my helmet on and the sun beating down. But after I got the gauge, I noticed that it never got above 250 no matter how long the bike stood still with the engine running. Since I've heard that oil breaks down at 300, I realized that the bike just isn't going to get to the point where there is any problem. That big oil cooler must be the reason. In any event, there is nothing to worry about regarding the Bonnie in summer. Just ride it and enjoy.

Delbert

Two Stroke
You may also need to go with higher octane fuel in Summer to also help keep engine knock down, but that oil cooler does a very good job of helping keep temps down for the oil.
Del

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I bought the NewBonneville oil temperature gauge for my Bonnie because I live in the DC area where it often gets to 95 in the summer. I would sit in traffic and imagine that my bike was melting because I certainly was with my helmet on and the sun beating down. But after I got the gauge, I noticed that it never got above 250 no matter how long the bike stood still with the engine running. Since I've heard that oil breaks down at 300, I realized that the bike just isn't going to get to the point where there is any problem. That big oil cooler must be the reason. In any event, there is nothing to worry about regarding the Bonnie in summer. Just ride it and enjoy.

Ugh.. I had it up to 250 a couple times.. I figured that was time to pull off and let the bike cool..

Good thing it wasn't on the side of the freeway in LA.

IMG_0290.jpg

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I just got my 08 bonnie and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is only air cooled?..All my other bikes (only 2) were liquid/air cooled....so does this mean in traffic this summer she will be overheating?

Hmmmmm...Not to be rude...but you're not a "Questions" type of guy before you buy something...:)

And you'll likely need to stop and take a break before your Bonnie will...just keep'er moving...and try not to ride the clutch in high temps...shitty traffic...You'll be fine!

Welcome!

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I bought the NewBonneville oil temperature gauge for my Bonnie because I live in the DC area where it often gets to 95 in the summer. I would sit in traffic and imagine that my bike was melting because I certainly was with my helmet on and the sun beating down.
Yeah, I only rode my Bonnie around the beltway during rush hour once and that was quite enough. It got so hot between Tyson's and MacArthur I thought the asphalt under me was going to turn to goo. Sorta takes the fun outa riding, doesn't it!

That oil cooler on the front downtubes does a good job, last summer I rode my Scrambler down through Monument Valley Arizona and the bike never had any problems.

Did you buy your bike from Commonwealth in Louisville? Post a pic when you can.

Yeah I got it from Commonwealth, those guys seem pretty all-right..hope to have some pics soon, are you originally from tha ville?

cynr1023

TT Racer
I use to ride down in miami during the summer and never noticed anything dangerously high. it did warm up a bit but nothing that had me worried

retrorider

Scooter
Ugh.. I had it up to 250 a couple times.. I figured that was time to pull off and let the bike cool..

For a while, I started turning off the motor at stoplights or at long waits in traffic to prevent it (I thought) from overheating. Then someone on the boards warned me about the dangers of "heat soak" and how the engine and the oil would get hotter if it stopped flowing through the radiator and drained back into the sump. I found he was right after I got the temperature gauge. The oil would not get hotter while the bike was stopped and the engine was running. It would just stay at the same temperature, usually about 225 on a really hot day. The heat rising from the engine certainly made me more uncomfortable, but the bike seemed to be just fine. I haven't been in the desert and I don't bother to ride around DC when it's above 95 because the rush of air just makes you hotter, but for the riding I do, I don't worry anymore about overheating.

long story short, you will overheat before the bike will.

around here in the summer, with 100+ temps and 100% humidity...some days are no good for riding. hell, I think I ride more in the "winter."

innominate

Street Tracker
long story short, you will overheat before the bike will.

around here in the summer, with 100+ temps and 100% humidity...some days are no good for riding. hell, I think I ride more in the "winter."

yeah, gotta love the winters here. freakin mid 80's the last few days lol

Dave

Street Tracker
I have the oil coolers from bonnevilleperformance.com, and my temp has never gone above 250. When I use an infrared thermometer, the top oil line fittings read about 190 and the lower fittings read about 140.
engineshot.jpg

Phil-1100

Scooter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the oil coolers from bonnevilleperformance aswell, bloody brilliant - Been out riding in 45°C (113°F) guage did not read over 120°C (248°F) my oil is good for 150°C (300°)

DSC01791.jpg

Iceseven

750cc
Yeah I got it from Commonwealth, those guys seem pretty all-right..hope to have some pics soon, are you originally from tha ville?

Yeah Cardinal, originally from Kentucky. Whenever I am in town I pop by Commonwealth and buy a shirt or something, seem like good guys and they are heavily into 675 racing.

Enjoy your new bike!

Ice

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I've ridden my thrux in standstill 102 degree 100% humidity houston rush hour traffic. No problem at all, thing still runs like a top. Don't need to worry much about over heating with that cooler up front, just keep it moving when you can. Or avoid traffic altogether so you don't feel like you are cruising through hell.