One of those "Life Changing" moments....or two...

AceT100

Rocker
2 peoples lives (if not many more) were very nearly irrevocably changed at 7.45pm in San Jose, California tonight...

Mine....and the driver of the silver Prius who decided that the red light in front if him didn't actually mean NO LEFT TURN as I approached at 35mph in 100 tons of Light Rail Train with a GREEN light for me.....

I somehow managed to stop the train literally inches from the drivers door.... He was looking up at me with s terrified look on his face. 1/2 a second from death....or VERY serious injury.

My friends, I beg you....please pay attention when driving and riding, always expect the unexpected. I came home early from work I am still shaking.

In other news.....On September 1st, a close friend of mine lost his like in a bike accident, it was instant and he likely felt nothing...it was a life changing event for me....this is the 2nd friend I have lost to bike accidents in the past few years.

As a result, I am hanging up my riding gear, selling my Triumph and staying on 4 wheels.

Its been a fun ride, but weighing up the options and the riding situation around my area, its time.

Farewell my friends, its been fun.

Motley

750cc
Damn. Don't let it get to you, take a few days to reconsider. Have you thought of off-road riding, or perhaps track days only?

T-boy

Rocker
Sorry for your losses, Ace. I have been fighting the urge to sell my bike, also. As I get older I'm more & more apprehensive about slinging the leg over the Bonnie & riding in traffic. Anyways, take your time to sort things out.

strokerlmt

Ace....you need to do what you feel is best. IF you hang it up we will miss you here. When Teri was killed a few weeks ago on PCH I reconsidered. She never saw it coming either. But how many years do I have left being able to ride with my neck, back and hands are failing. So I limit my rides and that has been working for me. I hope you can figure out a way to still get some time in.
LMT

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Mate you have to choose for yourself but I want to echo those here, take some time,or perhaps get a little dirt bike, or track out the Bonnie. You can still get your fix and not worry so much about the morons that are the general public. Glad you managed to stop the train and that the moron in the silver wuss mobile lived to tell the tale. And hopefully come away from it a bit wiser. Cheers mate.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Damn, that sucks. I wish you the best. I have 2 friends selling their bikes right now. I don't call either guy to go riding, even though I would like to. Let 'em get out clean.

I had a very scary close call this spring and I considered calling it quits but now I just avoid busy intersections. You could wrench on some antique bikes. Its another way to enjoy the sport.

It's hard. I understand how you feel. Good luck.

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I was hit a little over a year ago now by a car in an intersection. The demons never leave once you get plowed into and I'm convinced that a louder bike and keener senses has kept me out of trouble since then. I'm not going to give advice though...what happens at this point is determined by how much of this is hardwired into you and you are the only one that can make that call. Good luck with it.

rodburner

Rocker
Good on you,Ace. I've watched members of the forums I frequent,hit, injured and even killed,and yet,I still read the posts and pages every day,living and riding vicariously through all of you. I've barely ridden my bike around the block in the last 2 years. The desire to "be free" and ride ended the day Jeri died.[and that was 100% non bike related] I'm totally paranoid now,as far as bikes are concerned,no matter how beautiful a day is or how immortal I feel,the bike stays blanketed up in the shed.I keep hoping the spark will return,but then a post like yours pops up,and I pat myself on the back for being "safe" or "responsible" or "smart" and leave it hidden away. No problem. Good luck in which ever way you take.
Steve

When it's time, it's time

MLW and I just laid to final rest her "baby brother". He rode some but was indoors taking care of business when he passed out and never came back. He was dead in minutes from a brain anuerism which had ruptured. He was only in his mid-forties. He enjoyed every moment of the life he was allowed.

He worked regularly with the homless and disadvantaged and said several times he was "ready to go". He was a cheerful happy person who was loved by his co-workers, all of whom attended his final services. We should all do like him, do good where ever we can, bring joy into the lives of those we come in contact with and stay prepared to leave this life.

YES, WHEN IT'S TIME, IT'S TIME and nothing will stop it. Live your life the best you can and enjoy each and every moment, you are not guarenteed the next moment or breath.

Last edited:

slowgator

750cc
Ace, only you know what is best for Ace. There have been too many times that I suffered for ignoring gut instincts, or intuition, if you will. I am fortunate to live out in the boonies where Bonny and I can go 100 miles without a traffic light.

As we all know, motorcycling is all about risk management. Sounds like you have decided the risk is too high, so follow your heart and gut and hang it up. BUT as you know shit can happen on 4 wheels too. Is relocating to a less-populated area an option? I count my lucky stars every day for living out in Bumfuck and I highly recommend it!

Best of luck to you going forward!

ivar

TT Racer
YES, WHEN IT'S TIME, IT'S TIME and nothing will stop it. Live your life the best you can and enjoy each and every moment, you are not guarenteed the next moment or breath.

Like a terminally ill friend of mine said: "I believe in a life before death"

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Sorry to hear about your decision, but if you don't enjoy riding anymore, then it's time.

Right now I still ride, but for some reason I feel a bit guilty because my Bonnie is such a good bike and I don't ride as much as I could. I still enjoy it when I do it though.

D9

Vendor
Ace... good save today... for everyone. I hear you... I can't get wood
for street riding anymore... pretty much looks like track days only for me from here on out,
and thus far those are one helluva good time!
6_16_12trackday_50-3_zps32c21e09.jpg

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Ace... good save today... for everyone. I hear you... I can't get wood
for street riding anymore... pretty much looks like track days only for me from here on out,
and thus far those are one helluva good time!
6_16_12trackday_50-3_zps32c21e09.jpg

go Seth go....faster ....I see a smile on under the helmet.....
LMT

simpson

TT Racer
Sorry for the loss of your friend. Good luck with your riding decision.

You can always buy another bike if you decide to return to it.

-simpson

D9

Vendor
Steve... LOL... brings up a good point... risk factor in
track days as well, pavement is just as hard... but no no distracted space heads
driving Prius's anywhere on the track. In 5 years of doing this, seen many, many
mishaps of all kinds... bruised and busted bikes and some injuries
as well but none life-threatening... 95% of riders who go down are walking around
the paddock a few minutes later.