Oil

Shorty

Two Stroke
Can't tell you about the "racing" part but I've been using Mobile 1 15-50 for years now. Just bought some yesterday at Walmart for $22 (I think it's 5 quarts).

Shorty

T-boy

Rocker
The oil from my dealer that replaced the break in oil at 500 miles is Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15W - 50 fully synthetic. "07 Bonneville. Check some of the oil threads--there are cheaper solutions out there. Change it yourself and really save.

KingBear

Hooligan
I just bite the bullet and use the Mobil 1. I always think too late to order it online but I know I could save a few bucks.

Carnation

Street Tracker
This Mobile 1 racing oil is very confusing. I believe my deal put in Mobil 1 Racin 15W-50 the past two times I had my oil changed. I'm not willing and wanting to change my oil myself. Hard part is finding the oil. I found this site but not sure this is the exact oil I need.

Can anyone verify?

http://matrixsyntheticoils.com/store/page110.html#467
Mobil 1 Racing/Street 15W-50

You can use any fully or semi-synthetic 10w40 or 15w50 motorcycle oil (JASO MA) meeting or exceeding API SH. That is what Triumph specify.

that oil you linked to - yes it's fine.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You can use any fully or semi-synthetic 10w40 or 15w50 motorcycle oil (JASO MA) meeting or exceeding API SH. That is what Triumph specify.

that oil you linked to - yes it's fine.
+1
You can even run 15W-40 Rotella Dino White jug which is best bang for buck and some will argue better for the bonny motor than the Group III Rotella blue jug semi syn.
High lubricity isn't the priority with a wet clutch motorcycle that shares the oil bath with the motor. Too slippery to mitigate engine wear and the clutch slips so syn isn't necessary or even preferred. Some will argue that pure dino has better shear properties than syn. Mobil 1 Vtwin an 4T racing are essentially the same oil with a different label.

Carnation

Street Tracker
The JASO MA compliance means it is suitable for wet clutch applications regardless of whether it's mineral, semi or fully synthetic. If it caused clutch slip, it would not be MA compliant.

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
The JASO MA compliance means it is suitable for wet clutch applications regardless of whether it's mineral, semi or fully synthetic. If it caused clutch slip, it would not be MA compliant.

MA compliant...is just words. Some oils are MA compliant that aren't even JASO qualified. Rotella is JASO approved however according to Shell.
At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Some oils slip and others don't. I know many that have used Mobil 1 and/or Amsoil and their wet clutches slipped in spite of a JASO rating. Switching to a semi syn or full dino eliminated clutch slip. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to oil marketing. Its ok to run Mobil 1 4T racing in your Bonny per mfr spec but Rotella dino will run just as good for 1/4 of the cost. I have run them all as have many of my racing buddies. Lastly, the oils sold my motorcycle companies are generally semi syns and relabeled oil from one of many oil manufacturers and many times lower quality and spec than oil that costs a fraction of the price. Marketing.

Carnation

Street Tracker
Yet there are many owners who use fully synthetic oil without clutch slip issues, me included. In fact I have only ever had one bike out of 40 odd that had clutch slip, and that had worn clutch plates.

Run what you like, it's your motor and your money.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You are quite right and people do. Oils are not only variable in lubricity but wet clutchs vary in integrity as well. As far as bonnies go, their wet clutchs are known to not be particularly robust...require a spring change for even a 10hp increase to negate slippage. The other thing is owners run all kinds of oil in these motors and there is no data about increase of engine failures or even wear as few of these bikes burn much oil or ever fail, even if built. Most oil sold today is excellent and it almost doesn't matter what you run. The additive packs make dino oils perform about as good as full syns. I have pulled motors apart with 150K on them that ran dino oil their whole life and internals are immaculate.
Your last comment is right on the money.

Last edited: