oil question?

phil

Street Tracker
I ran a bit short the other day when changing the oil on the bonne , I was using 15w40 oil and I added about 4 oz of 10w40 , will it hurt the bike at all? just looking for some advice thanks.

bonZa

Street Tracker
in a word, No

4 oz is about 1% of the engine oil volume and 10w-40 isnt a radical difference to the spec oil of 15w-40 anyway.

koifarm

Hooligan
No problems...it's such an insignificant amount it makes it not worth worrying over.
BTW, have you considered synthetic?

phil

Street Tracker
o.k I didn't think it would make any difference anyway. It was about 10 pm when I did it and the only bike shop in town closes at 6. So I had to run to walmart and the 10w40 was the only sythentic bike oil there was...lol.. anyway thanks for your help guys..

T100JIP

Scooter
Gents,
My owner's manual recommends either 10W40 or 15W50 weights. I haven't found the proper 15w50 anywhere. T100JIP

drlapo

Hooligan
Gents,
My owner's manual recommends either 10W40 or 15W50 weights. I haven't found the proper 15w50 anywhere. T100JIP

Mobil 1 15w-50 works great and its $21 for 5 qts at Walmart
yeah I know its not JASO MA
I've used in my Thruxton since 2005 , the Speed Triple since 2006, the Daytona since 2007 and the Street Triple since 2008
I'll use it in my new Tiger too

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
oil is surprisingly expensive and tricky,... Rotella changed all their oil and now the mid grade is no longer Jaso MA.. its Jaso DH or something. The Jaso MA is only on the cheap dino oil and on the too expensive synth.

I just put the mid price stuff in my bike too, so now I am wondering about it, but so far its working fine, no clutch slippage or anything.

bonZa

Street Tracker
for the last 40,000 kilometers I have been using Silkolene comp 4 15w-50, fully synthetic

http://www.silkolene.com/index.php?calling=product&sub=ride#

mainly because it is a reputable oil and can be easily sourced near where I live for a decent price

there web page has an interesting oil clinic

was also privileged to be invited to the Fuchs labs during an engineering display recently. very impressive

phil

Street Tracker
I just went to my local trimph deal to try and find some 15W40 systhenetic from mobil 1 and now they told me that truimph now recomends using 10w50 castrol 4t? he wasn't sure why , but I think at my next oil change I'm going to staty with something that avaliable in the my city..lol... thak for all the advice guys..

Use whatever meets the specs in the owner's manual. If you want something high-end and available, use Mobil-1 V-Twin 20W50 or Amsoil motorcycle 10W40 or 20W50.

It's interesting that the slightly-cheaper Amsoil car oil--in the corresponding weight--also meets the JASO MA specs. I'm not sure what that means, or even if there's really a difference between the Amsoil "car" oil and their "motorcycle" oil.

phil

Street Tracker
what I read and talk to people about car and motorcyle oil is that , bike is made for the wet clutchs? I don't fully understand "wet clutch", I would amagine that it is submerged in oil all the time?? don't quote me on that.. and car oil had different propertys for anti were technologys so the clutchs won't grab properly, if it not "bike" oil.. have you used 20w50 in your bonne? how do you find it runs? baltobonneville.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
what I read and talk to people about car and motorcyle oil is that , bike is made for the wet clutchs? I don't fully understand "wet clutch", I would amagine that it is submerged in oil all the time?? don't quote me on that.. and car oil had different propertys for anti were technologys so the clutchs won't grab properly, if it not "bike" oil.. have you used 20w50 in your bonne? how do you find it runs? baltobonneville.

I ran into a situation where I had to add oil but couldn't find motorcycle oil. I added regular 10-40 and it added a "honk" to my clutch. I ended up using almost a full qt. tho, so..

also, I can't speak to the long term ramifications because I ended up replacing that motor a few thousand miles later, for unrelated reasons.

what I read and talk to people about car and motorcyle oil is that , bike is made for the wet clutchs? I don't fully understand "wet clutch", I would imagine that it is submerged in oil all the time?? don't quote me on that.. and car oil had different propertys for anti were technologys so the clutchs won't grab properly, if it not "bike" oil.. have you used 20w50 in your bonne? how do you find it runs? baltobonneville.

Yes, a wet clutch is oiled, not necessarily completely "submerged" in it.

I use Amsoil 20W50, riding a stock motor only in the warm season. If I rode in the winter, I'd use 10W40. Other than temperature extremes, there seems to be no reason to prefer one over the other.

The Amsoil "car" oil meets JASO MA, so it should be fine for bikes, and it's two or three dollars cheaper per quart. I haven't used it, I just wonder about that.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
Mobil 1 15-50 from Walmart
change once a year in the fall when I put it away
only average 3000 miles per bike per year
use in 05 Thruxton, 06 Speed Triple, 07 Daytona 675, 08 Street Triple, 11 Tiger 800
+ Walmart or Purolator filters

rodhotter

Scooter
i also live in pa and believe 10-40 better for colder weather where as 20-50 would suit the hot weather, after some miles on my new 2012 i will switch to a 50% split of 10-40 + 20-50 amsoil motorcycle oil which is a REAL synthetic not a group 3 oil labeled synthetic because USA law says you can now thanks to castrol, i would suspect triumph's brand change had financial benefits for triumph!