Oil Leak on my new Scrambler

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Hey guys, has anyone run into this issue? My bike is leaking oil from around the base of the cam cover. I have never touched it or loosened any bolts. I wonder if it is the seal or something else? Any ideas on what to do? The bike is still under warranty (2010 Scrambler) but I want to know what is going on before I take it to the dealer for warranty work. My local dealer has screwed up my bonneville in the past and I really do not trust them to work on my Scrambler.

Thanks.

Deano

Two Stroke
Hey guys, has anyone run into this issue? My bike is leaking oil from around the base of the cam cover. I have never touched it or loosened any bolts. I wonder if it is the seal or something else? Any ideas on what to do? The bike is still under warranty (2010 Scrambler) but I want to know what is going on before I take it to the dealer for warranty work. My local dealer has screwed up my bonneville in the past and I really do not trust them to work on my Scrambler.

Thanks.

Must be common, as mine has just started to seep at 10,000km.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Thanks Mark. I tried searching but I did not see that thread. Looks like I have an answer now.

cantilever

Scooter
try replacing just the sealing washers on the 4 bolts. That will probably fix it. The triples have a tighter tolerance, and even when those washers are squished flat, they'll not leak.... the bonneville / scrambler though - they need to have a little thickness to them.

You can try a single metal washer between the bolt and the sealing washer. It would be enough. I just order the replacements through bikebandit, and only replace them when I start to get leaks.

The gasket itself should be fine.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
It's covered under your warranty. If you're close to a dealer they can fix it in about an hour. I know cuz mine did the same thing. Only common engine ailment I know of and easily fixed.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I had this problem starting up around 6,000 miles and could never fully get rid of the seeping. I concluded that the washer for the four bolts used simply is not thick enough. I then replaced the four washer BUT I left the old washers on the base of it and put the new ones on top of it...basically doubling up each one. I have never had a problem with seeping since I have done that.

Roy, I imagine this is a pretty common occurrence as my dealer changed my cam seal no questions asked after less than 1000 Miles new. Next to go was the left hand braided cable. This one took some finalgling with Triumph but was also replaced due to a bad crimp. All warranty items, just a hassle as the beauty was so new...

13k miles later and no issues since.

Deano

Two Stroke
I had this problem starting up around 6,000 miles and could never fully get rid of the seeping. I concluded that the washer for the four bolts used simply is not thick enough. I then replaced the four washer BUT I left the old washers on the base of it and put the new ones on top of it...basically doubling up each one. I have never had a problem with seeping since I have done that.

This is the best
fix really, or the steel washer.

An oil leak on a trumpy, thats easily fixed. Eat yr heart out Meriden owners. There are actually two common leaks I believe. The other is the oil breather hose when not seated properly. Have had both probs in the past.

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Update

I just spoke to the dealer service dept and they told me to bring the bike in and they would be able to get to it by Tue or Wed of next week. Once they determine the problem they will have so submit the info to Triumph since it would be covered under the warranty. Then Triumph would send the parts and the dealer would install. They told me I should have my bike back in two weeks.

The Service Manager said that they have seen this problem on other bikes before and that it is a faulty seal on the cam cover. When I mentioned that I have spoken with other folks who have experienced this problem and that the bolts need to be torqued properly and in most cases the washers need to be thicker since the bolts are a tad too long his response was "you need to stop believing everything you read on the internet."

Should I just do the work myself or drive 2.5 hours (each way) to the next closest dealer who is much better? Has anyone had a similar situation and if so what did you tell the dealer to get this problem fixed quicker and easier?

I have left my Bonnie with this dealer before and they had it for 8 weeks to fix a simple problem then they put the carb needles in too loosly and it took forever for them to diagnose the problem. The dealer is the Charlotte, NC shop.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I am the first one to agree with the term that you "should not believe everything you read on the internet." With that said though, you are not just on the internet but on a Triumph forum. You can visit the "other" one and do a search...you will find a ton of posts with the very same problem and you will also find a very common thread to the solution of this problem. I am riding in Japan now so I am kind of the lone trumpeteer but I was stationed in England before this assignment and rode with a lot of other Triumph owners. My bike was displayed for the 2006 slot at the Bonneville 50th anniversary that was held at Gaydon, UK. Obviously, to say there were Bonnie owners was an understatement! I talked with MANY Bonnie owners and the vast majority of them had the same problem that you have described with your bike. I asked them because I had the same problem. They told me to double up the washers with the old set and new ones. That and the torque setting is very important as well because of the washers getting crushed. I tried it because so many have shared this view point with me and go figure...it worked. I understand your hesitation but I have ridden GB since that anniversary celebration and I am buzzing all around Japan now and there is zero seeping under the cam cover. The decision is obviously yours to make but the fix on this problem does work.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
I'll echo what's been said regarding fixes for this problem, and further suggest that it would be pretty nuts for you to trust this dealer with whom you've had issues before. :huh:

Seriously lad, that dealer is NOT someone you should be 'working with' for anything at all. If you're not comfortable doing the work yourself, then take it to a different dealer.

DIRK

750cc
i agree with foothill. there are easy ways around the wait til we get the warranty parts issue. like just taking one out of stock and replacing it with the warranty part when it comes in. but if they cannot think out of the box then i am sure there are others who will be pleased to be a part of your motorcycling experience!

Deano

Two Stroke
I am the first one to agree with the term that you "should not believe everything you read on the internet." With that said though, you are not just on the internet but on a Triumph forum. You can visit the "other" one and do a search...you will find a ton of posts with the very same problem and you will also find a very common thread to the solution of this problem. I am riding in Japan now so I am kind of the lone trumpeteer but I was stationed in England before this assignment and rode with a lot of other Triumph owners. My bike was displayed for the 2006 slot at the Bonneville 50th anniversary that was held at Gaydon, UK. Obviously, to say there were Bonnie owners was an understatement! I talked with MANY Bonnie owners and the vast majority of them had the same problem that you have described with your bike. I asked them because I had the same problem. They told me to double up the washers with the old set and new ones. That and the torque setting is very important as well because of the washers getting crushed. I tried it because so many have shared this view point with me and go figure...it worked. I understand your hesitation but I have ridden GB since that anniversary celebration and I am buzzing all around Japan now and there is zero seeping under the cam cover. The decision is obviously yours to make but the fix on this problem does work.

Is the torque setting (after using two washers) the same as the standard one given in the Triumph workshop manual for one washer?

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Is the torque setting (after using two washers) the same as the standard one given in the Triumph workshop manual for one washer?

I thought about this when I was first told about it. I went ahead and followed the same torque that it states in the manual. It is such a low torque setting that is required and the fact that the washer was designed to be too thin that I think it is best to follow the same settings. I haven't had any problems and I even went ahead to take the cam cover off to inspect the seal after the first 1,000 miles when I did this switch...no problems whatsoever. So basically, I follow the torque settings that are stated in the manual and the only exception is that I leave the old washers on the bottom and put a new set on the top. My creamsicle hasn't seeped one drop since I have done this.