Off Duty State Trooper Killed On Motorcycle

Nick Morey

Rocker
Officer Travis Capen was approaching a road intersection in Peru NY when a car, driven by Micheal Keenan, on the other road stopped, failed to see Officer Capen, and proceeded into intersection. Officer Capen T-boned car just behind driver's door. He died at the hospital. Weather was bright and sunny. Bike was a Bright Red Suzuki GSXR.

This is the scenario that haunts me the most. You just never know if that car you see stopped on a side road or intersection where they have the stop sign is gonna see you. You're doing full speed and you hit something that for all practical purposes is not moving.

That is terrible, my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

I always weave back/forth when approaching a scenario like the one above to make myself more visable.

My condolences to his friends, family and co-workers. This happens to often to motorcycle riders. Post says his bike was bright red, how could the cage herder not have seen it?

I always check out the front wheel of any car setting at an inter section. If it is still, I proceed with caution. If it is turning even a little bit, I brake. The turning wheel is a pretty good indication the cage herder is going to make a "California stop" (roll through the intersection or proceed through the intersection regardless).

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I've had 2 t-boners in my riding career. I was fortunate to have a helmet on my 1st one which put me in the emergency room. The other one on my Black a bit over a year ago I was flat lucky to have it at a slow speed or I wouldn't be typing this. I didn't have a helmet in that one, so my mug has a couple of new scars.