Non Triumph project

A mate got this 1997 Ducati 750 SS new. Did 1,500km and stored it for 11 years. He delivered it to my place last Saturday and asked me to get it going, first photo. I couldn't believe the crap that is in the tank and carbs, second photo. Will keep me going for a few evenings.

P5010019.jpg

P5030015.jpg

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Impressive pile of crud! How much gas was in it? I've heard that they'll do that when they're not full. Looks like a fun bike to play with for sure.:rockon:

DIRK

750cc
looks like yer mate doesn't deserve the bike. he should just hand over the bike to you. you might then let him sit on it this winter and make motorcycle noises. of course you will happily buy him beer!

Henrys, it is a pretty bike. Back when it was new I had a Honda VFR750 and we swapped on a ride one day. The Ducati had better steering than the Honda but not the power.

Aussie, it will be ridden by me at length before it’s returned, don’t want to give it back till it’s reliable, do I.

Buckstoy, when I got it, it had about a quarter of a tank of fuel, how much evaporated over the previous 11 years is anyone’s guess. Have decided to remove the top access into the tank because I think the internal fuel filter is clogged. Will probably get another pile of crap.

Dirk, I will run your suggestion past him, will try it after I give him a beer or six.

Drlapo, no thanks, had Ducati singles back in the early 70’s, all I can say is they are “crap” sweet handling but under powered, unreliable crap.

Speed3Chris, will do.

Nick, just the opposite, he got unmarried but managed to keep the bike. Now he’s back on his feet he intends riding it to Moto GP at Phillip Island this year, not sure if I will accept his invite to go with him.

Thearcticsea, don’t do it, it will give you a life of pain.

Got a chance today to dig a little further into the fuel system. After removing the crud in the earlier photo, look what's still in the tank.

P5070034.jpg

P5070032.jpg

The fuel pump is gummed up, gunna try to rebuild before getting a new one, nothing to loose.

P5070031.jpg

Went back to the pump after dinner and was getting 2 amps resistance, the pump was frozen. Used a probe to make it turn and lots of WD40, it started to free up. Now it runs freely and pulls 0.3 amps. Will run it a few times over the weekend then decide on using it or spending $200 for a new pump. Going to pressure wash the tank out first then see if a chemical or abrasive clean is required. Baby steps, all in the right direction, I'd like to think I will be riding it in a week.

RyanRobot99

Street Tracker
Holy crap... What would a new tank cost? Vs. That tanks taking a shit again?

Ive never seen a bike that new get that grimy.

Wow, that's nasty right to the bottom. Is that because tank was totally empty or was there some gas in it?

When I got it last Saturday afternoon it was about one quarter full. I don't know how much of the three quarters missing was from it's last ride or evaporation. I've had older Brit bikes that have sat longer than this Ducati and not had a problem this bad. I think it's the lead free stuff that is presented to us as petrol that caused the problem.

Holy crap... What would a new tank cost? Vs. That tanks taking a shit again?

Ive never seen a bike that new get that grimy.

We haven't considered a new tank. Given my mate priced a new petrol pump at $200 most small crashes on Ducatis create insurance write-offs, I don't think at this stage it's worth going down that road.

Will continue to update.

coopv2

Street Tracker
Holy crap batgirl, that tanks rooted, looks like condensation ate that to bits, I noticed in a late monster tank i scored that Ducati do not make much effort to line the tank well with sealant. but thats nuts.

koifarm

Hooligan
IMHO the tank will clean up, the fuel pump is probably okay thanks to the gunk freezing it up so now it's unfrozen it should be okay. I've salvaged automobile pumps that were worse than that. Sure is a mess though and I don't envy you the job but hopefully you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.....