Nissen Brake Conversion on 04 Bonneville

DapperDan

Scooter
I've found a few posts about this but am looking for some clarification from anyone with knowledge on the subject.

see here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...e-upgrade.html

I'd like to upgrade the stock caliper to the Nissin 3 piston caliper found on euro CBF 1000, CBF600, Varadero 1000 & TransAlp.

It is my understanding that these are only available in UK & EU on ebay? Where can I find one?

These seem to be a direct fit replacement... Any sources or links to pick one up is greatly appreciated. Thanks

beemerrich

Street Tracker
You need to search more on that forum...you can fit a caliper off a DN-01 or a NT700V (dullville), but you need a different caliper mounting bracket to get the spacing correct. Honda also used the linked version of the 3 pot here in the states on VFRs; again, you must buy the correct caliper mounting bracket.

I bought my set off ebay germany. In my case, the right side caliper was linked and I still need to drill out the caliper to join the middle pot to the outer 2 pots. Before doing the F3 conversion, I ran the left side on my thruxton and it really does provide a significant amount of additional stopping power.

Regards,

--Rich

DapperDan

Scooter
You need to search more on that forum...you can fit a caliper off a DN-01 or a NT700V (dullville), but you need a different caliper mounting bracket to get the spacing correct. Honda also used the linked version of the 3 pot here in the states on VFRs; again, you must buy the correct caliper mounting bracket.

I bought my set off ebay germany. In my case, the right side caliper was linked and I still need to drill out the caliper to join the middle pot to the outer 2 pots. Before doing the F3 conversion, I ran the left side on my thruxton and it really does provide a significant amount of additional stopping power.

Regards,

--Rich

Did some research and this is the bracket needed in order to mount the caliper to the front left fork.

PARTZILLA.com - Part # 45190-MFA-D11 BRACKET SUB-ASSY
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-45190-MFA-D11.html

Going to order that next and will let you know how it goes. Should look nice on it!

rodhotter

Scooter
pretech makes a great 4 piston unit that works with stock master, a finger or two is all you need. its a direct bolt on but a different brakeline is necessary. stock disc is fine but i upgraded mine to EBC floater
IMG_0068_zps1ccc3206.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DapperDan

Scooter
Mission Accomplished!!

I found an unused caliper off of a VFR on ebay for $60!. Then purchased the bracket from Partszilla and EBC pads. Here's some pics and detailed information on the process.

1. Find a Caliper. Models that this can come off of are the VFR, VTX, the DN-01, the Interceptor and the Blackbird or (Euro Models) CBF 1000, CBF600, Varadero 1000 & TransAlp

2. Purchase the bracket from Partzilla. American Honda - 45190-MFA-D11
BRACKET SUB-ASSY

3. Purchase Pads - EBC HH FA388HH

4. Purchase a plug bolt and washers for the rear brake line thread. M10-1.25 plug screw

5. Blow the pistons out of the caliper with compressed air and drill a 3/16 hole into the middle caliper that connects it to the journal connecting the 1st and 3rd piston. Set your drill press to hit the bottom of the 1st or 3rd piston. Then drill out the middle piston connecting the journal running from from 1 & 3. Re-install all 3 pistons.

6. Plug the bottom brake line with your bolt, plumbers tape and washers.

7. Disconnect OEM brake and bracket.

8. Install your new pads onto the caliper and plug it into the bracket.

9. Bolt the bracket onto your fork and reinstall the brake line. Bleed it and check for leeks.

RIDE SAFE!

beemerrich

Street Tracker
".....check for leeks."

==========

I love leeks...though I tend to rely more heavily upon garlic for seasoning. ;)

Good job on the install and for posting up a blow-by-blow on the caliper. The hardest part, I believe, will be waiting for spring to bed in the pads.

Cheers,

--Rich

DapperDan

Scooter
Ah shoot! Didn't run a spell check. Oh well. - Another piece of information is the price of the bracket... $68.00

Roger

Street Tracker
I've found a few posts about this but am looking for some clarification from anyone with knowledge on the subject.

see here:
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...e-upgrade.html

I'd like to upgrade the stock caliper to the Nissin 3 piston caliper found on euro CBF 1000, CBF600, Varadero 1000 & TransAlp.

It is my understanding that these are only available in UK & EU on ebay? Where can I find one?

These seem to be a direct fit replacement... Any sources or links to pick one up is greatly appreciated. Thanks

See if this works.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/110171-budget-brake-upgrade.html

I actually like this better. The Pretech stuff is nice. That looks hot rodhotter.

IMG_0068_zps1ccc3206.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These caliper pins are worth looking at. They can be wire tied with stainless wire. I didn't get a chance to look around the site. They might have other fasteners we could use on our bikes too.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/stainless-brake-pad-nissin-race-spec.html#.UsVdchDoYS9

Came across the pins after watching this:

https://vimeo.com/22136551

OMG!!! Thank you for this link!!! I have been trying to figure out if there was an alternative to the flush ones! The OEM ones where the pins are flush with the caliper have been a PITA!!! On two different bikes, I have had SEVERAL seize on me and had to had them extracted out. Now I've been putting anti-seize on them and making sure to remove them about once a month to prevent that (also since I clean the caliper and pistons with dish soap and a toothbrush once a month for my commuter and after every race weekend or trackday weekend)

Roger

Street Tracker
OMG!!! Thank you for this link!!!
This forum works! I have found stuff and got some ideas for my bike as well just browsing around here on NBR. The old posts are great too :)

a2y8.jpg

I have been looking around for ideas on fairings. The prices I have found are way out there. I just might try to make my own molds and try to knock off a couple. Again, I used info I found here on NBR.