New Tires but Old Stock

jphickory

Banned
I have always been happy with the Bridgestone BT45s that were OEM on my 2002 Bonneville. I just received a new set that I ordered online. They visually appear absolutely new. However, I was a little suprised to see that they were manufactured in the summer of 2008. So I have four year old "new" tires.

I'm inclined not to worry about it. Before I install them I'd appreciate knowing if anyone thinks this is a safety/tire service life issue. Thanks

Did you buy them from a real tire dealer or someone on a forum or something? If it were me I'd want tires made in this decade and would ask the company that sold them to make it happen.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Perhaps. I'm not a tire expert by any means but I am aware of a legislative effort to make the selling of "old" tires illegal. What is considered "old" has been the stumbling block. Six (6) years is being discussed. Also, I recall that motorcycle tires have a shorter shelf life than automobile tires. More info HERE

Last edited:

jphickory

Banned
Good link - thanks.

Since I have been very happy with the OEM tires I wanted the exact tires. These tires have an H rating. It was sort of difficult finding anybody that carried the H rated tire. I eventually purchased the correct ones from tires-easy.com

Maybe since they were hard to find, they are no longer made, and I sort of created my own problem by wanting the original OEM H rated tire.

AceT100

Rocker
I worked in the tire business for several years, and we recommended 6 years as a 'safe' life, whether they are on a car or in the garage....