New tires again...

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Well I did hit some perfect roads in Massachusetts and cruising at 75 - 80 mph the tires were smooth.Unfortunately the rest of my world is not so perfect and I did run on some that had small ripples and cracks. At 75 mph over irreggular pavements it would feel super light and it would feel like it was not damping out the ripples. Little shaky. Definately different. Thats as close as I can come to a desciption, other here have written about the shake. I would like to add, these tires are delightful at lower speeds and they seem immune to pavement grooves.

Last edited:

Leedsharlequin

Two Stroke
Leed...what do you think? Money well spent?

Definitely. I buy my tires from jake wilson at great prices, free shipping and mount and balance them myself.The changer hangs neatly out of the way in the shed when not in use.:up:

I can't say for definite that the Avons are the whole issue I'm having with the front end shake and floating at high speed( 80-100) as I installed a 150 on the back on the stock rim. But having said that, I've talked to a couple of guys in the know and at regular speeds in a straight line this should not be an issue, it's worse under braking, and real bad at slow speeds. The consensus is I got a bad front, (out of round) it does have a couple of high spots. The extra height in the rear could be causing problems so the 130 will be going back on when the time comes. But I've had such a miserable time with these I'll be trying another brand next time

Last edited:

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Definitely. I buy my tires from jake wilson at great prices, free shipping and mount and balance them myself.The changer hangs neatly out of the way in the shed when not in use.:up:

I can't say for definite that the Avons are the whole issue I'm having with the front end shake and floating at high speed( 80-100) as I installed a 150 on the back on the stock rim. But having said that, I've talked to a couple of guys in the know and at regular speeds in a straight line this should not be an issue, it's worse under braking, and real bad at slow speeds. The consensus is I got a bad front, (out of round) it does have a couple of high spots. The extra height in the rear could be causing problems so the 130 will be going back on when the time comes. But I've had such a miserable time with these I'll be trying another brand next time
Thanks. Good luck getting it resolved.
Per your and Sal's comments, sounds like the Avons are to be avoided on these bikes.

Kframe

Street Tracker
Sal, what tire pressures are you running?
I've noticed that if mine are under-pressure AT ALL they will do the high speed wiggle pretty significantly.
Avon recommends higher pressure for the Roadriders than Triumph lists for the Bonneville (with stock tires).
I recently upped my pressure and the wiggle is much less pronounced.

I'm 190 or so with my gear on, and I too noticed that 'lightness' from Day 1 with the RR's. Definitely started right about 75-85 and is MUCH worse on freeway concrete that has the longitudinal texture grooves.
It seems like the front is trying to find the track the entire time.
Unsettling is a very good word for it.

Another rider on one of these forums (can't remember which) traced his problem to a combination of different handlebars and handlebar risers.
I'm not sure how that works but it makes me wonder because I too have risers.
[edit: I found the post, it was Pieman that described this correlation.]

I'm going to need new tires at the start of next season, and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with the Avon's or try something new.

As you say, the RR's are awesome at everything under the 'wiggle speed'.
I've got ME880's on my Shadow - they feel very stable at high speeds and last a looooong time, but they're not great in the twisties.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with the Roadriders.
-K

Last edited:

Kframe

Street Tracker

I also have deviated from the stock rear size. Mine is a 140, but I've wondered whether that could have anything to do with the high speed wiggle. I don't know enough about the physics and harmonics going on to determine that. If I do get RR's again, I will try the 130 rear and see if that makes a difference.
-K

I've noticed that if mine are under-pressure AT ALL they will do the high speed wiggle pretty significantly.
Avon recommends higher pressure for the Roadriders than Triumph lists for the Bonneville (with stock tires).

-K

Kframe, what pressures are you running?

When I first got the Roadriders years ago I definately noticed the wiggle but it never bothered me because I was already doing trackdays and Ive felt wiggles a lot worst than these...so it doesnt bother me. I still felt them but just never pay attention to them as much. However I do feel as the tires wear down the wiggle is less pronounced.

Now that I have only a couple hundred miles on my new set of Avon Roadriders, the wiggle is more noticeable than when they had a few thousand miles on them. But again, nothing I can't handle.

Ive been running the 130 rear, so I don't think going to smaller size for others that have gone bigger may fix the wiggle problem.

drlapo

Hooligan
I have a set of RoadRiders on my BMW R80 and have noticed no "wiggle" at any speed inlcuding the top speed of 115
I also have a set on my T140 but that bike is "light" over 80 anyway

I like the responsiveness at "regular" speeds

Sal Paradise

Hooligan

I'm 190 or so with my gear on, and I too noticed that 'lightness' from Day 1 with the RR's. Definitely started right about 75-85 and is MUCH worse on freeway concrete that has the longitudinal texture grooves.
It seems like the front is trying to find the track the entire time.
Unsettling is a very good word for it.

Another rider on one of these forums (can't remember which) traced his problem to a combination of different handlebars and handlebar risers.
I'm not sure how that works but it makes me wonder because I too have risers.
[edit: I found the post, it was Pieman that described this correlation.]

I'm going to need new tires at the start of next season, and I'm trying to decide whether to stick with the Avon's or try something new.

As you say, the RR's are awesome at everything under the 'wiggle speed'.
I've got ME880's on my Shadow - they feel very stable at high speeds and last a looooong time, but they're not great in the twisties.

Anyway, that's where I'm at with the Roadriders.
-K

I am running 34 lbs. Perhaps I should up it to 38? Can you tell me what Avon recomends? I am thinking of starting a review thread on the Avon. Its so easy to dismiss this sort of griping when you are shopping for new tires, I read about the wiggle but then read a few positive reviews and decided to risk it.

This is absolutely real. The front end gets light and loses some stability at high speeds. As drlapo says at lower speeds they are real nice but its not a trade off I would advise.

Easy13

Street Tracker
FWIW, I put a new 140 RR on the back of mine a couple days ago. Did it myself and relearned that I change tires like Wiley Coyote runs: Lots of flailing around for little progress. Still, it wasn't so bad. Aired it up to 37 and scuffed it in before flogging it pretty hard for 250 miles. Doesn't feel light or unsteady, tracked nicely, I got no complaints. I still have the OEM Metz up front and I run M-bars (turned up, not down). I'm hoping both of these tires last a good while: I don't really mind the DIY tire change, I'm in no hurry to do it again soon!