New Skins Too!

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
In addition to my new Corbin seat, I also received new Tires, Avon Distanzias to be precise.

I was very unhappy with the Bridgestone Trailwings. They rumbled like crazy braking, had uninspiring grip, and were not too smooth either.

So, having extensive experience with the Avons on my R1200GS, I figured they might work well on the slightly lighter Scrambler.

Tire-remove1.jpg

Off they go.

Tire-remove3.jpg

On to my very well used Harbor Freight Tire machine.

Tire-remove2.jpg

Pop the top bead.

Tire-remove.jpg

Pop the bottom bead.

Tire-Change-brit-flag.jpg

Nice little heritage sticker inside the rim.

Direction-Tire.jpg

Check the direction.

Distanzia-Powder.jpg

Pop on the lower bead and powder up the tube to keep the binding down.

Pop it on, air it up, and balance it!
Distanzia-Balance.jpg

Put it back on the bike and repeat on the rear.

Note, the rear is a serious pain in the arse. Getting all the parts to line up, and the cush drive in tight, is no fun at all!

In the end, the new seat, and the new tires really made a great difference! Smoother ride, smoother braking, and a seat that is still very firm, but if experience tells me anything, will break in wonderfully!

Jim :cool:

ivar

TT Racer
I was very unhappy with the Bridgestone Trailwings.

I think I've yet to hear of anyone very happy with the stock Trailwings on their Scrams.
(But then I 've also heard that Bridgestone is notorious for selling lower-spec (for a lower price) tires to OEMS. Meaning that the tires you buy @ the counter usually are better.... Anyone...?)

Iceseven

750cc
I also have the Distanzia's and am totally impressed. I have heard that as well Ivar, someone that is in the business told me that the Trailwings cost Triumph less than $20 a piece from Bridgestone, they are the worst tires I have ever had on a bike.

bikebits

Scooter
I was very disappointed with the Trail Wings as well. All the criticisms above plus the rear was knackered with only 6000 km on the clock.

The choice was between Tourances and Distanzias. The Avons were $100 a pair less than the Metzelers, so that's what went on. Been very happy with them on all accounts.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I took a short 200 mile jaunt sround the Shenendoah mountains this morning with a few friends! Great day to ride, low 70s, clouds with no rain, and good friends along!

P7030994.jpg

P7030996.jpg

Hey, a man has to eat!

So far so good. Typical Corbin in that it needs to break in. But even so, it is better than the gel already, and if it stays true to Corbin form it will be great by 1000-1500 miles. I only have 200 on it from today and am impressed. It rides about the same as stock height, but has a narrow front that makes it nice at stops for short legged people like me.

Jim :cool:

PS On other news, the Distanzias work fantastic, and I am very happy with the MSR shifter I got new for $20 on E-bay!

PPS I did the Baffleectomy today, and Rous44 (ADV) was right, the sound is great! Not too loud with four additional holes in the inner baffle, and looks great. Seems to run fine as jetted! You are the man!

davevv

moped
Do you have avon venoms in USof A. Am reday for new tyres and they dont have distanzias. Any feedback?

I have Venom-X tires on my Harley T-Sport. Seem to be good tires. Wearing well and good grip. I haven't been in enough rain with them yet to really give a good opinion on the wet road traction, but the 20 or so miles I have done in the wet seemed okay.

The Scrambler still has the Dunlops that were on it when I bought it, but Avons are a likely choice for replacements when the time comes.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
New skins here too

Just got them mounted this week. Haven't had enough time to give a full review yet. I'll post more soon.

Heidenau K60. Stock sizes.

CIMG2378.JPG

CIMG2371.JPG

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Heidenau K60

I've had a chance to run them a little. So far so good. If they last as long on the Scrambler as they have on other bikes that'd be fantastic! Check out what I've posted on ADV forum here and here.

sportyone

Street Tracker
+1... & those look ready for some dirty work!

yeah, I thought the same,

but we see a lot of people buy scramblers and then complain about the ride and tires etc,

guess it's mostly 'cose they don't ride on trails or dirt, they expect them to perform on highways like highway tires ?

a little like people who buy 4 wheel drive SUV's and complain about tire noise 'cose they only use them to drive the kids to school on bitumen ! :huh:

ivar

TT Racer
but we see a lot of people buy scramblers and then complain about the ride and tires etc,

guess it's mostly 'cose they don't ride on trails or dirt, they expect them to perform on highways like highway tires ?

Or maybe because the OEM tires suck, and the suspension is harsh on anything other than smooth roads...?

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
now that's how a scrambler should look !

nice job & fotos:wave:

Thanks! It's a work in progress.

Whyme,

I love the mirrors. They are cheap, ebay gold. HERE

They work good and give me a great view. They don't fold like CRG's, which would be nice. But I'm happy with them for $25.