New rider first ride over an hour long

Rubicon

Scooter
it's an easy bike to ride, you'll get used to it quickly.

What cold weather gear do you have? Higher speeds for really short times aren't bad. What temps are you looking at during the day?

Well it looks like its going to rain tomorrow so the first ride will be postponed until monday. Highs for monday will be 68F and sunny. I am going down tomorrow to finalize everything and get insurance on it, this way i can get the registration and plate done monday morning and be fully legal with no temp tag for the ride home.

cantilever

Scooter
awesome weather then! (I had to look up the sunshine skyway - I see it's in tampa). Man - that bike will be cool to ride up and around Fort DeSoto and on up the coast!

Make sure it's full of fuel, and remind yourself where ON - OFF - RESERVE are on the fuel tap.

The only weird thing for me the first time on a bonneville was getting used to the peg position - not sure why, but I kept trying to put my foot down right where the peg is... I think it was a habit from riding my VFR (which I should have never sold, but the bonneville IS a lot of fun).

Take your time and enjoy the ride :)

I'll join in and say go for it too. One thing if possible would be to have a responsible buddy on a bike go with you so as when you leave the dealer, he can ride point and you can follow.

Also, I found on my Bonnie that the rear brake pedal was set too high from new and whilst I wasn't dragging the brake, the brake light was often lit up due to my toes resting on the pedal. Good one about turn signals too - after 30 years I still do it occassionally!

Good luck and ATB for a long,safe and happy riding career.

Cheers,

Pikey.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Plan your route, tell someone where you're going and have fun. If you can bring a mate to ride with you...

DandyDoug

750cc
Vary your speed and RPM, don't go nuts winding the motor up until you get a few hundred miles on it.
Most of all HAVE FUN !!!

Rubicon

Scooter
Cool thanks guys, The bike is officially mine. The dealer was having issues with the states computer system and couldn't issue me a plate. I drove the hour home and then the computers started working. The salesman is going to trailer the bike to his house, stick it in his garage, and meet me tomorrow morning at a Hooters so I can finish the paperwork and take possession of the Bonnie. The dealer is closed on Sunday so the salesman is really stepping up for me. Post ride pics tomorrow night.

cynr1023

TT Racer
Not an issue at all. I bought mine and rode it home 84 miles on back roads from Austin to my place. First time I ever road a bike other than the MSF BRC

islander

moped
I remember bringing my Bonneville home from the dealer.
It is about a half hour ride through city traffic all the way.
I had not been on a bike in 20 years, so I took the MSF course. I
was still nervous, but the Bonnie was so easy to ride, it was no problem at all.
Just take it slow at first and enjoy the ride. Now, 3 years and 30,000 miles later,
it's still fun.

Last edited:

Rubicon

Scooter
Bonnie.jpg

Got her home. The weatherman lied to be yet again, what was supposed to be 65F and sunny turned into 50F, overcast, and that real annoying mist rain where its just enough to piss you off.

Mini Review: Alpinestars Ridge boots TRULEY are waterproof, FieldSheer Corsair jacket is waterproof with the liner in but it has no insulation.

I got home, changed my jeans to dry ones, added a layer everywhere and went back out. Went up to Lutz and rode "Patterson" and all the fun twistys up there. Ended up putting 142 miles on it before I pushed it into my Florida Room.
My ass is sore, my legs are and hands are still numb but you can't wipe the shit eating grin off my face.

Rubicon

Scooter
I filled out my profile, but to answer your question I'm in Clearwater FL. Also the mods have already started, I ordered the T100 Tach kit.

Last edited:

cantilever

Scooter
nice! I like the looks of those black case covers. I have a T-100, and I hate chrome (well, I like how it looks, I just hate cleaning things).

sounds like an awesome ride :)

DandyDoug

750cc
Hey Rubicon,
Get yourself over to Cahills in Tampa and join up with the "Suncoast Road Riders", see Candy in the office and tell her Doug Anderson say's hi.

She is a treat and way easy on the eyes, but very married unfortunately. :shh: