new oil cooler

rodburner

Rocker
Got a wild hair on the porch this morning,while waiting to take the wife to the doctors,and thought my bike needed a change,so I made a new cooler. And because its Bonnie`s 50th this year,I decided old skool would look the best,so I went oil in frame.:eeek:
Popped off the right lower frame tube,welded all the holes shut,added 4 "thru holes" for some cooling,welded in bungs at the top and bottom and went looking for some plumbing bits.Ran out of time before the appointment,but will get it hooked up before the weekend.It added almost 1/2qt to the capacity and has plenty of surface area and mass.
Picture110.jpg

rodburner

Rocker
got it all plumbed in today,no leaks.Now just have to fill up the fatty tank,now that the Caswell is dry,and whip up a new seat this weekend. The front looks pretty clean now..
Picture113.jpg

Picture116.jpg

Picture119.jpg

rodburner

Rocker
gonna put your temp gun on it?

Hey Jeff.I took some reads during my short ride this weekend.I wish I could have found another Bonnie that was out riding so I could get some comparison.I `ve been reading some articles on line and have gotten some input from people I who`s opinion I respect [Jojie],so the jury is still out.I had reads of 20 degrees difference when I would just pull over and measure them,but it wouldn`t take long for the read to equalize with the bike just sitting there at idle while I did it. Any idea if the stock cooler only works while in motion,or does it equalize all the temps until it gets airflow? I will continue to play around with it anyway,until I can prove to myself that it won`t work,then I`ll plumb in the Spurgin cooler out back and underneath the swingarm pivot..

Nohawk,allz ya need is an old shovel and some sheet metal..
Picture120.jpg

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
Ya done it again... damn cool mod bro! Want to see some pics from
further back... gotta be so clean to see the OC gone!

koifarm

Hooligan
Interesting concept on the oil in frame thing....great idea, it really cleans up the front end amazingly.....nice job, clean, well done....good job!!

rodburner

Rocker
gonna put your temp gun on it?

at the right head banjo and the return line,right at the block fitting.I had to let it sit a couple minutes after my ride to get those high reads...
Picture129.jpg

On my ride it stayed mostly in the 110-140 range. Head banjo is the right meter obviously.

rodburner

Rocker
Finished thermal testing of the new cooler system to my satisfaction,[the cooling effects held up during yesterdays 2 hour/75 mile ride@75-80F ambient outside temp] so I made a new seat to celebrate.
Picture145.jpg

That looks great Steve! The bike is looking really good, esp the tank. I love the all blacked-out look with the raw/silver tank. I've been thinking about getting another tank and PC'ing it chrome.

rodburner

Rocker
The legs tie together on the end of the right leg,with the left leg feeding a rubber line around the back of the engine,into a tee.
Picture157.jpg