New member in Leicestershire, UK

Thought it was time I introduced myself. Bought a 2004 Bonneville a few weeks ago. Not my first bike by any means, but it is my first non Japanese machine (apart from the MZ, an East German 2 stroke, that I learned to ride on many moons ago).

I guess if I'm honest I was hoping the Triumph would feel a little more 'special' than some of my previous bikes - so far it seems to be working, I felt a certain sense of pride when turning up at the Ace Cafe recently, more so than in the past. Of course, I could just be getting more gullible to the marketing men's whisperings as I age...

Have to say I'm massively pleased with the bike. It only had 6000 miles on the clock when I got it, though I've added another 1500 since the end of September. I'm quite impressed with the handling, despite some of the criticism I've read of the stock suspension - far better than either of the XJR1300s I owned for instance - and the power's adequate provided you run it up towards the top of the rev range when needed - luckily a rev counter was one of the extras added by the previous owner. Jolly comfortable seat too, including the pillion (so the wife tells me!).

The main battle is going to be corrosion. The road salt season appears to have started here now - I've just spent an hour or so polishing the wheel rims, having spotted the first stages of the dreaded rust starting to appear. All gone now, and I've just ordered some ACF50 to hopefully stop any reappearance.

Great forum here, loads of information to digest, look for ward to working my way through it.

Jim

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0

Roger

Street Tracker
Hi sleepy. :wave: Welcome to NBR. You should like it here. Not riding here of course, all snowed in and freezing. No chance for the salt to get at the bike. It's not even January and can't wait for spring to arrive.

Cheers guys! Hinckley's about 10 miles down the road from here, though I don't think they're doing tours at the moment. Unless of course membership of the New Bonneville Riders opens doors that normally remain closed... I think it might be possible during Triumph Live next July - if I get in there I'll be sure to take photos!

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Welcome aboard!:beer: I know where you live and have ridden through there my share of times...even brought the creamsicle back to her birth place after the 50th anniversary in Gaydon.

I miss riding in Blighty....:(

Make sure to share some rides you head out on in here!

Jefe

moped
I was lucky enough to be provided with the opportunity to make photographs at the Hinckley factory last year. Those of you who have visited the factory at Hinckley know that they strictly prohibit any photography in the factory and that they require all cameras to be left in visitors' cars. There were experimental bikes in the production line, and I was asked not to photograph them. Also, privacy laws in the UK protect the employees from having their photos taken without permission, while on the job.

It is a very impressive operation, an example of a British company that has carefully executed a strategic plan and done a lot of things right along the way. The efficiency of the operation is amazing, as are the provisions for quality control. I was not able to access the Triumph Designs building but could hear the ongoing engine tests at mind blowing RPMs.

While all of the Bonnies, Scramblers, Thruxtons and other models are made in Thailand, in my photos you'll see Tigers, Rocket 3's, Daytonas and Sprints, among others.

triumph_exporersend_IMG_2922wb.jpg

triumph_camshafts3_IMG_2849wb.jpg

triumph_bottomends_IMG_2832wb.jpg

Here are the rest of the images
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzCYDbq

This was just a quick walk through to scout the location, without the opportunity to set any shots up or to light the scenes. I am hoping to be able to return to create some more serious images. Please do not share the link or any of the images outside of the forum.

And the Norton factory
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzCAgpb

Cheers
Jefe