New Bonnie Rider...almost

vinaard

moped
So I am getting close to purchasing an 09' Bonneville Standard Black. Any words of advice? I haven't owned a bike in 3yrs now and I'm coming from the chopper scene. Looking for something fresh and original. A few questions:

Exhaust? Is Arrow worth the money?

BC Airbox Kit? Noticeable gains?

Anyone using a Power Commander?

I have a lot more ideas for my original but these are the first other than stripping all the crap you don't need off the bike (blinkers, reflectors, stickers, etc...)

Thanks,

Vin:cheers:

cynr1023

TT Racer
Exhaust-couldn't tell you, I've got predators and love em
Air Box-hell yeah!
PC-not too many FI models here yet so I'll have to let them chime in on their own.

MattRat

TT Racer
I think you do better buying used (and not just because I have a bike for sale)
this time of year you'll find some real bargains on low mileage bikes, and can probably find one that already has most of the mods you want.

retrorider

Scooter
Don't know about Arrow, but I bought the D&Ds and found them way too loud. I took them apart and loosened up the packing, which mellowed them out enough to satisfy me.

Where do you live? My local Triumph dealer in Clinton Maryland is offering great deals on 09 Bonnies.

dbacher06

Scooter
Don't buy an 09. Buy a used one and keep the carbs. Much cooler and very easy to work on. You can do everything yourself.

KingOfFleece

Street Tracker
We put Arrows on one bike-very nice indeed. BC Preds work well on the new FI bikes and the arrow tune (2 into 2) works quite well with the slip-ons.

Carbs are nice-FI is nice, and both have their advantage. Buy what you want-can't go wrong either way.

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
First, welcome... Second, I've owned a number of carb'd Bonnies, and right now I own both.. If you're going to be happy with the motor the way it is out of the box (I assume you've test ridden a new '09 EFI Bonnie), then (IMHO) the EFI bike is the way to go. On the other hand, if you're going to want to mod the bike, then a carb'd Bonnie might be a better option. The post above is absolutely spot on - you can find some smokin' deals on low-mile carb'd Bonnies on Craigslist and fleabay.

No need to remove the airbox on a '09.. it'll screw up the computer, plus, the bike runs good with it in place (same with the air injection kit).

I put a pair of Norman Hyde pipes on my '09, and remapped the computer with an Arrow 2-into-2 map, she runs great.

I have the Arrow 2-into-1 on my carb'd '01 Street Tracker .. I juss loves dat pipe! You can save $200+ if you buy one off fleabay.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
the Arrow 2/2 is beautiful and sounds great, but its 2x the cost of other sytems
EFI is proven technology and easy to "tune"
the dealer can load a new tune in minutes and will do it for $0-$35

the airbox delete can cause minor problems on carbed bikes, I don't know what it will do to an EFI bike but a large still air box always gives better response than turbulant clamp on filters