New Bonnie - need opinions

zmilin

Street Tracker
The wife traded her 07 America for a 13 T100 yesterday. We don't have it yet because I needed to strip off all the accessories from the America before the dealer gets it. Probably won't have it till next weekend due to working late. Anyway...
Im looking for some info. Im not a noob to all this but I am a noob to the Bonneville world.

Windscreen - not looking for a fly screen, she wants a screen that takes the blast off her chest and keeps the bugs and rain at bay. Options as I see them at the moment are OEM and Givi. What else is out there that Im not finding or what have you found to be the better option?

Engine guards - I see the OEM triangle, the Renntec and then there seems to be a frame slider/case protector. She doesn't like the Free Spirit look ("too spacey" were the words used). Keeping in mind the engine cases are chrome and she like that classic look, Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Bags - She wants saddlebags. We had easy brackets on her America but I don't see an easy bracket option for the Bonnie. Any suggestions?

I see these quick release bolts for the seat and side covers. What gives with this? Ive never taken a close look at how its all held on.

Shell get to the performance stuff in little while.

Thanks for any input in advance.

zmilin

Street Tracker
Scratch the engine guards.
We (I) found the SW-Motech bars and Karen really liked them. Looks like she can get a set of pegs on there if she wanted a different foot position as well as a place to mount additional lighting if needed.

Roger

Street Tracker
I think your wife is going to like the T100 a lot. It has a better riding position than the America.

Windscreen - not looking for a fly screen, she wants a screen that takes the blast off her chest and keeps the bugs and rain at bay. Options as I see them at the moment are OEM and Givi. What else is out there that Im not finding or what have you found to be the better option?

I bought my '03 T100 used from a dealer. Sales guy told me that they added a new windscreen and a new sissy bar to the bike. I didn't know that new parts come with rusted fasteners and rivets. Anyhow... I have the Summer Windscreen #A9748029, and it takes the bugs no problem. It will cut the rain too if you are moving at a good speed. It isn't high enough to protect your head and shoulders but that's what rain gear and a full face are for. Also depends on how tall you are, I am 6'3 using a stock seat.

0_105609.jpg

Summer Windscreen #A9748029

A9748029_Summer_Screen.jpg

The Longhaul Windscreen #A9708205 is about 3" taller than the summer screen and has a quick release feature. Haven't used this one.

A9708205_Longhaul_Touring_Windscreen.jpg

I do like having the windscreen but will remove it when I fit Ace Bars to the bike this summer. If I want to hit the road for an extended trip, I will switch bars back and add the screen again.
Shop around because I noticed some big differences in pricing for the windscreens.

I see these quick release bolts for the seat and side covers. What gives with this? Ive never taken a close look at how its all held on.

Those seat bolts can be a bit of a pain. They are two extended bolts that go forward under the back of the seat and screw into welded fasteners. They are allen head, or socket head. Triumph put a allen wrench behind the right side cover. You can use a coin to undo the screw for the side cover and then you need a crow bar to lever out the allen wrench so that you can undo the seat bolts. Some people have said that the seat bolts or side cover bolts vibrate out. I haven't noticed this. Mine have always stayed in tight. They are awkward to get at and if it's dark out, you won't be able to see them. If you have luggage, you are going to need to remove it.
There are better ways to fasten a seat to a bike, this ain't it. I might make a hinge for my seat with some sort of clip or clips to hold it down. Still have to think that one through.

zmilin

Street Tracker
Thanks Roger! Karen is about 5-10 and ran a Summer Screen on her America.
Whats the height of that screen from the headlamp cut out to top of screen?

We have a buddy with a Bonny that has the long haul screen. Were going to go take a look at that. This will give me a point of reference so I can get her a screen that will work for her.

Quick release is once but we rarely remove our screens. Maybe once a year for a good detail but thats not that big a deal.

Also sounds like a set of easy acess seat bolts are in order.

retrorider

Scooter
I had the summer screen for several years but got rid of it because it produced too much buffeting, which gets tiresome on a long ride. I installed the Dart screen and it keeps the wind off my chest while leaving my head and helmet in clean air. Much better.

strokerlmt

The wife traded her 07 America for a 13 T100 yesterday. We don't have it yet because I needed to strip off all the accessories from the America before the dealer gets it. Probably won't have it till next weekend due to working late. Anyway...
Im looking for some info. Im not a noob to all this but I am a noob to the Bonneville world.

Engine guards - I see the OEM triangle, the Renntec and then there seems to be a frame slider/case protector. She doesn't like the Free Spirit look ("too spacey" were the words used). Keeping in mind the engine cases are chrome and she like that classic look, Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Bags - She wants saddlebags. We had easy brackets on her America but I don't see an easy bracket option for the Bonnie. Any suggestions?

Shell get to the performance stuff in little while.

Thanks for any input in advance.

I am a T100 fanatic…..love the bike, ride engine and look. I believe she will like the bike very much……

Just my opinions and comes from dozens of mods and custom work to my 2003 T100.
Windscreen……I like the smaller 3/4 screens. Surf the web you will find one. At one point I took a summer screen, purchased a special lexan saw blade and shaved the summer screen down until it stopped buffeting.
I like the renntec and the Tri design. I have a tip over in the garage and NOTHING was damaged including bar end mirrors.
I put stock brackets on with soft bags, seat bag and tank bag and hauled everything I need.
Get the quick release bolts for seat and side covers. Cheap easy to use. Pull off seat and covers with no tools.
Good luck…..enjoy the Bonne……
LMT

Flaco

750cc
I put stock brackets on with soft bags, seat bag and tank bag and hauled everything I need.
Get the quick release bolts for seat and side covers. Cheap easy to use. Pull off seat and covers with no tools.
Good luck…..enjoy the Bonne……
LMT
A+ What he said...

Demar

Two Stroke
There are better ways to fasten a seat to a bike, this ain't it. I might make a hinge for my seat with some sort of clip or clips to hold it down. Still have to think that one through.

I just throw a 5mm T-handle allen wrench into the bottom of my saddlebags or day bag. Easy peasy to remove the seat.

41hs4mzfn1l.jpg

Mr.Noisy

Scooter
RE: Pannier bags

I think that the SW Motech Blaze panniers are the best option for the bonneville / thruxton...

Roger

Street Tracker
I just throw a 5mm T-handle allen wrench into the bottom of my saddlebags or day bag. Easy peasy to remove the seat.

41hs4mzfn1l.jpg

This would work nice. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to get saddle bags at this time. I throw my drinks, snacks and whatever else I need in a backpack for now. If there is any weight in there, it gets a bit heavy after longer rides. Might look at a small bag I can strap to the seat and sissy bar. I don't usually carry much, just enough for a day trip.

Demar

Two Stroke
Might look at a small bag I can strap to the seat and sissy bar. I don't usually carry much, just enough for a day trip.

I use this MotoCentric tail bag. It has built-in bungee cords (4 hooks) and is a snap to mount. It's not small but more mid-size and is expandable. It's fairly low profile. The bungee hooks tuck under a flap/pouch on the bottom when off the bike. It's good quality.

th-1.jpg

FOTOStelvio_zpsa262477c.jpg

Last edited:

zmilin

Street Tracker
Demar, that's a good looking tail bag! Where do you hook it on the Bonny? I got her the shock spindles (transferred over form her America). The fender isn't an option so all I can think is under the seat but that might wear away the vinyl/leather material after a while.

So far she has decided on the Triumph Longhaul quick release screen, Triumph bar end mirrors (that I'll have to make work with her ISO grips also transferred over from the America - gotta find a shop to put them on a lathe and do it right), and the paint protection kit. I also got her the stainless steel black seat bolts from newbonneville. I've heard a lot about those seat bolts.

She's still considering luggage options and is also debating between the TPUSA Dominators and Norman Hyde Togas (I'm pulling for the Dominators).

She's left the suspension to me but that's another thread for later.

Demar, that's a good looking tail bag! Where do you hook it on the Bonny?

I've got a TourMaster and if you look closely there's a bungee cord that runs just over the top of the rear shock mount and hooks to the triangular frame where the passenger peg mounts on and then an other bungee cord hooks to my rear turn signal (this is on both sides of the bike). This stabilizes it pretty well. I've traveled from Seattle to Missoula like this without any problems.

50A57AD0-8942-4E00-B813-E81FAFA836EA-9127-00000CE07C093F36_zpsd7d39049.jpg

Demar

Two Stroke
Where do you hook it on the Bonny?

I hook the front bungees to the luggage frame near the top shock mount bolt and as I have the grab rail I attach the rear hooks to the grab rail.

If you can't attach the hook to a bolt or frame you can loop the bungee around the bolt and then hook the hook to it's own bungee.

You could wrap a bungee tightly around the tail light and then attach the rear hooks to the bungee.

Last edited: