New Bike Project for LMT

strokerlmt

Thx for the compliment Rodburner....she is a wonderful, independent beautiful lady....I expect when we are done despite Sweatmachine she will pose on her machine.............
LMT

strokerlmt

God love her my wife is a classy lady......her bike.....The frame, swingarm and yokes AND kick stand will be the Blue from the RAF roundel. fenders, tank, side covers, sprocket cover, valve cover, light bucket rim, speeedo cup and bracket, lights will be fusion white.
I have a lot of work ahead of me.
LMT

strokerlmt

I have a question for The Dude, Rodburner, Sweatmachine and anyone with more experience than me.
I have seen a lot of street trackers with no lower rails. It seems that with the engine bolted in firmly that the lower rail is redundant. Do you think this could be removed completely on the stock frames ?????
Thx
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5679.jpg
    IMG_5679.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0

rodburner

Rocker
Lach,I've seen pics of that a couple times,and it does look different,but if Triumph didn't design the Bonnie motor as a "stressed member",I would be very hesitant to delete the lower rails.Look at your frame.All of the suspension loading would now be concentrated on those small,welded sheet metal triangles that the gas tank bolts to. Personally,I'd be paranoid as hell that a big unexpected jolt would snap off the whole back end.I liken it cutting off the entire roof of a car without re-enforcing the frame.Some day you might come home in a banana mobile. A slim chance,sure,but you never know...

tezza

Street Tracker
you would proably find the separate frame tube is to make it eaiser to install the motor on the production line it would have to be there for strength.

strokerlmt

Steve I was staring at my bike....and my wife's frame (I mean her motorcycle frame) and a picture of a street tracker with no rails and I have to agree with you. The engine becomes the frame rails and I'm with you it just doesn't look or feel right. So leaving as is.....I am stripped down and the frame, swingarm, triple trees and foot rest are ready for a paint job in RAF roundel royal blue.
Before and after soon....
LMT

strokerlmt

UPDATE........
All the bits frame etc prepped and going to powder coater today.
I lucked out and found a running/salvage 2005 Bonneville at SAFARI CYCLE in Longbeach and a local hauler is picking up and bringing to me tomorrow.
I built a plywood table 4 X 8 2 feet high then I have a 2x8inch carpeted box which the frame will sit on with tie downs.
Then it is put her together and see if it starts;-)))
The garage looks like a bomb went off so when I clean it up I will add some pictures.

NEED ADVICE and input from all.....the one part I have yet to get a feel for is the exhaust system.....I have my 2 dominators to 1 side (rt side) ....I have std headers to preds.....and I have a scrambler system.....

I would appreciate some thoughts about the final look......thx
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
I would venture to say that black headers and cans on a RAF blue and white bike might look a bit strange. I vote for white exhaust tape wrapped headers with chrome cans. Can't wait to see picts. Enjoy the build!

strokerlmt

some people should not be allowed to own a triumph or a skate board or make children. I am taking apart a salvage bike I purchased ...2005.....and I have to tell you who ever owned the bike never washed it, put a rag on it, changed the oil, did nadda....fucking shame......
LMT

strokerlmt

horrible picture....flash makes the blue very light in reality it is RAF dark blue.

has anyone pulled and replace d a bent shift rod....is it an easy job ?????

Thx
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0

rodburner

Rocker
never replaced the rod,but I can't imagine its bent inside the engine at all,so I would try slipping a deep well socket over it and using a big breaker bar to gently straighten it ,before having to pull the motor and take it to the dealer..

strokerlmt

Thx Sweatmachine.......I am going to pull the cover tonight after I do teh socket / bar slow bend trick from Rodburner. All I want is an almost straight bar that will seal properly.
I have resigned myself to the fact that I am a shitty techno picture recorder of the shit I do.....so here is a picture of the wifes engine on the lift. I was really surprised how simple it was to remove the rails secure the engine and remove the frame....
My pictures will be crap but if anyone has a question pls ask and I can send additional boring shots.......
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0

nohawk

Rocker
I think you might need to order that seal Lach, Was it leaking any oil from around the shaft? Even if bending it works I would bet the seal is shot.

strokerlmt

Nooooo....you are right.....I have a straight shaft/rod but the seal which was leaking is shot.....so thx for the heads up.....I will order a new seal tomorrow.
LMT

strokerlmt

The bike is going back together and it is nice to work with clean bits.

It is raining now .....so I thought I would jack up my bike and give her a good clean. The more I cleaned and washed and cleaned and I got frustrated....so now my bike is down to an engine and frame. I have a frame which I have worked on to lighten plus all other bits off to the powder coat shop for new clothes.

LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5694.jpg
    IMG_5694.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5695.jpg
    IMG_5695.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5699.jpg
    IMG_5699.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0

2Monkeys

Street Tracker
Love the blue frame. You cut off the bottom leg of the passenger foot peg supports... very balanced of you to do the upper on one bike and the lower on the other! I'm curious as to why you chose to go that way... can't wait to see them back together. Cheers

strokerlmt

never replaced the rod,but I can't imagine its bent inside the engine at all,so I would try slipping a deep well socket over it and using a big breaker bar to gently straighten it ,before having to pull the motor and take it to the dealer..

Steve....thx for the idea.....I left the old casing on , it is scratched, and used a deep well socket and a 4 foot piece of black pipe and very gently straightened the shaft. Nohawk was right the seal was trashed anyway. I have a new casing which is being powder coated to match the stock black. So I will be able to slide the straight shaft through a new seal and hopefully no leak.
LMT