NAPA oil filter

drlapo

Hooligan
do not use NAPA filter 1356, I have had 3 of them leak immediatly upon start up
they look like they will fit and the dimensions are good but they leak
I'll stay with Super Tech 6607

Thanks for the heads up...I was actually about to take the NAPA route. I'll stick with Supertech...cheap and hasn't failed me yet.

Kingmoham

Scooter
do not use NAPA filter 1356, I have had 3 of them leak immediatly upon start up
they look like they will fit and the dimensions are good but they leak
I'll stay with Super Tech 6607

RE: NAPA 1356, The only cross reference list I have ever seen that filter on (For Triumphs) is the 'DO NOT USE LIST.'

Too bad you bought 3 of them.

watermark.php

JohnWW

moped
NAPA Filters

I have been using NAPA gold rs for thre years woithout problem. I make it a point to smear some oil on the rubber seal before tightening. So far no leaks.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
If it leaks on start up , its not the right filter Why did you try it 3 times?

I have used the NAPA1358's for 10,000 miles with no problem.

ssjones

750cc
If it leaks on start up , its not the right filter Why did you try it 3 times?

I have used the NAPA1358's for 10,000 miles with no problem.

Same here, 1358 = no problems. Lately, I've been using the Purolator PureOne 14612 because they're readily available from Advance Auto, which is open in the evenings. My NAPA only has daytime hours, making it a little less convenient.

T

thruxstoned

bosch 3300 - local parts store always has them and I always buy them

dschief

750cc
Ok, I'm confused about that list. I have used the K&N-204 on many occasions and had absolutely no problems with them, with the possible exception of the price, but you get what you can get when you need it. It also has that really convenient nut too. Hell, I only need 4 filters a year (2 bikes x 2 oil changes per year). Why is that filter on the "Not Recommended Filters" list? I have never heard of any problems with them, or did I miss something?

Motley

750cc
Ok, I'm confused about that list. I have used the K&N-204 on many occasions and had absolutely no problems with them, with the possible exception of the price, but you get what you can get when you need it. It also has that really convenient nut too. Hell, I only need 4 filters a year (2 bikes x 2 oil changes per year). Why is that filter on the "Not Recommended Filters" list? I have never heard of any problems with them, or did I miss something?

I've used the K&N aswell as most of the Fram filters that aren't recommended with no issues. I think the writer's issue was with the filter media internal to the filters; however if the filters are changed frequently and regularly I really don't believe they'll do the motor any harm.

dschief

750cc
Just noticed something else that is wrong with that list. The filter listed for the Adventurer (one of which I owned for almost 10 years) is a Fram CH6012, which will work fine, but the supplied O-rings will NOT work, especially the filter plate O-ring. It is too big for the groove and will cause a leak. I always reused the old Triumph O-ring if I used a Fram filter on that bike. I am starting to wonder about the validity of this list. Does the writer work for Fram? Just putting it out there, food for thought.

dschief

750cc
I've used the K&N aswell as most of the Fram filters that aren't recommended with no issues. I think the writer's issue was with the filter media internal to the filters; however if the filters are changed frequently and regularly I really don't believe they'll do the motor any harm.

I would say I probably used the K&N 50% of the time on my Thruxton. When the dealer installed the new crank cases last year, the tech told me the engine was as clean as new inside. Absolutely no sludge. I guess that means the oil (Mobil1 MX4T) and filters (K&N, Fram, & OEM) did their jobs. The starter gear boss failure was deemed "not lubrication related", which is why I received FREE cases from Triumph 2 years out of warranty.

Kingmoham

Scooter
Food for thought.

I always reused the old Triumph O-ring if I used a Fram filter on that bike. I am starting to wonder about the validity of this list. Does the writer work for Fram? Just putting it out there, food for thought.

You can use any filter you want. It's your motorcycle.

However after reading the entire article and reading why the writer points to certain oil filters instead of others, it makes sense to me. I don't think the writer works for FRAM...far from it... as he doesn't list FRAM in any of his recommended filters.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

drlapo

Hooligan
I had three of the NAPA filters in a box that I "inherited" , no purchase involved
they all measured up OK but leaked on start up
ergo the warning

dschief

750cc
You can use any filter you want. It's your motorcycle.

However after reading the entire article and reading why the writer points to certain oil filters instead of others, it makes sense to me. I don't think the writer works for FRAM...far from it... as he doesn't list FRAM in any of his recommended filters.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

Thanks, I didn't know there was an article to go along with the list! It does bring more light on the subject, except for the T3 O-ring debacle.
As I no longer own that bike, I really don't care anymore. It was just an observation.

Cheers!

DIRK

750cc
or one can just use the non leaking proper fitting factory filter but you would then have more time to complain about something else

cafenoir900

VENDOR
I have used the Fram PH6017A on all my oil changes with no apparent problems. What's the problem with this one? '04 Thrux, 50k+ miles