My TR9C

taw1126

Scooter
Somebody asked for photos of my Scrambler with bar-end mirrors, and I'll take this excuse to walk through the mods I've made so far (and what I plan to do in the short-term).

L1020019.jpg

Bike is a "leftover" 2008 I bought in May of '09. I purposely looked for a carb'd bike because I wanted something fairly easy to work on and as true to the originals as possible. I'm not sure it's actually any easier to work on, but I like having old fashioned crap like a "Reserve" setting on the tank, functional choke, idle adjustment, etc. Plus it's pretty easy to add power at-will through simple driveway modification.

Factory add-ons include the tach & headlight "grill" (dealer-installed before I ever found the bike), skid plate, standard Bonnie seat in place of the Solo Seat & Rack that was on it when I bought it, and the color-matched Flyscreen (I'm not real shot in the ass with the way that looks, but it makes a huge difference at 70 mph +). Also swapped the tank badges to ones that look circa 1968 or so, and replaced the mouse ears with CRS LS bar ends.

L1020020.jpg

Perhaps the biggest difference from the standpoint of looks, performance, and nostalgia are the Norman Hyde slip-ons. I don't think I would have paid retail for them, but for $300 off Craigslist I couldn't lose. They sound so much better than the factory TORS it isn't even funny...not louder, just better. The TORS are "blatty" and these Hydes just sound sweet. Along with the exhaust mods I went to 115 main jets and pulled the snorkel.

Next up: I suppose that piss-cup master cylinder has to go now that the mouse ears aren't there to draw attention away from it. I'll also probably put a gel Scrambler seat on it; I like the looks of the Bonnie seat from an originality standpoint but it's sculpted in a way that just isn't comfortable. An airbox removal kit and bigger jets are on the way, and I'll probably spring for one of the Triumph City Bags so I can commute on this beast.

Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
Thanks...and thanks for the help getting the jets right. I've got to get the airbox removal done and plant some bigger jets again. What did you move up to when you chopped your airbox?

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
I didn't remove my airbox. I tried the double inlet airbox.

CIMG2419.JPG

Using 135 mains jets, 2 turns on the mixture screws, and stock pilot jets. Runs great!

taw1126

Scooter
I didn't remove my airbox. I tried the double inlet airbox.

Using 135 mains jets, 2 turns on the mixture screws, and stock pilot jets. Runs great!
Yep, I saw somewhere else that you'd modified the box (that's what I meant by "chopped"...maybe not the best choice of words on my part). Did you have to remove the airbox for those mods? And did you remove the baffles when you did that?

I think I'm going straight to airbox removal and 140 mains after Christmas. The only downside I can see is that there won't be any easy gains left to grab, but I really don't know that I'll ever need more. The jump from stock to 115's & open exhaust was so dramatic I can't wait to see what a NARK & bigger jets will bring...

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Yep, I saw somewhere else that you'd modified the box (that's what I meant by "chopped"...maybe not the best choice of words on my part). Did you have to remove the airbox for those mods? And did you remove the baffles when you did that?

You don't have to remove the box. You should remove the right hand side of it to cut the opening. And then the filer cover on the left side gets "opened" up. And I did pull the baffles out. I can walk you through it. A Dremel tool, files, and a little time basically. Well worth the effort for the gains. It's remarkable how much it improves the performance. No complaints here.

Deano

Two Stroke
good looking bike, I like the modifications you have done etc. This bike is exactly the same as mine, colour wise, last of the carby models. I quite like the look of the bar end mirrors too. Good to see them in photo's mounted etc.
Did you end up selling the single seat & rack???

taw1126

Scooter
Thanks Deano. I'll admit, this color scheme wasn't my first choice but it has grown on me significantly.

As for the seat- I haven't sold it yet.

Deano

Two Stroke
Thanks Deano. I'll admit, this color scheme wasn't my first choice but it has grown on me significantly.

As for the seat- I haven't sold it yet.

Would you be interested in working out a price, and the hassle of freighting it out to NZ? I am after one, but you wouldnt beleive the prices they charge for a single seat and rack out here, so it might be worth my while , depending. Those bar end mirror's of yours have really grown on me, and I like your comments about the pipes. I have the TOR's but your right about the blatty sound. at first I thought it was great, but I get a bit sick of it on a long ride.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
You don't have to remove the box. You should remove the right hand side of it to cut the opening. And then the filer cover on the left side gets "opened" up. And I did pull the baffles out. I can walk you through it. A Dremel tool, files, and a little time basically. Well worth the effort for the gains. It's remarkable how much it improves the performance. No complaints here.

Pardon my coming in late with this...

I'm going to be modifying the airbox on my Scram (to go with the Thunderbike pipes), and for the life-a-me I cannot find any pics showing the infamous 'restrictor plate' I'm going to remove. Is it that obvious, and is it intended to be removed (ie. disassemble the airbox and reassemble omitting the restrictor), or is this a cut-job?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:ride::brit:

Hiltz

Scooter
I love the look of bar ends but am reluctant to increase the width of my bars as I lane split through some very narrow slots in L.A. traffic.

wiseanhyzer

Two Stroke
Pardon my coming in late with this...

I'm going to be modifying the airbox on my Scram (to go with the Thunderbike pipes), and for the life-a-me I cannot find any pics showing the infamous 'restrictor plate' I'm going to remove. Is it that obvious, and is it intended to be removed (ie. disassemble the airbox and reassemble omitting the restrictor), or is this a cut-job?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:ride::brit:

You'll have to take off the right hand side of the airbox to remove to restrictor plate. It'll slide out and be obvious when you get the rh side off. Unbolting the airbox from the frame will loosen it up enough to get the screws out of the rh side. You shouldn't have to cut anything to get it out.

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
You'll have to take off the right hand side of the airbox to remove to restrictor plate. It'll slide out and be obvious when you get the rh side off. Unbolting the airbox from the frame will loosen it up enough to get the screws out of the rh side. You shouldn't have to cut anything to get it out.

Perfect! Thanks lad.

taw1126

Scooter
Thanks LMT. I'm actually trying to get rid of it in favor of a Thruxton though...we'll see if I can swing it (and then how much, or if, I'll miss the Scram).