My new to me '06

oldroadie

Scooter
I'm back, this time with an 06 Scrambler that I've been trading bikes off in order to acquire. Moved the 64 Trophy this past winter and that 04 America last month to make room in the garage:

06Scram4.JPG

06Scram3.JPG

06Scram2.JPG

Once I re-lace the rear wheel to replace the three broken spokes this should be an awesome daily driver. Two snapped on the drive side, one on the brake side and six really loose spokes encouraged me to just order a new kit from Buchanans and do the whole wheel over. Have a missed a rash of broken Scrambler spokes or am I a lonely exception?

strokerlmt

Old.....ffffing nice scram....love the tank colors and the pipes....nice bike....hmmmm I have never had spoke problems like that.....look for a reason maybe....
LMT

Kiwi

Two Stroke
Green and Silver, my favourite coloured Scrambler, cool. Is that a floating front disc and and a new calliper I spy on there also - Brembo perhaps? I can't quite make it out.

britman

Scooter
Good Looking Bike

I believe the 2006 is the only year of the satin engine covers on the Scrambler. I like that color combo, enjoy the new ride. I find it interesting that you sold a 64. I have been getting the urge to own a vintage bike again, must be the lack of oil on my garage floor. Been thinking of moving my 2007 Scramy to do just the opposite of your move, like I said, just thinking for time being.........

whyme

TT Racer
There is an 07 same color on ebay right now with 28 bids and up to $5,700 so far....I'm selling!! 2 days on the auction left.

whyme

TT Racer
it just ended yesterday.....it was listed as a Bonneville and only had Scrambler in the subhead. I'll send you a screen shot. closed at 5700 and did not reach the reserve.

whyme

TT Racer
Not sure if this ok to do here...but here it is...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-27 at 10.05.29 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-09-27 at 10.05.29 AM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
broken spokes

IMG_0730.jpg
[/IMG]

My little trailer queen

My '06 suffered some of the early wheel issues. The front developed into a brake rotor warping machine. Most guys replaced the original brake rotors with floating rotors like the one on your new '06. I figured it was a new bike, it shouldn't warp rotors every few thousand miles so I brought it back to Triumph under warranty and they replaced the original rotor... 3 times! Eventually they got the idea that I was not going away and the dealer measured the run-out and found the hub to be defective. Triumph replaced the whole front wheel under warranty. And surprise, 63,000 miles later and no warped front brake rotors.

After about 30 or 40,000 miles, the rear let me down with the same broken spoke issue you now face. It was a poor hub design - all spokes on one side of hub. Triumph knew about it and they changed the rear hub design, which is why we have a straight-pull spoke rear hub after 2009. My rear wheel was replaced with the newer straight-pull spoke hub under warranty.

Some guys went out and spent a fortune on Talon hubs, some went to Buccanon and had them re-laced with thicker/stronger spokes.

If I was in your boat, I'd keep my eyes peeled for an '09 or later used rear wheel. If you can get a lightly used front/rear set for $550-$600 delivered you've done real good.

You can do well using OEM parts that were never used or lightly used - usually from noobs or wealthy gents who are upgrading parts. After NYC pot holes bent the crap out of my new wheels, I picked up a set of original Bonnie rims that the original owner had replaced with aluminum Excel rims after a few hundred miles. I paid $150 delivered (from CA to NY) and had a local mechanic relaced them during his slow winter period for $75 per wheel.

Last edited: