My Bonnie keeps Dying...Can you HELP PLEASE.

Hello Peeps. I have a very early Bonnie 2002 with 24000 on the clock. I use my horse to and thro work in the early hours but have run into trouble. Whilst travelling at speed the other day, she just cut out as if i had to change from Main, to reserve on the petrol valve. There was no coughing, or spluttering. Just a straight forward cut out. I checked the fuel flow , of which i had, and fiddled with bits, [not that i could see much it was dark].
She just point blank refused to start. After about 15 mins, she would fire up again. I would get going only for 5 top 6 miles down the road it would happen again. This happened 4 times until the battery finally died and i had to be recovered. I know about the venting probs there has been and am currently working my way through the fuel system which isnt a problem. My question is......Could this be a Coil Problem breaking down.?? Could this be a PICK-UP coil problem?? What else could it be?? Can anyone please help. ?? Thankyou.. Buddy.:motorbike2:

Norvel

Two Stroke
School of thought is that if it just "Cuts-out" look for electrical.

Fuel problems tend to sputter or surge.

bluedes

Scooter
check the electic connector under the seat..the seat hits it and breaks the connection ...that is what happened to mine ...bluedes

mark66

TT Racer
+1 on the last two posters. I'd be looking for an electrical problem not fuel. Keep in mind that kick stand switch and its circuit.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Start with battery terminals, make sure they are tight. Then when you get a full battery charge - check for spark at a grounded plug, from there its test coil (including 12 volt power at coil with switch on) , test pickup or signal generator, igniter. Check side stand switch and ignition switch.

DandyDoug

750cc
I had a similar problem with my 05, after a replacement set of coils, three different ignition pulsers, it was finally determined to be the dreaded black box .
The one that mounts under the seat on the rear fender. Once it was found to have an intermitent fault I have had no further problems.

I suggest you try one from another bike and see if that cures your problem.

Good luck with your search for the problem and an easy resolution.

nohawk

Rocker
I just had both electrical and fueling problems, sidestand switch had to be jumped and Two float bowl bolts were missing!!! Not a real fun ride.

alxfer

Scooter
I'm went through the same problems.
Found the coil open circuit on secondary side. Replaced it, bike started OK outside garage. I put it away for the day, came next day, no start. No spark at plugs
Try a known good spark plug against the head to see if you get a spark.
Check out the electrical switches, side stand,cut out, neutral, ignition, diode pack, clutch.
I drew a blank on all of these, I am suspecting the ECU but I am getting a professional to double check before I fork out an arm and a leg for a new one.
Happy hunting

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
do you guys have a service manual? You absolutely have to have one to diagnose. I have one and would be happy to look up and.or send you some info. pm me.