My 07 America is fucked up...

Str8up

Scooter
I was out this afternoon enjoying the weather when I shifted down at a stop light. I heard this loud as shit CLICK!!! I eased off the road is a mass of backfires and clanking noises. There she sat untill my buddy showed up with his trailor. I'm not sure what happend but it blew the weekend plans all to hell.

I'm generally an optimist but I don't think there's much hope for a simple fix on this one..... I'm waiting for a call back from the Triumph dealer now. :mad:

Bonafide

NBR founder
just a guess ... if we're playing 20 guesses: broken cam chain.

sorry about your bike. hopefully you'll get it back on the road in no time.

just a guess ... if we're playing 20 guesses: broken cam chain.

sorry about your bike. hopefully you'll get it back on the road in no time.

ha! I know what that sounds like. That's not good. Hopefully it's under warranty, but I can't see the thing just breaking a cam chain unless someone fucked with it.

Str8up

Scooter
Yea Sweatmachine and Bonafide, I thought the same thing but only 1800 miles and she ran great up to this point. If the service manager at the dealer would ever call me back I'd make arrangements to get her in a find out for sure.

Whatever it is I'm pretty sure I will be bikeless for a whiile.....Think they would give me a loaner?

Str8up

Scooter
The dealer finally called about an our ago. I missed the call while I was mowing the grass. Called them back and they are going to come by the house and next week and picke her up. I was told they probabley will be able to get me a loaner if the repairs are going to take a while. I'm thinking about trying out a Thruxon. It should be fun for a week or so before I get my Baby back. Any other suggestions?

Triumph%20001.jpg

Last edited:

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
Be firm but polite on the question of a loaner. It is a good idea to get something different from what you have but beggars can not be choosers, if they offer only a second hand plain bonnie accept it without question.

two questions that may affect warranty, have you dropped it (if a gearbox problem) and have you had the 500 mile service done by a triumph dealer?

Str8up

Scooter
Stagger...Just got back from a long weekend at the beach. To answer your questions no I haven't dropped it and I did have the 500 mile service performed by the dealer so as far as that goes I should be all set. They will be here Friday to pick up the bike so it will be a few more days until I can find out what it is. I feel as if my dealer, Motorcycles of Charlotte, is top notch so hopefull all will go well.

Str8up

Scooter
I haven't found out what's wrong with her yet. They picked her up late Friday and wasn't able to get to diagnoseing the problem yet. My dealer is closed on Sundays and Mondays so they assured me they would get started right away this morning. I'll definetly keep you all informed of what I find out. As for the loaner, I was offered a bonnie silver but I hadn't picked it up yet. Too busy on Saturday to get over there. I'll stop by the dealer today and if the repairs are going to be more than a day I'll be putting some test miles on the Bonnie! I originally went to the dealer to check out the Bonnie T100 when I fell for my girl and bought the America. I'll be able to do a nice comparison after a couple of hundred miles on the Bonnie.

Str8up

Scooter
Do I feel like a dumb ass!

Well....after all the waiting around I finally got her back. I felt really stupid when the service manager was explaining what was wrong. All it was was a little rubber cap came off one of the vaccume ports on the starboard carb. It was sucking air causing the backfires and the enbalance caused the clanking noise.

At least it wasn't anything major! I went for a short 40 miler today and she purred like a kitten.

uzidzit

Two Stroke
when I saww this for the first time today

I was going to say vac cap, or hose popped off, re jet it so it won't happen again if you connect the take offs with a piece of hose this will not happen, and the idle will be just fine:)

ssjones

750cc
Well....after all the waiting around I finally got her back. I felt really stupid when the service manager was explaining what was wrong. All it was was a little rubber cap came off one of the vaccume ports on the starboard carb. It was sucking air causing the backfires and the enbalance caused the clanking noise.

At least it wasn't anything major! I went for a short 40 miler today and she purred like a kitten.
I love a simple solution, good news! At least you will know what it sounds like when it happens again. Those things degrade after a few years, good reminder to check mine. You can pick up a box selection at Autozone, etc. for a buck or two.

rmak

moped
Str,
Same thing happened to me. Get some small cable ties and tie all four caps down onto the tubes. That way they only come off when you want them to.
Rich

mrt202

Street Tracker
+1 on the cable/ zip ties.
The vacuum caps you get from most parts stores do not last very long before they start cracking. Check them often and carry a couple of spares with you all the time.

SLEDHEAD

Two Stroke
Str,
Same thing happened to me. Get some small cable ties and tie all four caps down onto the tubes. That way they only come off when you want them to.
Rich

Same here....Happened to me a couple of weeks ago...Only dealer open on Sundays around here is a Yammi/Honda place....$3.00 ea...OUCH