Muffler Packing Material?

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I have a Thunderbike Pipe on my Scrambler, and I realized it was a packable muffler. It is LOUD and raspy, and am hoping packing it will help quiet it down, and mellow it out a bit. I am not expecting miracles, but the pipe has a lot of wear/miles from the PO and I hope packing will help.

The question is, what to pack it with? I was thinking Stainless Steel, but is that the best alternative? If so, what fineness should I use?

Thanks,

Jim :cool:

DIRK

750cc
parts unlimited pg 113 has kerker muff packing 8.00. tucker rocky pg 118 helix muff packing 17.00. if ou desire you can add metal baffle's to the system to quiet it down but you will have to check your space before buying.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
parts unlimited pg 113 has kerker muff packing 8.00. tucker rocky pg 118 helix muff packing 17.00. if ou desire you can add metal baffle's to the system to quiet it down but you will have to check your space before buying.

Where can I get metal baffles?

Thanks,

jim :cool:

DIRK

750cc
same companies. parts will have a better selection. ring your dealer, see if they work with parts unlimited. coleman and the motorcycle factory can both help you.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
same companies. parts will have a better selection. ring your dealer, see if they work with parts unlimited. coleman and the motorcycle factory can both help you.

Hey Dirk, you must have once been a Dale City local. Thanks, I will check them out.

ivar

TT Racer
It is LOUD and raspy, and am hoping packing it will help quiet it down, and mellow it out a bit. I am not expecting miracles, but the pipe has a lot of wear/miles from the PO and I hope packing will help.

Then, repacking it should help a lot. The D&D's is reported to last around 6K miles between repacks if I remember correctly.

Like the others say, use fiberglass packing. Steel wool will burn out pretty quick.
If you got any MX bike shops nearby, I'd check with them.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
I did it yesterday:

0826091802.jpg

Messed up packing making the exhaust blatty and loud!

0826091804.jpg

Packing removed

0826091823.jpg

Repacked.

The sound is much more mellow and smoother!

Huge improvement for $6.

ssjones

750cc
Good pix. I have to do the Specialty Spares pipes on my America soon, I know that material inside is wasted. When you mentioned locally, that was a local bike shop, right?

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Good pix. I have to do the Specialty Spares pipes on my America soon, I know that material inside is wasted. When you mentioned locally, that was a local bike shop, right?

Right, a generic UJM shop, Coleman's Powersports in Woodbridge, VA!

Jim, I have had some experience as we used to manufacture the Mad Dog pipes for Rocket 3's and Speedmasters. We used a fibreglass 'wadding' which had a thickness of 10mm however it is important to wrap some stainless steel 'wool' around the perforated baffle tube first... then the wading secured by wire as you have done. This prevents the fibres escaping and means you virtually never have to repack the baffle. As you have found, a deep and mellow note is the result. Mufflers that rely on a 'mechanical' baffle normally comprising a fluted steel tube insert, end up with a sharp raucous note created by the sound waves "rattling" around the insides. Griz