Motorcycle Safety Foundation - Basic Riders Course

West

Scooter
Hmmm,, Joel I not only cover the brake in a turn, I sometimes USE my front brake going into a turn. What kind of discussion of trail braking did they give you?

As for the figure 8, congradulations but I never heard of anyone saving their ass by pulling a figure 8.

It's important to recognize that Joel it talking about the "Basic" riders course. "Trail" braking is something left to experienced riders and those on the race track. The last thing you want is an inexperienced rider trying to modulate a front brake while leaned over... bam! Watched it happen many times as an instructor. If I was teaching someone to jump off a diving board I wouldn't start with a 1 1/2 twist backward spiral!

As others have mentioned riding in a straight line, even fast, is easy. You ever see the video of the squirrel on a water-ski... it's going in a fairly straight line. It's the slower speed manuver or stopping quickly that bite people on the ass... hence the figure 8 and other clutch/throttle/braking manuvers that make us better riders over all.

I can't count on my fingers and toes how many "experienced" riders I've taken out to a parking lot's, asked them perform a manuver that required counter balancing, counter-steering or clutch/throttle/brake modulation and watched them fail miserably. They are the kind of riders that have many miles under their seat but still drag both feet in parking lots and have stories of "laying er' down" to avoid an accident, which is code word for "I panicked, locked the rear tire and low sided" instead of using both brakes to slow then ride around the danger.

TonUp

Street Tracker
Excellent!

Great to hear such positive feedback!

I am in my seventh year as an MSF instructor and I love teaching this course. I also get to coach younger riders on Track Days and help them improve their skill level.

The MSF is doing a pretty good job!:cheer::cheer::cheer:

Ton Up!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
West - you and I may disagree.

The last thing you want is an inexperienced rider trying to modulate a front brake while leaned over... bam!

I don't know, it's worse if they dont modulate it and just panic and stand the bike up in a turn. Maybe if they weren't told not to brake they wouldn't panic.

It's the slower speed manuver or stopping quickly that bite people on the ass... hence the figure 8 and other clutch/throttle/braking manuvers that make us better riders over all.

Actually it's lack of situational awareness that bites people on the ass. That or Bonafide's dog.

pepper

Street Tracker
I can remember when there was no riding requirement at all for a motorcycle license. It seemed like a lot more people got hurt back then. I firmly believe rider safety courses saves lives. While not perfect for everything and everybody, they are sure as hell a lot better than nothing at all.

em_dot

Street Tracker
I firmly believe rider safety courses saves lives. While not perfect for everything and everybody, they are sure as hell a lot better than nothing at all.

+1

While I will leave the specific course content to fellas with significantly more experience than me, the MSF Basic Motorcycle Course was very worth while overall. I was one of those guys that learned to ride because a friend or two took a few minutes to show me how and then off on my own. I don't remember any saftey courses back then.

Hell, in the early 80's the state of MA (err... Commonwealth...) didn't have a written drivers test at all. Just five oral questions and then a quick trip around the block in the car. 3 point turn, parallel park and that was it. So in '84 the Motorcycle test was a parking lot drill of emergency stop, and figure 8 is about all I can remember. No written or oral test. Easy, breazy, but I was not prepared to ride on the road. Thank God I was 18 yrs old and bullet proof!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
While not perfect for everything and everybody, they are sure as hell a lot better than nothing at all. - Pepper

I realize I am in the minority. Perhaps as you say , for someone who is going to ride no matter what, the course is good.

I suppose what irks me , and this has happened a couple of times when I used to do the group ride thing - a total novice with a MC endorsement and a monster bike who cannot ride worth anything will spout of how great the MSF course is. They got their license doing a figure 8 at 20 mph on a Honda Rebel and then took out their 1600. And I am thinking - I just saw you almost hit a telephone pole in the parking lot - what are you bragging on?

So I ask them a couple of questions and they have no idea. Not that I am a great rider. It just seems like when I ask about stuff like counting mississippi 's or planning escapes they look at me blank. So I complain about the figure 8's. Waste of time. No one's life was ever saved by pulling a figure 8.