Motorcycle Safety Foundation - Basic Riders Course

em_dot

Street Tracker
Last week I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Basic Riders Course at a local community college. Long story/short… Though I originally got my motorcycle license in 1984, I never had any formal training. Over the years I let my MC endorsement lapse moving from state to state while serving in the Marines. I had well over a decade of lapse time when I got my Bonnie last summer. I’ve been riding on an MC permit since August 2008 (MC permits in NC are good for 18 months).

Recently, a friend and I have been talking about taking the experienced riders course. I took the basic course last week to make sure that I had a decent foundation before I jumped into the experienced rider’s course. Also, it would allow me to skip the DMV road test as the basic rider’s course had a graded road test as part of the package. I figured it had to be better than dealing with an examiner at the DMV!

The course cost me $169.00 and was, in my opinion, was very comprehensive. I got a lot more out of it than I thought I would. It was Friday evening from 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM, Saturday from 7:45 AM – 6:30 PM and Sunday from 7:45 AM – 4:00 PM. On the bikes we did drills, drills, and more drills. The classroom was a combination of a workbook and videos.

Friday evening was all class room. Saturday we rode from 8:00 AM until 3:30 PM with a one hour lunch and then back into the classroom. Sunday we rode from 8:00 AM until about 12:00 PM, had a one hour lunch and then did a couple of practice road tests, then took the road exam. Then into the class room for a written exam.

The first couple of hours on the bike, Saturday morning, was very basic and at first I thought that I had made a mistake, but as the skills progressed I gained an appreciation for what was being taught. Seems I had some bad habits, like looking down too much, covering the front brake and clutch during a turn, etc… The second day of riding had some pretty challenging skills especially doing a figure 8 maneuver in a very small box.

Overall I didn’t have any trouble with the course and did quite well, but it was a real eye opener for me as I think that continuing education on the motorcycle will be part of my future experiences. We had several people in the course who had never been on a bike before and did quite well. Only one person did not pass out of the nine that originally attended.

Some courses that I am contemplating in the future are the experienced rider’s course, Ride Like a Pro, and then off to the track for some instruction there. Frankly, I regret not making time last summer/fall to take this course. The good news is that I was in and out of the DMV in less than 20 minutes last Monday. I now have my Motorcycle endorsement back!

See Ya'

Joel

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Seems I had some bad habits, like looking down too much, covering the front brake and clutch during a turn, etc… The second day of riding had some pretty challenging skills especially doing a figure 8 maneuver in a very small box.- Joel

Hmmm,, Joel I not only cover the brake in a turn, I sometimes USE my front brake going into a turn. What kind of discussion of trail braking did they give you?

As for the figure 8, congradulations but I never heard of anyone saving their ass by pulling a figure 8.

How about counting Mississippi's ? - did they talk about that? Thats so important, I do it all the time. good luck, ride safe and congradulations.

I thought about doing the Lee Parks course myself but I have some doubts as to its application on the street. They teach you not to countersteer , but they say you should hang off the bike. On a track that's okay, but not sure thats safe on the road.

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
I had much the same experience with the Basic Rider Course. I took the one-day version which is for people who already have the starting/shifting/stopping thing under control. I'd like to take the more advanced course as well.

pepper

Street Tracker
I think rider safety and skill set building courses are a very positive step in the right direction and are something we should encourage in the sport. Education saves lives.

simpson

TT Racer
I took the MSF basic course last year. I apply the lessons learned on every ride.

I would like to take the Advanced Riders Course, but before I commit the $ I would like to hear from someone who has taken it.

-simpson

dscott3509

Two Stroke
I did the BRC last year, too. It was my first time on the bike. Based on what I've heard from others, I had a great instructor. She said that almost every "hard rule" that we learn in class, (never use the brake in a corner, always cover the clutch, do not cover the brake unless you use it, do not shift while in a turn, others), can be broken, but, only after experience. Most beginners do not have the touch, the finesse, to properly brake in a turn, and that will often lead to a wreck.

I was impressed with the way that they walk riders like me who have no idea on how to start a bike to riding within an hour.

DandyDoug

750cc
Never took the basic rider course, have had an MC endorsement for a long time.
I Have taken the ERC twice, Ride Like a Pro, once and several other rider training courses. I try to take something new every two years or so, I practice the Ride Like a Pro exercises every time I ride.
I learn something new everytime I take some sort of professional training and at the very least I see how many bad habits I have picked up since the last training.
In Doug world there would be a requirement that all riders and car driver take some type of a professional training every 2 years.

I met the LEO that has rights to teach "Ride Like A Pro" in NC. and plan to take his class in the spring. Maybe we could get a group rate ???

Beaman

Two Stroke
Life saver

I took the MSF Basic and I still use some of the concepts every time I ride. The instructors told me to think of cagers as the enemy out to kill me and I have been saved from getting hit too many times to count. Unfortunately letting the cagers know that they almost creamed you by giving them the universal peace symbol doesn't improve matters....

em_dot

Street Tracker
I met the LEO that has rights to teach "Ride Like A Pro" in NC. and plan to take his class in the spring. Maybe we could get a group rate ???

I would be interested in this say April - May 2010? I can travel a little Greensboro / Charlotte area if need be. I may order the DVD and practice a little this winter.

Hmmm,, Joel I not only cover the brake in a turn, I sometimes USE my front brake going into a turn. What kind of discussion of trail braking did they give you?

As for the figure 8, congradulations but I never heard of anyone saving their ass by pulling a figure 8.

Me too. I brake prior to the turn to attain appropriate entry speed. Hitting the front brake while in a turn can cause you to lose traction and go down. I learned this the hard way racing Crits (cycling) in college. It's self correcting behavior! What I got gigged for was the just covering the front brake and the clutch in a turn. I never actually touched them. The figure 8 in itself isn't a life saver, it's a drill to keep you from looking down, and to get you to look where you want the motorcycle to go (ie... through the turn). Fun regardless. It was also one of four graded events on the road test.

RonL

Scooter
The figure 8 also helps gain confidence in controlling your bike in slow, tight turns, in both directions. Some folks have an aversion to turning in one direction as opposed to another, or call it a preference, if you will. Personally, I prefer to turn left (no liberal democrat jokes please). Not that I can't do right hand turns, but if I had to do a U-turn, it would generally be a left-hand turn. The figure 8 forces both ways to be confident.

They also explained counter-leaning and looking where you want the bike to go as well as clutch, throttle, and brake control in all working together to complete a smooth figure 8.

KingBear

Hooligan
Almost anyone can maneuver at speed, but handling a bike at a slow crawl is very, very difficult. No gyroscopic stability, just throttle, clutch, and brake control combined with balance, accurate steering and looking ahead.

In other words, what Ron said.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Most people in the US prefer left turns to right because they are longer turns and not as sharp. Confidence is higher. Also, if you go down in a left turn you generally will slide/tumble away from oncoming traffic, so fear is less.

As for braking/shifting in a corner, I do it regularly. Yes you can crash if you do it wrong, but same can happen going straight. You have 100% of traction to use at any given time. They key is knowing how much you are using when you decide to brake or shift so you know how much you have to play with.

Jim :cool:

DandyDoug

750cc
Em Dot; etall:

I can contact the guy that has the franchise and see if he is interested in a group rate for the" Ride Like a Pro" class if there is enough interest.

em_dot

Street Tracker
I'd be interested for the spring for sure. I'll ask around here to see if anyone also wants in. Check your PM...

Uesque

Scooter
I did the ERC on the Harley and it was well worth it. I did the figure 8 in the smallest box, which was no easy feat on a 600 lb bike with a 64.7" wheelbase.

I know MSF tells you not to cover the brake, but several others recommend it. And if you do it correctly, you can brake in a curve, you just have to know where the limit of traction ends.

I took the Lee Parks total control course last month.

Counter steering is definitely used in the course!

The extra confidence gained in being able to turn under different conditions (street riding) was a result of taking this course. Hanging off the bike is taught, BUT it can be used in varying degrees for making turns at street corners, or in the twisties.

I highly recommend this course. Note that Lee does differentiate what he teaches vs the MSF and when you compare the two, you can decide which is best for you on a daily basis.

In fact the Marines and Navy have hired him to teach street riding techniques to their people, to help decrease the number of street accidents which are occurring in the corps.

DandyDoug

750cc
Had the pleasure to meet Lee at a M/C show a couple of years ago. Seems like a nice guy , very knowlegable, I 'd take his course if it were offered somplace close to home.

Bonniebret

Rocker
I'd be interested for the spring for sure. I'll ask around here to see if anyone also wants in. Check your PM...

I was just saying to my wife the other night that I'd be interested in taking the advanced course. Let me know what you find out.

loxpump

Rocker
I took the Illinois Motorcycle Rider Training Program's "Experienced Rider Course" last year and it was all slow speed handling. Never got out of 2nd. gear. Best part is it was free. Just had to pay a refundable $20.00 fee up front which you get back when you show up.