Motorcycle Prints

I take a lot of shots of bikes and motorsports related shit and was wondering if there was any market for a small-time photographer to sell prints. I end up printing most of my own stuff and framing them and hanging them up in my garage.

I'm not looking for sales here, just asking if it's something people besides myself are interested in. I tend to think somethings a great idea and then I realize later that I'm the only one who thought that.

So what about you dudes. Is there anyone who would hang up framed prints of bikes or cars?

DandyDoug

750cc
I have a nice collection of photo's from over the years, some framed and on display in my house.
Also have a few bits of racing swag from Assen TT, Daytona, Le mans 24hr, plus some autographed pictures and post cards of racing hero's of mine ; eg: Joey Dunlop, Anton Mang.
I even have an old program from my racing days at Daytona where I am listed along with my team as it were.

I think there are many of us out there who appreciate this kind of stuff.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
I would say start off small. If you love doing it, and you're already doing it then why not. I would start off by doing a couple of things:
- Build a portfolio of what you already have
- Make some sort of easy online website or even just a Facebook page
- Then go to your local bike nights, and club events
- I would offer the local guys deals to do pictures of their bikes (both still beauty shots, and action shots)

Personally It would have to be a VERY special shot for me to want to buy a picture of a random bike, but if someone had some killer shots of the guys I hang out with or some riding shots I'd be interested...

Best of luck,

Doug

AceT100

Rocker
I sell mine from time to time, eBay is a good place to start, I offer unframed as its easier to ship, and offer multiple print size options, and don't print them till they are paid for...I use the local Costco for prints, they are cheap & really good quality, and do them in an hour.

If you do decide to go the framed route, remember to factor in frame costs, extra packing costs & shipping...it gets expensive, and your frame choice may not fit in with everyone else's decor...that's why I just do the prints...lightweight, easy to ship & affordable gifts...

And, brutal as it will sound....not everyone will think your idea of a good picture is theirs....Over the past 20 years, I've sold maybe 50 prints......I do a lot of stuff for individual owners...that's a better option...

Good luck.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I'll echo what the others have said - I cannot imagine paying for a photo of a motorcycle, unless it was a pro shoot of my own bike, and even then I'd just take my own. I've seen plenty of awesome photography of bikes-n-bits, but not awesome enough to pay to hang it on my wall.

Good luck!

Kirkus51

Hooligan
The only thing I've paid for was a silkscreen print of a boardtracker way back when. But yea, go for it. I'd hit E-bay and Amazon. See if there's local decorators or poster outlets that might be interested.

We're in a digital age for sure and photos are so damned easy to take.

AceT100

Rocker
We're in a digital age for sure and photos are so damned easy to take.

Indeed....but a quick browse through places like Flickr etc will show the difference between a snapshot & a photograph...the photographer makes a lot of difference....

This was taken with a point n shoot....

6256078421_a974d3109e_z.jpg

This was taken with my Canon

6261288476_ea6ecfd58a_z.jpg

irishrider60

Scooter
I prefer pictures in black and white. There is just something so cool about a great classic bike in a beautiful backdrop. Especially if it is a Triumph.

AceT100

Rocker
I've started doing a lot more in Black and White
..but your gonna have to buy a copy of the magazine I'm involved in!

AceT100

Rocker
Hopefully someone at that magazine knows the difference between "your" and "you're" ;)

Nope....and we don't care...in fact, it makes it more fun....However, I will guarantee it'll have less swearing and spilling mistooks than DiCE magazine....

And as I did that earlier post on my phone, aboard a 1923 trolley, I think I did OK...and yes, I got pictures.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
Indeed....but a quick browse through places like Flickr etc will show the difference between a snapshot & a photograph...the photographer makes a lot of difference....

This was taken with a point n shoot....

<picture of house>

This was taken with my Canon

<picture of rock>

Technical quality (as posted) of the point-n-shoot way better than that of the rock. Of course the subjects and compositions are radically different so it doesn't compare anything.

AceT100

Rocker
Technical quality (as posted) of the point-n-shoot way better than that of the rock. Of course the subjects and compositions are radically different so it doesn't compare anything.

2 different day trips sadly, of I would have snapped both with both cameras!

I love the results from the Lumix...