Moto Guzzi V7

drlapo

Hooligan
my local dealer is offering a new V7 Special to me for $7500 in red
has anyone tried one of these? its 11 degrees F outside so I'm not going for a test ride
it won't replace anything; i'll just add it to the stable

it looks and "feels" good but I wonder if Piaggio will offer decent parts support

Demar

Two Stroke
my local dealer is offering a new V7 Special to me for $7500 in red
has anyone tried one of these? its 11 degrees F outside so I'm not going for a test ride
it won't replace anything; i'll just add it to the stable

it looks and "feels" good but I wonder if Piaggio will offer decent parts support

I bought a new T100 in 2011. In October 2012 I bought a new Stelvio NTX. I've spent a fair amount of time on the Wild Guzzi Board. My feeling is that the new V7 is a well engineered bike. I don't think it's as mechanically bullet proof as a Bonneville. That said, I think the new V7 is intended by Piaggio to be it's flagship bike in terms of sales. Parts are readily available but sometimes take a long time to get here from Italy. That may improve as more V7's are sold and more dealers stock parts. If I didn't have a T100 I'd most likely own a new V7. The Bonneville will out-perform the V7.

Last edited:
My feeling on the V7 is that it's a great looking bike that has nice build quality and a good heritage. However, it's underpowered, in my opinion. I wouldn't mind this so much if the older Guzzi 750's were also underpowered, but those older bikes are faster than this new one, which to me seems backwards.

That being said, I really like the V7, but if I was getting a Guzzi I think it would be an older bike, modified.

drlapo

Hooligan
i had a 1983 MG 850 LeMans
it was fast but handled very "slowly" like a racing truck
it was reliable and had a great sound
I'm sorry I sold it

Kirkus51

Hooligan
If it's a "14" V7, they've added a few horses to the bike I think. I like it and if you have to wring it out more than usual then so be it. The fun factor has to be high on that bike and that's all that matters.

drlapo

Hooligan
i have a 1985 BMW R80 50 hp 450lbs shaft drive
it's a great bike that i will own forever
I'll retire next year so if I am going to buy another bike it has to be this year and the MG sounds like a good fit
I'll know tomorrow when the dealer gives me a price "you can't refuse"

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I don't have one, nor have I test ridden one.
However I do find that I like them alot. From all that I have read they are very underpowered. At best they may be at 45 HP. When you consider a new classic Triumph might be 60HP stock, the moto guzzi needs at least another 10HP.
I would also go the the chrome one.
IMHO

drlapo

Hooligan
the MG weighs 100 lbs les than the Bonneville so the power to weight ratio is similar:
8/1 for the Guzzi and 8.5/1 for the Triumph
the Triumph has more torque and is quicker and faster due to its larger engine
I have a Thruxton and will keep it. it will be fun to compare them over an extended period
and how will it compare to my 30 year old BMW with 50hp?
OH Yeah ; my 79 T140 has 50 hp and its QUICK!
it may be more than just numbers

Have a bonnie SE and i can say that after awhile with Guzzi too (breva1100, now up for sale). The 750 small guzzi twins are good have a few niggles but found dependable, Had V50 mk3, Targa 750 before finally moving to the breva which is good. newer guzzi's are smoother, rev higher and built better but have more technology to assist. Have yet to test the V7 classic which is waht i would like once the breva is sold.

BIGWIG

Scooter
I test rode one and did not like it , Vibrated worst that a Harley
Felt comfy and handled good but to much shaken for me
Not a patch on the Bonnie

drlapo

Hooligan
well I'll perform a side by side comparison with my 05 Thruxton when the snow melts
maybe a 3 way comparison to include my 1985 BMW R80, another 50 hp twin

Last edited:

squidsix

Scooter
I had both. I bought the V7 stone a week into my visit here to Italy. It was not good to ride. It was spectacular to look at, and I miss looking at it, but I never picked it over the Bonneville. It's gone now to a Guzzi maniac locally, who got a good deal. I lost $300 toal in the sale. The price of bike education.