More first impressions - fuel consumption, etc.

Beiciwr

Scooter
Well, I've had the bike for a little over 2 weeks now, and have had a chance to brim the tank again after some 130 miles (light came on after 108).

A quick calculation show that I'm getting about 61 miles to the gallon (it'll be more accurate after more tanksful) but I have to say I'm very pleased with that.

(NB 61 mpg here in the UK = 73 mpg in the States)

I'm also pleased with the much lower centre of gravily than on my previous bike - a Bandit 1250. The Bandit always seemed to be spending much of its time trying to fall over - the Bonnie doesn't feel like that! (But then counter-steering is consequently less effective.)

The experience grows ....

marty

Scooter
I'd say 61mpg UK equates to around 51mpg US

61 mpg UK very good, I've averaged 57mpg over two years.

Beiciwr

Scooter
I'd say 61mpg UK equates to around 51mpg US

1 UK gallon = 1.2 (+ a tiny bit) US gallons.
i.e. the US gallon is 20% larger.

So you can go 20% further per US gallon (but the tank will still only hold the same amount, of course, wherever you are!) ;)

I am lucky if I get 40mpg on my 03 T100 in every day operation. I will admit that I am a little heavy handed with the throttle. I can't get enough of those Raask headers and Norman Hyde mufflers singing down the highway. I could throttle back some and get better mileage.

Actually, No I Can't!

marty

Scooter
1 UK gallon = 1.2 (+ a tiny bit) US gallons.
i.e. the US gallon is 20% larger.

So you can go 20% further per US gallon (but the tank will still only hold the same amount, of course, wherever you are!) ;)

1 UK gallon = 4.54 ltrs
1 US gallon = 3.79 ltrs
So a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon, so you go further on a UK gallon.

Beiciwr

Scooter
1 UK gallon = 4.54 ltrs
1 US gallon = 3.79 ltrs
So a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon, so you go further on a UK gallon.

I clearly stand corrected here.
If I use my usual conversion program (or indeed the conversion facility in Windows calculator) they both confirm your figures, which are obviously right.

Yet when I ask them both to convert a UK gallon direct to a US gallon they both say that 1 UK = 1.2 US.

Very odd. :d

Last edited:

marty

Scooter
I clearly stand corrected here.
If I use my usual conversion program (or indeed the conversion facility in Windows calculator) they both confirm your figures, which are obviously right.

Yet when I ask them both to convert a UK gallon direct to a US gallon they both say that 1 UK = 1.2 US.

Very odd. :d

No problem, just enjoy the bike no matter what the consumption.
:cheers:

monty

Street Tracker
I would kill for 61mpg.

I normally get mid 30's no matter how I ride be it high speed on the auto bahn or back and for to work.
Never got any better in 13 yrs.

Monty.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I get in the low 40's US miles to US gallons.

I didn't buy this bike for the fuel economy, I don't ride it for the fuel economy.

When the tacho hits 6K or so, I recon it's time to shift. Otherwise, it's "in the power band".

And damn if it doesn't get up and go from 50 to 85 or so in 3rd like a scalded cat!

When I start to wish I got more mpg I remember that my 2.8L turbo Saab Aero convertible (my daily driver) averages 21 mpg, the way I like to drive it.

Gas ain't that expensive, and it's certainly a cost-effective way to have fun!

I average 38 mpg. 42 MPG if I obey the speed limit and a slightly below.

My bike has the airbox eliminated with pod filters, Predator exhaust, SAIC removal.

Regardless, its a lot of fun and still beats a lot of cars in the MPG department.

Roger

Street Tracker
Agreed LMT. Pisses me off though when I have to flip the little lever to Reserve. That means I have to start thinking about fnding a gas station. Who went to the dealership and asked, "How many miles to the gallon does it get?" Hands up please :D

Last edited:

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Miles per gallon is only a consideration with four-wheeled vehicles. It has nothing to do with bikes. Things like logic and sense are irrelevant when it comes to bikes. Logic and sense are irritating at the best of times. Don't let them near your bikes.

monty

Street Tracker
Miles per gallon is only a consideration with four-wheeled vehicles. It has nothing to do with bikes. Things like logic and sense are irrelevant when it comes to bikes. Logic and sense are irritating at the best of times. Don't let them near your bikes.

Spot on.

I used to run Kawasaki Triples. Hilarious fuel consumption but what a ride.

What a grin........

Monty

I think MPG threads fall into the category of it would be nice to get more than 100 miles down the road before starting to worry about a gas station. Yeah, in and around town, who gives a shit? When I'm on a 1500 miles 4 day excursion, I'd love to go 150 miles between stops, my old Buell S3T could go 200 and it was 1200cc with 104 hp (after mods and Dyno documented) . Still while mileage was never a factor in the decision to go Triumph, one would think you get get further with a 4 gallon tank than we do.

My mileage is all over the board depending on twists of the proverbial wrist.