More CB750s x3 in the garage

Bonafide

NBR founder
I'll admit it, I have an obsession with these bikes. Maybe cause I hit it out of the park with the first one I owned. I havent been keeping a journal of my moto exploits this year - but I probably should. So, here's what's been happening.

I picked up this dark blue (crappy repaint) one in south Georgia and planned a complete redo. It ran ok. Nothing special. I rode it around for a couple days and found some key mechanical issues that needed to be addressed. The exhaust was horrible - open and blatty. For some reason, this bike did not trip my trigger so I parked it, put in Craigslist, and sold it.

attachment.php

Next was the Purple Rain - better known color is Boss Maroon. Nice bike. I liked it enough to start ordering parts and partially pulled it down for a mild cafe build. So .. waiting on others to get it mechanically sorted to my standards .. I got board and wanted one I can ride right now!! .. and Purple Rain is still in pieces!

attachment.php

So I found an original owner/original paint Solid Gold (Candy Gold) and bought it last week. It had a couple bits on it from the 70s aftermarket groovy catalog. The price was right and it runs excellent. Just needed a couple things to be a casual day rider without getting stupid with a build.

attachment.php

I pulled the buckhorns, sissy bar, and kickstand most riki-tiki. It also musta had at some point +6" forks cause it still has the extra long speedo cable, brake lines, fork brace, etc. Got online and started ordering the bits - and little parts are arriving on a daily basis and it just keeps getting better and better.

Video - start up and walk around. I likes it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOA7HcNGSk&list=UUKor4rmZTrtg48INa_-BhKQ&index=1&feature=plcp

attachment.php

Attachments

• cb750_2.jpg
    cb750_2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CB750_gold.jpg
    CB750_gold.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01854.jpg
    DSC01854.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1974CB750_2.jpg
    1974CB750_2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

I had a 250 elsinor, 350CB and 450CB but I have always had a soft spot for the 750....classy bike. What do good used ones cost and where is a good place to look. Thx is advance. Purple rain looks very cool.....
LMT

Cereal KLR

Two Stroke
We spent many a night going into my buddies 750. First the 836 kit, then a 900 kit that was half hand grenade. Thing just ripped, and finally was able to keep up with my Kawasaki triple. At the time ,that 16" rear wheel was the cool thing to do.

Not sure what year model had the metallic brown paint but it was beautiful and my favorite. Those bikes changed everything about motorcycling.

Bonafide

NBR founder
What do good used ones cost and where is a good place to look.
LMT

I've found all of mine on Craigslist. Either know what you're looking at or take someone with you who does. In the Southeast, $1500 gets you an ok bike that will need work and you'll probably end up spending another $500 in parts to get it rode safe/worthy (not counting labor if you're not a DIY). For $2500-3000 gets you a nice rider. $4000-6000 gets you a restored to original. Of course, the CBs are getting more and more popular and that's driving prices up.

There's a guy in South Carolina selling two 1975 CB750s for $2400. One is a daily rider, the other runs but needs work.

I prefer the 71-76 years (K model). The 69-70s are valued more. 1977-78 SOHC bikes have enough small changes that it's harder to source general parts for them. That black cafe I built was a 76 F model. If you're thinking about an F model (known as a Supersport), go for a 75-76 model. Those bikes do have a factory rear disc set up, which is pretty cool.

irishrider60

Scooter
I really enjoyed your post, very cool bikes. I have to admit I might have left the mini apes on the gold one, they just look too cool. Thanks for sharing.

strokerlmt

I've found all of mine on Craigslist. Either know what you're looking at or take someone with you who does. In the Southeast, $1500 gets you an ok bike that will need work and you'll probably end up spending another $500 in parts to get it rode safe/worthy (not counting labor if you're not a DIY). For $2500-3000 gets you a nice rider. $4000-6000 gets you a restored to original. Of course, the CBs are getting more and more popular and that's driving prices up.

There's a guy in South Carolina selling two 1975 CB750s for $2400. One is a daily rider, the other runs but needs work.

I prefer the 71-76 years (K model). The 69-70s are valued more. 1977-78 SOHC bikes have enough small changes that it's harder to source general parts for them. That black cafe I built was a 76 F model. If you're thinking about an F model (known as a Supersport), go for a 75-76 model. Those bikes do have a factory rear disc set up, which is pretty cool.

Thx for the info.....
LMT

strokerlmt

There is an auto body shop in San Luis that matches colors well. I have gotten pretty good with a mix aerosol gun. Both sets of covers have been painted at least 3 times. Anyway they are hanging in the garage if you ever need one.
LMT

Bonafide

NBR founder
It's not the matching of paint I'm concerned about - I know a guy who does the paint work for Barbers Motorcycle Museum - it was the coolness of having original paint. Not gonna let it stress me out. I picked up another tank/side covers in Boss Maroon that's original paint and looks really nice. Might just swap our the gold for the mar-ruple and then have one of my extra tanks/covers repainted something original yet usual.

JimmyR

Street Tracker
Maybe try retracing your ride. I have known stranger things to have happened than finding lost side covers. Where I live people often prop up hubcaps on the side of the road in case the people who lost them are looking for them!

Those are some very cool bikes.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Maybe try retracing your ride. I have known stranger things to have happened than finding lost side covers. Where I live people often prop up hubcaps on the side of the road in case the people who lost them are looking for them!

Those are some very cool bikes.

Thanks, but I've conditioned myself to believe that thing is long gone or roadrashed beyond me wanting it back. BTW, where I live, people steal your hubcaps while they're still on your car. :)

Mayor08

Scooter
Bonafide, I haven't been on the forum in a while but when I saw this topic I had to click for a look. I love these bikes too almost picked up another one back in December but went for a Ducati 860 GT instead. I don't plan to cafe the Duck but do have a plan for it....

Attachments

• Ginger 1.jpg
    Ginger 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 0

Bonafide

NBR founder
Here's a before/after of one we still have ... and I still like it the best.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 72cb_3_09.jpg
    72cb_3_09.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 72_cb750_nov2509.jpg
    72_cb750_nov2509.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0

Bonafide

NBR founder
and this one ...

it's the previous Gold one. I lost one of the original gold paint side covers while out riding. Made me sad, so I bought a set of tank/covers that were VERY low mileage/pristine in the Boss Maroon (purple) and slapped them on. This is being ridden as is for now .. but will get some more cool parts soon.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Gold_2_Purple_750_2.jpg
    Gold_2_Purple_750_2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
Both are very nice. Your 750F was also pretty damn nice as well.

From the sounds of it, they come up for sale quite often in your neck of the woods. Here in Seattle, even the rat baskets when/if they come up go very quickly.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Both are very nice. Your 750F was also pretty damn nice as well.

Yeah .. prob shouldnt sold it, but the owner LOVES it. He drops me an email every now and then and includes a pic or two. Apparently, it's the bomb-diggidy in Australia.

From the sounds of it, they come up for sale quite often in your neck of the woods. Here in Seattle, even the rat baskets when/if they come up go very quickly.

Not as much as I would want .. I've had to travel for the last couple. I always find all kinds of low mileage ones in the extreme north, MI, WI, etc .. where people store their bikes for long winters.