Mini Speedo wiring?

REVOLT

Street Tracker
So I did a search and nothing came up in regards to wiring a Mini-Speedo (from MikesXS) to the stock wiring? I bought the standard speedo without the internal 'idiot' lights...so the only wiring I need to worry about is the housing light. The Mini only has one bulb...the Stock Bonnie speedo has two...My Question: Which (if it even matters) do I cut and splice into the Mini-Speedo? The Stock top bulb (larger one) or the Stock lower bulb (smaller one)...and by chance would anyone know which is the ground and which is the hot wire (colors?) on the stock speedo lights? I have not checked to see if they are the basic Red & Black set up...

Thanks a TON!! I made the bracket at work today...and the will be putting all this together this weekend...

Cheers!
MONDO

drlapo

Hooligan
immediatly go to Radio Shack and give them $6 for a small muti meter
use it to identify hot and ground wires
ALL motorcycle owners, hell all Americans, should own a multi meter!

TheBBR

Scooter
Steve (custom blue painted bonnie with an arrow exhaust on the spring opener) put one on. If you need more info give me a call and I will pass his number on to you.

BBR

REVOLT

Street Tracker
WOW>> Thank You D9...I appreciate the links...however...it's still all Greek to me? I know that must seem sad...I'm pretty confident in many skill brackets...but electrical...not so much. BBR- I emailed Steve but he forgot which wires he used off of the stock speedo lights...

So...does anyone else have a mini speedo and remembers which wires from the stock lights, they connected to the red & black on the mini-speedo?

Thanks again Everyone!!

D9

Vendor
MOndo...

I'm not a wiring guy either... like you, my technical abilities lie elsewhere, so you're in good company :hj:

Or, to quote sweatmachine..."wiring sucks, Beavis."

You're clipping up the stock wiring harness anyway, right?

Why not just try a temporary connection to one of the two stock speedo lamps - either the large one or the small one, I don't think it matters... twist em together & tape or use alligator clips - if it were my harness (2003 T100) I'd try mini speedo orange to OEM red & mini speedo black to OEM brown... turn the key on the bike, see what happens... if it doesn't light up, switch the wires... it's gotta be one way or the other. Your wiring colors may
be different than whats on mine.

Here's a diagram I did for wiring mini-LED's to the stock wiring harness - probably not a great help in this situation as it only deals with indicator lamps but I'll post it anyway... figured it out by trial & error.

LED_ind_lampwiring1.jpg

Last edited:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
D9!! Thanks You!! After looking at the diagram you linked...I'm going to try the Stock Red/Blue stripped to the Mini-Speedo Red (Power?)...and the Stock Brown/Green hash marks to the Mini-Speedo Black (Ground?).

Isn't Brown usually used as a "Ground" color in wiring as well as black?

Thanks Again!! We'll see how it goes in the morning!

Cheers!
MONDO

Pokeyjoe

Scooter
One caution, however. I found that when I installed my mini-speedo, Triumph had changed the colors of a couple of the wires. It was easy enough to figure out using the OEM speedometer as a wiring guide. I sent a note to paulhdick and discovered that Triumph has used as many as five different sets of colors in their wiring harnesses.

feb4.jpg

REVOLT

Street Tracker
One caution, however. I found that when I installed my mini-speedo, Triumph had changed the colors of a couple of the wires. It was easy enough to figure out using the OEM speedometer as a wiring guide. I sent a note to paulhdick and discovered that Triumph has used as many as five different sets of colors in their wiring harnesses.

feb4.jpg

Yeah...I noticed that on the links D9 provided...the colors were different...luckily I'm only splice one...the speedo light bulb...all the idiot lights are going bye-bye...

rodburner

Rocker
Cuz he`s a full grown man,and don`t need no light to tell him he`s in neutral,his signaling arm is broke,or his engine is running.:nono:
This is the mini gauge setup i`ve been running so far this year...
jeris400.jpg

Last edited:

REVOLT

Street Tracker
Hell Yeah Steve!!

Nice & Clean...Very nice...

So I have everthing wired!!! Well...at least the speedo light...I did fab up a quick mount for the oil light, all the other idiot lights are gone. The set up looks sharp!! However, I screwed up the paint on the mount that I made...had to pull everything...sand it down, and now it's drying until tomorrow. Then I'll bolt it all back together and take some pictures.

Thanks again for all of the help...Pictures tomorrow!!

Cheers!:beer:
MONDO

REVOLT

Street Tracker
I was going to...

but one of my best brothers just moved up here from Phoenix and his Birthday was last Thurs...so we're taking him out tonight...good chance I won't be getting up befor 11am or noon tomorrow...hope the _______ is better tomorrow for you guys.

I did get everything back together this afternoon...

miniguage005.jpg

miniguage006.jpg

miniguage007.jpg

miniguage009.jpg

and it works...:rock:

Take it Greasy!!
MONDO