Mikuni carbs and throttle cables

ggRAT

Street Tracker
The [grips] on mine are for a HD, but I am using a HD sized throttle housing that fits the cables for the 42 Mikunis.

Mike, et al,

I'm assuming from this old post of Mike's that the Mikuni HSR 42mm carbs will require different throttle cables and a different grip/throttle housing than those used by the stock Keihin CVKs, right?

I recently installed some stainless steel braided lines. Must I "dump" them? Can they be altered to work with Mikunis?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ggRAT

Street Tracker
No you can't use them, and no they can't be altered, sorry for your loss..lol.

Bottle,
If I need a different throttle housing, does that mean I have to replace the right side Triumph controls, too? Or do I just disconnect the Triumph throttle cables and install a new throttle housing? Is there a closeup picture of this arrangement somewhere?

Bottle,
If I need a different throttle housing, does that mean I have to replace the right side Triumph controls, too? Or do I just disconnect the Triumph throttle cables and install a new throttle housing? Is there a closeup picture of this arrangement somewhere?

The Mikuni carb kit from Bonneville Performance comes with all you need. You won't use the stock throttle housing anymore, but will use an aftermarket HD push/pull setup provided with the kit. It works well and is easy to set up.

you can see the stock (plugged off) and also the aftermarket throttle setups here:

THROTLE_.jpg

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
+ one on Jeff's post. If it is Bill's kit, it will come COMPLETE. The Barnett cables he uses are top notch, you won't be disappointed. I know the initial price of the kit is hard to swallow, but it is well worth it, and the labor of setting these things up for Bill to sell is quite labor intensive. If you need some assistance getting the jetting right, let us know, we are here to help, but they should be really close out of the box.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Check the "Parts for Sale" section where I posted that Bonneville Performance has two (2) sets of rebuilt (like new) Mikuni HSR 42mm carbs for sale for only $400. What a deal!

(NOTE: other bits may be needed to mount the carbs which will likely increase the total cost.)

Last edited:
Check the "Parts for Sale" section where I posted that Bonneville Performance has two (2) sets of rebuilt (like new) Mikuni HSR 42mm carbs for sale for only $400. What a deal!

that sounds a little misleading/confusing compared to the "ad" you placed.

I spoke with Bill Gately (Bonneville Performance) yesterday and he said he has two (2) sets of rebuilt Mikuni HSR 42mm carbs. He's willing to sell each pair for ONLY $400, which seems like a really good deal.

Here's the deal he outlined in an email...
$400 rebuilt carbs
$150 new braces and throttle rod
$150 new cables, grips & housing
$150 new manifolds and rubbers
$850 TOTAL

That's $400 less than a kit that sells for $1250, without the air box removal kit.

If ANYONE is interested, they ought to call Bill Gately ... soon!

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
Wow, $850, that's still a hell of a deal for the kit. Unless the price of carbs went down again, $400 is the price of one new carb..lol

RumRunner

Street Tracker
Does anyone who actually has a set of Mikuni carbs know what kinds of power difference there is? According to their website the difference in power seems unreal...

Does anyone who actually has a set of Mikuni carbs know what kinds of power difference there is? According to their website the difference in power seems unreal...

there's a few of us on here that have them. They made a huge difference in the way my bike runs. They provide instant throttle response, more power, more precise tuning, and more sound.

I don't have a before/after dyno run, but prior to the carb install I already had a Wiseco 904cc kit, ported/polished head with larger valves, and of course good exhaust and the airbox removed. When I added the carbs, the butt dyno felt like the carbs gave it more go than the 904cc kit did. Of course, this could be all the bits working in unison, but if you're serious about making hp and want instant throttle response then you'll need some big flatslides.

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
I got 10hp from the 42's going from stock, plus they are waaaay easier to tune. I also have an '01, which has hotter cams than the other years though.

RumRunner

Street Tracker
yes, my gain was on a stock '01 790.

Thanks for the info...

I told myself (OK lied to myself) that when I got my Thruxton (04) this spring I wasn't going to anything to the engine, but now that I've got the suspension done, and I'm putting pieces together to black out my cases I know I'm going to end up going down that road. So I'm trying to put together a logical game plan or order in my head of what to do, and when to do it.:)

Craigore

TT Racer
I got 10hp from the 42's going from stock, plus they are waaaay easier to tune. I also have an '01, which has hotter cams than the other years though.

10hp with the carbs alone? Holy shit. I wonder what kind of difference they would make on my 05...

I wonder what HP the Keihin 39mm FCR's make..

similar to the Mikunis. I doubt there is much difference really. I like the Mikunis more, that's why I bought them. They're a little more money than the FCRs, but like Tony the Tiger says, "they're greeeeeat!"