Michelin Pilot Road 2 front tire

agro

Scooter
Had this tire on for 3K kms on the Thrux, very good tire, sticks to road like baby shit sticks to a blanket, very stable into and mid turn.
This tire is a 110-80/18 dual compound radial type.

I found that this tire made the steering feel heavy. Started @34 psi and rode the piss out of it in 30 degree C temp day, checked air presure after along ride, increased only 1 psi, tested again @ 32, 30, 28 psi.
At 28 psi the steering lightened up and air pressure was up 3psi when hot.
Run the tire with 26 psi cold, great turn in now with less effort required.

Have a Dunlop D 205 140-80/17 rear tire fitted, hard, long wearing, fairly flat tread profile.

Cheers........................Agro ;)

Stagger Lee

Street Tracker
I could not compliment this tyre enough. In my not so humble opinion it is simply the greatest front tyre I have ever had. It is brilliant in the wet and the dry, plenty of feedback which gives you the confidence to get silly with the bike. Thanks to the hard compound centre tread the tyre lasts longer than some other sports tyre's but the real winner is those sticky as hell sides - pure brilliance. I am happy to keep the rear Me880 and enjoy the odd slide I get from it but having the safest front tyre I can get is important to me because unlike Rossi or Stoner if I loose my front then I am not good enough to save the bike.

This tyre should be your first performance upgrade. :cool:

:) Hey guys...forgive my ignorance but what size rear do you find to be good for the Thrux...? I was looking today and came across the Roadsmarts but they only do a 150/70 x 17. I have heard and read that a lot of guys are fitting a 150. Is there enough room? any dramas with the rolling diameter. I mean I'm old school so I would be thinking something like, 130/80...140/70...150/60...if you know what I mean. Keeping the same basic rolling diameter.

Cheers guys....:cool:

innominate

Street Tracker
:) Hey guys...forgive my ignorance but what size rear do you find to be good for the Thrux...? I was looking today and came across the Roadsmarts but they only do a 150/70 x 17. I have heard and read that a lot of guys are fitting a 150. Is there enough room? any dramas with the rolling diameter. I mean I'm old school so I would be thinking something like, 130/80...140/70...150/60...if you know what I mean. Keeping the same basic rolling diameter.

i'm not 100 percent but i haven't read of any clearance probs with the 150 rear. and ya want the 150/70/17 (25.3diam)if you wanna keep the same diam as the 130/80 stocker(25.2diam). the 140/70 will be a few tenths smaller and the 140/80 will be a few tenths bigger than stock.

but i don't think those numbers are written in stone and can vary slightly from brand to brand and tire to tire. but i'm sure someone will point it out if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
i'm not 100 percent but i haven't read of any clearance probs with the 150 rear. and ya want the 150/70/17 (25.3diam)if you wanna keep the same diam as the 130/80 stocker(25.2diam). the 140/70 will be a few tenths smaller and the 140/80 will be a few tenths bigger than stock.

but i don't think those numbers are written in stone and can vary slightly from brand to brand and tire to tire. but i'm sure someone will point it out if i'm wrong.

;) Hi Innominate, its the same old when it comes to tyre sizes. You've got your width say the 140mm...then the 70 means 70% of that in profile...so 70% of 140 is, 98mm and then your X whatever is your rim size., but you all know that anyway so I'll just shut up now. I think I'll go the 110/80 Front and the 150/70 rear in the Roadsmarts and see what kind of trade in deal I get for the new Metz they come with. My tyre dudes are right next door to our local trump dealer, so i'll be pushing her around there and ripping off the tyres, delacing the rims, powder coating the hubs and anodizing the rims and then whacking it all back together again with the Dunlops on it. Just have to source some Stainless spokes.

Cheers Guys...:cool:

innominate

Street Tracker
blackston. i do remember that i read the other day that if you do go 150 ya need to make sure that the tire you pick will fit on the 3.5" stock rim. i think think some of the 150's will only fit on a 4"+ rim.

ps let us know how they work out.

:) Hey man, yeah thats what I was worried about and I was trying to stick to a 150/60 to save the same rolling diameter without ballooning at all. But, back in the day when I worked over here at a place called TJ's tyres in Canberra, I used to run the old K700 rear Dunlop radials and man were they tight fuckers to fit. So you could always go up a size and all would be cool. I'm hoping that the Roadsmarts are kinda the same...dunno dude...I'll check it out and get back to ya

Cheers....:cool:

agro

Scooter

G'day Blackston.

150/70-17 is the same diameter as the 130/80-17, I run a 140/80-17 rear to increase rolling diameter which has effect of quickening up the steering, increasing reaar ride height and raising the gearing. Have previous run a 160/70 -17 which is the same rolling diameter as the 140/80-17, this 160 looked ok on the stock rim and was able to use all of the tread on this tire. I had a tire chart the idicated a 160/70 is ok to use on a 3.5 inch rim, but the manufacturers do not recommend this.

:) Yep I can see your thinkin there Agro, 105mm to 112mm in wall height from the 150/70 to the 140/80. Would quicken your steering a tad. Do you feel ass up at all?? Yeah I agree I think a 160 is overkill for the rim. I reckon you'd be pushing the front too hard and not using all your rear. Probably get that tipping feeling as well. You know like lean , lean, lean, tip, smash type shit.

Thanks Agro.....cheers mate....:cool:

agro

Scooter
:) Yep I can see your thinkin there Agro, 105mm to 112mm in wall height from the 150/70 to the 140/80. Would quicken your steering a tad. Do you feel ass up at all?? Yeah I agree I think a 160 is overkill for the rim. I reckon you'd be pushing the front too hard and not using all your rear. Probably get that tipping feeling as well. You know like lean , lean, lean, tip, smash type shit.

Thanks Agro.....cheers mate....:cool:

Hey mate here is a link for tyres

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=6

http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/tires.aspx?LookupID=1

I do not think 7mm in increased ride height is noticable.
Personaly i think the Thruxton needs at least an inch(25mm) longer shocks and an inch longer forks, tinking about getting scrambler or speedmaster fork tubes, scrambler tubes are an inch longer and speedmasters are at least 2 inches longer.

:) Thanks Agro, good links mate...pity most of the 150's need the 4" rim though...Mmmmm...I still think I might have a go at the Dunlop Roadsmarts if I can get them mate. Once again I'll keep you posted. Had a look at the new 08 Thrux today. FI with the new bars and bar ends. Nice paint job. Back tomorrow to have a sit on it as it was in getting the throttle bodies sorted out. Just want to check the new riding position out. Going for the 08 with the clipons and carbs myself. More fun to play with. Carbs are good, carbs are fun!!

cheers man....:cool:

agro

Scooter
:) Thanks Agro, good links mate...pity most of the 150's need the 4" rim though...Mmmmm...I still think I might have a go at the Dunlop Roadsmarts if I can get them mate. Once again I'll keep you posted. Had a look at the new 08 Thrux today. FI with the new bars and bar ends. Nice paint job. Back tomorrow to have a sit on it as it was in getting the throttle bodies sorted out. Just want to check the new riding position out. Going for the 08 with the clipons and carbs myself. More fun to play with. Carbs are good, carbs are fun!!

cheers man....:cool:

brett, if you have a look at the alternate rim colunm in thewse websites I posted 3.5 to 4.5 inches is ok for 150/70-17 rear tires, Thruxton rim is 3.5 inches, this site indicates that 150/60 is ok for a 3.5 inch rim;
http://forums.delphiforums.com/acecafe/messages?msg=780.1

:) Hey Agro,

Mate I cant get a Roadsmart in a 150/60 so its either the 150/70 on the 3.5 or I go Pilots at 140/70. I can do a pirelli diablo rosso in the 150/60 and a Roadsmart front in a 110/80 . I'm just so confused!!! if I still smoked weed I'd be bashin the billy right now!!!

Cheers man....:cool:

Blackston...;)